Answering Question 14 - Regarding Ethics (1 Viewer)

wind

HSC
I know that for Paper 1 - Section 3 of the English paper, the Area of Study, that there's a set structure, i.e.:

Thesis: includes the positioning statements, introduction of texts, overview of focus areas and linking to the question, etc...

But for SOR I'm somewhat confused as to how the answer should be planned. I've been told that the question on ethics is to evaluate, which is to set yourself a criteria in the introduction, to which your values and judgements should be based on.

It's the following paragraphs that I get lost and usually end up doing a "mind dump" as my physics teacher likes to put it - where I simply dump everything I know onto the page - and ending up with a very incohesive piece.

All I'd like to know is how to plan the essay out, with supporting quotes, sacred scriptures and what-not. Or am I completely off the track?

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Firstly just dont automatically assume that they will put an evaluate question, be prepared for others also. Secondly they do want a structured essay but i dont think that it has to be as highly structured as an essay in english, they arnt going to deduct marks if you mention something in the body that you didnt introduce in the opening paragraph. For the trial question i followed this basic structure that allowed me to get a decent mark of 20/20

Paragraph:
1. Introduce options chosen, basic outline of ethics and religions chosen
2. Talked about sacred stories in general
3. Talked about sacred stories specific to Christianity
4. Talked abotu sacred stories specific to Judaism
5. Beliefs in general
6. Beliefs for Christianity
7. Beliefs for Judaism
8. Summary and conclusion

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
The SOR CR section has no structure ie you cannot second guess what the markers are going to ask (unlike English which is straight regurgitation, SOR is a true Humanities subject which means you you really cant wing it!!...stoopid English. Useless subject (not skills, subject)

Anyway, best way to 'prepare' for SOR CR studies is to familiarise yourself with the course glossary terms, the syllabus (not the content though that is very important) but the dot points so you can see/demonstrate where things 'fit' and most importantly, familiarise yourself with the marking criteria (see sample 2004 HSC paper). You may notice that there is a bit of a pattern if you look ie to get the top answer you must, X, Y, Z

Look at past papers as well (even if the structure is different as this will help you get used to the styles of questions) BUT NOTE: the structure has changed so there are no 3 parters and more importantly, there is no common structure or glossary term (most teachers/students seem to forget this and they plan on their being 6 "evaluate' questions etc). The board scrapped this to stop students from planning prepared essays as they were not answering the questions (refer to standards packages)

Short and simple, dont plan essays but plan on just answering the question correctly (again, refer to marking criteria to see what I mean- the top band is just answering the entire question 'properly' -as per the set question)

Hope this helps (a little)!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)