Another twilight dicussion. Love it? Hate it? (1 Viewer)

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
Think of literature. And Twilight.

Some people will find literature sucks cos its boring, for their closed minds.

And then the same people will like Twilight, but it's not good..
Quick question, does anyone have a good solid reason why they think Twilight (book) is good? And not because 'edward is soo sweeeet!'

HSC
Uni Grad
imho, it had potential to be significantly less horrible (I could possibly even go to the extent, dare I say it, maybe even 'good') had someone with a fraction of a brain written it. She is just too noob really, the level of writing and the 0 character development lead to the poor reception amongst intellectuals. However it was successful and (somehow) managed to acquire a large amount of support and fans.

As for your question why someone would think twilight is 'good', I cannot help you there. The best thing I can say about it is that I found a portion of the plot 'ok', but it doesn't even begin to outweigh lack intellectual stimulation and general shittyness of how it was written.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Stephanie Meyer simply knows what appeals to tweenage girls because in that sense, she is still one herself. a sexually oppressed woman, insecure, melodramatic, idealistically romantic, and unexperienced. in other words she is basically an author of a piece of fanfiction and has a thorough understanding of her target audience and crucial market area

EDIT: this post should be quoted for some blurb.

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Stephanie Meyer simply knows what appeals to tweenage girls because in that sense, she is still one herself. a sexually oppressed woman, insecure, melodramatic, idealistically romantic, and unexperienced. in other words she is basically an author of a piece of fanfiction and has a thorough understanding of her target audience and crucial market area
Hahahaha..

HSC
Uni Grad
rofl, yeh

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC

Lol true, i thought that myself. Maybe she isn't smart in the sense of a creative and intellectually stimulating writer, but smart enough to realise that teenage girls will literally eat the crap she shoveled into that book. And she got a movie out of it so you gotta wonder if she did something right.

But i maintain that i have no respect for anyone who likes the book. Unless they can give everyone a good answer to that question in my OP.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Lol true, i thought that myself. Maybe she isn't smart in the sense of a creative and intellectually stimulating writer, but smart enough to realise that teenage girls will literally eat the crap she shoveled into that book. And she got a movie out of it so you gotta wonder if she did something right.

But i maintain that i have no respect for anyone who likes the book. Unless they can give everyone a good answer to that question in my OP.
i have a very manly friend who actually loves twilight which pretty much takes all credibility away from his wogginess, his hairiness, his stomach for alcohol.

Lord Farquad

HSC

this is the best post you have ever made

true story

Lukybear

HSC

rdy for post-doctoral in english literature?

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
what is everyone talking about. I feel sick, someone just called me unfunny and stupid
lol sorry about that, nobody is calling you stupid! i fully agreed with what you said, but have yet to see anyone give a good defence.

CecilyMare

HSC
No somebody called me stupid and unfunny in some atheist galore thread, and it traumatized me for a few minutes

magickmidget

HSC
N/A

This and she (though probably accidentally) manages to describe Edward at such length I threw down the book in frustration but keeps Bella amazingly simple, so much so that any girl could relate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)