Another year, another unjust HSC (1 Viewer)

injustice

dissonance

ah, I'm a guy...and yeah that website doesn't seem particularly correct. Appearently girls can link the right and left sides of their brain better. This helps them to multi-task and think logically and creatively at the same time --- two skills that are vital for HSC success. Secondly, I know this is a generalisation, but on average girls seem to be more conciencious (sp?) about their work then boys are.

If anything in the HSC is biased against boys in general is the emphasis on process and reflection. I think its generally accepted that girls are more in touch with and can express their emotions easier than guys can --- thus girls would probably higher marks on average in a reflective writing response.

more girls will be able to enter higher-paid, professional work, thus bolstering support for the government from the women's lobby.
if thats what the govt. is aiming to do its obviously not working because I don't see too many female CEO's running around the place.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Appearently girls can link the right and left sides of their brain better. This helps them to multi-task and think logically and creatively at the same time --- two skills that are vital for HSC success. Secondly, I know this is a generalisation, but on average girls seem to be more conciencious (sp?) about their work then boys are.
dare i ask where did you get this from?

I think it depends on the person. Boys are just too much of a rebel. Girls end up obeying parent's response more.

It's nothing to do with intelligence. It's their behaviour towards study. Generally no one proved who's superior or not, it's genetic.

And the problem with female CEOs are that there's the glass ceiling, set by male CEOs, and there's also problems with pregnancy and career choices. And the housewive images.

That won't change for a sometimes.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I think that the difference IS more from cultural and social influences. Our behaviour towards the academia in general is affected by our parents. I've also got an article about boys and the expression of emotion, which leads to us not being able to write better.

I'll post the article when I scan it, dinner now.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
yes womens brains are "better connected" then mens...

Because of higher levels of oestrogen in women allow greater growth in that region when they are still a foetus. Causing a drastic reduction in the synapse (the gap between the left and right sight of the brain) and improving connecting tissue...

well something along those lines..i saw it on catalyst a week or so ago lol;\

to say that the governement is conspirijng to "dumb" down males to appease women's lobby groups IS rather stupid.

The education system is geared up for women (deliberately..nah)teaching methods favour passive methods over learning over active methods..and therefore favour girls..

interesting how many more boys then girls get diagnosed with ADHD at a primary school level....is it because little johnny just cant sit still during story hour? Abyway im going totally off arent I...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
*grrr... * these people should allow .tif images.... I pasted it into word
Well, I've got the article. It's huge because I can't be bothered typing it...
I'll admit that it is off topic and nothing to do with education, but guys are raised differently than girls. Blame your parents for feeding you footie fever (allit. and ono.?).

A significant number of cases of ADHD's may be misdiagnosed. Boy's are more active and doctors (and concerned parents) are more than drug happy to help kids to stay concentrated for school.

The science part I won't refute, it's correct as far as I know.

I can't say that the government is dumbing down men, the article's not referencing their accusations of govt. financial assistance to just girl in educations.

note: conscientious, I think.

edit: a bit of flaw in sentence structure and logic...

Attachments

Last edited:

dissonance

haha, yeah...thanks neo_o. Thats what I was talking about, but you have a much better memory than me....

and your right, I wasn't saying the govt. deliberately made up the 'reflection' questions just so girls will look smarter. They probably do it cause they think its good for us dim-witted, un-connected guys to get in touch with our emotions occasionally!

Duckman

sounds to me that the person who wrote that was looking for a scapegoat to blame for it all

injustice

Whether boys or girls are smarter was actually not the focus of my concern.

Whether they are or not, we (boys) are significantly underperforming and underachieving in education. It's the end results that matter.

Let's look at another example: women have babies, men don't. Therefore, men are able to work without taking extended breaks from work. What happens? In a free market, employers prefer men as they don't take as much time off, and they don't have to pay them maternity leave and bring in temps for a year. The result: government intervenes to try to level the playing field.

THAT'S my case. Whenever females are disadvantaged because they are female, the government steps-in to level the playing field with funding and legislation. Whenever males are disadvantaged because they are male, we have to make it through on our own.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
i say boys are underperforming.

i was supposed to be #1 at maths :smirks: :D

but for all of the prelim year and the first half of the HSCyear i did not do a single homework, or revision, save that 1 day before test, and played starcraft broodwar online for hours daily?

then i realised it was a waste of time, so i started converting to the nerd religion.

don't know, but why are girls so obedient? save that for some rebels, but most asian girls in my school studies a lot.

And i just knew that if i studied all those stuff spent on online games, i could'of easily aced everything :(

bah, now i'm 5th in my 4unit class. But i learned my lesson and won't repeat this next year. Thank god i'm accelerated :). And the people above me are likely to get pretty high :)

and this was also the problem of many other boys, save that online gaming stuff, they don't like studying :)

sar sar

Banned
ok hang on... us girls may fluke the odd exam - take me for example - but that dont mean that we is smart...

i can do my subjects but.. not all THAT well. especially bio:confused: no matter how i study i still do pretty shit..then again it could be to do with not listening in class:eek:

i think i kinda missed out on the whole brain fusing thing so im always on another planet (which is really wen not wanting to study):p :p :p

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
its interesting though that there are way more males then females at selective schools (well this is the case at mine its probably 65%+ male.)...could the focus on maths of the selective exam be the cause of this...will more girls get in because the focus is being taken off maths and put more onto english..

its just interesting to see that girls actually do generally out-perform guys in english and guys generally outperform girls in maths

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Would all the blokes using their sex as an excuse for their laziness please stop? You're a bunch of slack-arsed gyets that can't be bothered to put the hours in.

Jellymonsta

we're guys; we need excuses to justify our laziness :D
guys in general = bunch of slack-arsed gyets that can't be bothered to put the hours in.

not to insinuate you are not a guy :p

its a known fact that asian women will take over the world one day, being as a race smarter, and as a sex smarter. but they wont be driving :)

injustice

(Assuming Bon's comments were aimed at me...)

Firstly, if you read my posting you'll know that I'm ticked off because even though I haven't even sat my HSC yet, I know that statistically I'll perform less than I should because I'm a male.

Secondly, you accuse me of being a sexist guy. What have I said that's sexist? The answer is: nothing!! You read sexism and misogyny in what I wrote. Don't project that onto me.

And for everyone else out there: you're still not seeing my point!! You reply that guys "study less often", "study less hard", "are disobedient" etc etc. And they are all valid points.

But my argument is why aren't they being fixed? When girls have anorexia does the government say "tough luck" or does it print pamphlets and sponsor research, even though that's something girls do to themselves?

Boys underperform in school and underparticipate in higher education. Whether it's because we're dumber, lazier, disobedient or feel that studying is "uncool", this needs research as well.

However it's not getting researched. The government knows boys are doing poorly at school and has known for years; it's just not doing anything about it.

PS neo_o, check the link again, you'll find girls do better at maths as well:

http://www.geocities.com/socialunderclass/education

Jellymonsta

if you successfully educated the majority of males to a university level, who would be left to do the physical jobs that need doing, and cant just be mechanised? i just cant see someone doing a 4 yr course and then going back to being a bricklayer.
there have never been that many female bricklayers, so were not losing that many labourers if they get educated.
we all have a place in life. ;) you just have to learn to respect bricks.
plus bear in mind that most government officials are married - and almost all male. they have to answer to their wives :evilwhip:

seriously though, i understand girls (generally) do better than guys at the HSC. but the girls at my school dont get any extra assistance than us males; they earn the better marks. the maths courses are not english-oriented, so there is no gender bias there. yet girls are better at that too. we just suck :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)