Another projectile motion question (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hi guys,
I need just quick help with a part of this question:

Prove that the range on a horizontal plane of a particle projected upwards at an angle A to the plane with velocity V metres per second is (V²sin 2A)/g metres
A garden sprinkler sprays water symmetrically about its vertical axis at a constant speed of V metres per second. The inital direction of the spray varies continuously between angles of 15 and 60 degrees to the horizontal.
Prove that, from a fixed position O on level ground, the sprinkler will wet the surface of an annular region with centre O and with internal and external radii V²/2g and V²/g metres respectively.
*Deduce that, by locating the sprinkler appropriately relative to a rectangular garden bed of size 6 metres by 3 metres, the entire may be watered provided that (V²/2g) ≥ 1 + √(7)

I got everything except the * part, in which I am clueless on how to approach....
Thanks...

haque

HSC
draw two concentric circles and draw the rectangle in the annular region between the circles(rectangle side touching the circumference of the circle). construct a line from O to an edge of the rectangle(call it OX) and a perpendicular to the furthest edge of the rectangle(call the furthest edge XY)
thus let this point on furthest edge be D
OD^2=OX^2-XD^2 but entire bed will be wet if OD>=3+V^2/2g
(V^2/g)^2-9>=(3+V^2/2g)^2
solving gives V^2/2g>= root 7 +1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)