Another priest molestation scandal... (3 Viewers)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
What's sad is when I read the title I instantly thought " why am I not surprised"

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Awaiting source of the higher rate of priests molesting children than any other demographic.
It would be difficult to cite a source with accurate data in regards to this because the Catholic Church is so protective of their child fiddlers: it reflects badly on the institution as a whole. It would suffice to say that the number of priests that have been outed as sex offenders is less than those that have existed and do exist today.

(...and I should probably include religious clergymen in the Pentecostal church, in the body count also.)

Source = personal experience.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
No but they do take an vow of celibacy. They are more likely to break it with children.

That is what Galapagos is saying. He's not saying they "break their vow of celibacy with children". That doesn't make sense. You are implying the quote is "break their vow of [celibacy with children]", when it's actually "break their [vow of celibacy] with children"
None of what soloooo said made sense initially, then I realised he/she was being not only irrelevant but a smart ass (by using the strict definition of "Celibacy"). So lame.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No but they do take an vow of celibacy. They are more likely to break it with children.
Why are they more likely to break it with children? In-fact, given the society we live in it should d be the opposite.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
In the US about 2% of Roman Catholic priests have sexually exploited minors (e.g., anyone under the age of 18).
(Goodstein, 2003; Jenkins, 2001; Loftus and Camargo, 1993; W. V. Robinson,
2002; Rossetti, 2002a).

God only knows how many trusted religious authority figures have done so.

This is such a depressing topic.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
In the US about 2% of Roman Catholic priests have sexually exploited minors (e.g., anyone under the age of 18).
(Goodstein, 2003; Jenkins, 2001; Loftus and Camargo, 1993; W. V. Robinson,
2002; Rossetti, 2002a).

God only knows how many trusted religious authority figures have done so.

This is such a depressing topic.
and how many Jewish rabbi, or Islamic Iman, or Scientology preachers etc?

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Too tired to find out tonight, I've been bombed out with writing an argumentative essay on something else.

qawe

HSC
N/A
Indeed Mohammed himself did this.
The Taliban were notorious for this. Just read The Kite Runner.
At the very least these sorts of things must be latent.

Annihilist

HSC
Why are they more likely to break it with children? In-fact, given the society we live in it should d be the opposite.
That's what Galapagos said. I would say it's because children are naive and easily exploitable, especially given they are compelled to the "confession box" by their religion.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
LOL they are not compelled to go to confession. you dont have enough of an idea of the religion to have an opinion on it.
That is not necessarily true. I have a very good understanding of Christianity myself; I grew up in the Pentecostal church whilst attending catholic schooling throughout my entire education, so I became rather acquainted with most aspects of it. In fact I know I had a better knowledge base on the Catholic faith than most of my fellow students!

You cannot say whether a person can or cannot have an opinion on religion, you don't know anything about them personally to say that, let alone imply they don't know anything on the topic.

Note: I came across a study last night that looked at the psychological trends within 25 men who were sexually abused by priests whilst growing up; a point I picked up whilst skimming was that most of the boys were confused about their sexuality/unsure why they felt compelled to be sexually active, so they went to confession and this somehow led to abuse...another interesting fact was that the majority were planning on becoming priests themselves (obviously they did not follow on that ambition after their unfortunate experiences).

Galapagos

HSC
N/A

MrFox

HSC
N/A
LOL they are not compelled to go to confession. you dont have enough of an idea of the religion to have an opinion on it.
we were told that we couldn't have communion bread unless we went to confession. if we didn't have our communion bread, our soul would die because it wasn't being fed, and we would go to hell.

na110793

HSC
Your other post was too long to quote and I couldn't delete cos I'm on my phone but you're an idiot. You don't know shit about roman catholic beliefs. Fucking chime.
+1

Why did you delete that post? "Atheists are annoying"? My God, I can't believe something like that exists. I'll happily argue that with you outside this thread.
Yeah guess what? People hate atheists. Not because they are right (which, in and of itself, is a fucking thesis), but because they are such fucking bigots. Look at that dick "theamazingathiest" on YouTube. Takes a small event that happened in a small town, BLOWS IT OUT OF FUCKING PROPORTION AND ASSUMES THAT ALL RELIGION IS LIKE THIS.

You are right about the priests choosing this lifestyle, but do remember that many people choose the religious faith and still struggle with the sexual repression, especially orthodox believers. Through fear of hell and God they celibate themselves regardless of their better judgement. One may argue that individuals, and not the organisation, are responsible for this stupidity, but nonetheless, this is but one case against organised religion.
Fuck off.
Don't spew shit about religion/denominations that you know fuck all about. As an Orthodox Christian, I know several Orthodox Christian families living in bliss. The parents are lawyers, doctors, psychologists etc, and the kids are straight A students, who lead good lives. For example, they are by no means sexually repressed, because one of the families has 11 kids. Now, priests in the Orthodox church can get married, but before they are ordained. So they aren't sexually repressed either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Keep the personal insults out of the discussion please.

lolcakes52

HSC
So what I am curious about is whether Priests ever molest adults, or attempt to seduce them. This could shed some light on whether the desire stems from a repressed sexuality or something else. If adults aren't molested or abused then I really think that the religious institutions are disgusting. Imagine being more afraid of having an open relationship with someone you love than being discovered for abusing children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)