answering law questions (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
are we allowed to use first person pronouns. im talking about an exam situation, where youre answering a 'problem question', and the answer might be subjective.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
are we allowed to use first person pronouns. im talking about an exam situation, where youre answering a 'problem question', and the answer might be subjective.
First person is preferable for reflective-type assessments.

For problem questions, strictly use an objective register.

''It is submitted'', ''It is argued that'', ''It is likely that'', ''It would seem that'' RATHER THAN ''I strongly believe'', ''I think that'', ''In my view'', ''In my opinion'', ''As we can see''

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
As above, think of yourself as an arbitrator looking at both sides and weighing their arguments (up to you to come up with arguments in the first place). But also note that although saying "i think" may be ok, better to say stuff like "it seems to be" " it appears that" or when you're feeling like an absolute fucking boss, "well, clearly there is no such......".

HSC
N/A
As above, think of yourself as an arbitrator looking at both sides and weighing their arguments (up to you to come up with arguments in the first place). But also note that although saying "i think" may be ok, better to say stuff like "it seems to be" " it appears that" or when you're feeling like an absolute fucking boss, "well, clearly there is no such......".
hahaha. i love doing that.

thanks for the quick responses. i have an exam on the duty of care on saturday.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I used them all the time... Makes it a shit load easier and prevents you from writing drivel... I can tell you straight... How they teach you to write essays in VCE/HSC is a load of absolute crap...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
First person is preferable for reflective-type assessments.

For problem questions, strictly use an objective register.

''It is submitted'', ''It is argued that'', ''It is likely that'', ''It would seem that'' RATHER THAN ''I strongly believe'', ''I think that'', ''In my view'', ''In my opinion'', ''As we can see''
Pretty much this.

I've only ever had two exceptions to this rule:

1. If I am absolutely desperate, I will say something along the lines of: "This author submits that ______".

2. After arguing a point of view, I like to back myself by arguing that a contrary view still supports my point of view. "A is liable for XYZ. Even if I am wrong [something something something], using this way of legal thought, A is still liable for XYZ."

But other than that, go by what Rivalry of Troll said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)