Answers about Law (1 Viewer)

1000words

HSC
Hi everyone,

My name is David and I have recently discovered about this forum! I have completed a combined science/law degree at Monash University.

Throughout my studies, I also enjoyed being a year 12 tutor to many students! In the next few days, I will try going through this particular forum to help out as much as I can. If you have a few question to direct at me, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to help you out with information! If I can't help you, I'll be sure to ask people who will know.

Best of luck particularly to those who wish to pursue studies in law.

Regards,
David

1000words

HSC
subdued123 said:
hi David,

forgive me if i sound blunt, but i was wondering why you offered such kind assistance? Are you a law tutor? And why in the UTS law school forum? Will you be coming here next year?

Monash has a great law school i hear, can you tell me more about it? cheers.
Hi there Subdued,

Why am I offering assistance? I believe it is from my background of tutoring year 12 students that I find myself happy to provide advice to those who have just finished high school, particularly in relation to law school in which I have personal experience. I have nothing much to gain but it does take time to think over people's questions and respond to them in a helpful manner.

Am I a law tutor? No, I'm not. I'm merely a law graduate.

Why in the UTS law school forum? I do not offer advice on UTS-specific matters as I have no personal experience there. However, I have noticed that there are many law-related forums and the questions are posted here and everywhere so I advertised that I could offer general law related advice throughout those law forums. I wish there was a Victorian area where I can offer more advice relating to the Melbourne law schools. I've only noticed recently that this is pretty much a NSW-specific HSC site, for the moment.

Will you be coming here next year? No, I won't.

"Monash has a great law school i hear, can you tell me more about it? cheers." - Monash is a reputable law school and I am glad to have gone there. What aspects of Monash have you heard about that is great? I found it to be a positive experience; it has a good reputation which carries a lot of weight when applying for employment. However, I imagine most good law schools have a similar standard and approach to teaching. I think it's up to the individual in the end to take it as far as they want.

Please feel free to let me know if you would like further information.

Regards,
David

1000words

HSC
subdued123 said:
I was wondering if you could tell me about the current law market, as it were - are you applying for work? What areas of law are you into and why? Everyone's always talking about how tough the law market is - urban legends or hard facts?
Hi there Subdued,

I believe the current graduate law market (for corporate firms) has improved slightly from a year or two ago when there were crazy cuts to graduate places. It seems to be cyclic but will always remain very competitive because may just be talking about an increase in a top-tier firm from 20 to 25. It may amount to more positions but when you consider the number of students that graduate from law school and wish to enter the major corporate firms, it's still tough. However, I recall that there are lots of opportunities in suburban and country firms.

Urban legends or hard facts - well, I think it's a matter of perspective. Someone who continues to perform as they did in year 12 and maintains extracurricular activities finds little difficulty in getting a job. Those who are the cream of the crop always get positions regardless of the economic climate. It's usually 'tough' for people to get positions mainly because others have beaten them to it - I believe that it's usually the case of a person who has left it too late to start building a profile based on the career path they wish to pursue but sometimes, it's simply tough and hard to evaluate. Nonetheless, I add that there are endless opportunities to those who remain determined and continue to apply for as long as it takes - everyone I know who has taken this approach has ALWAYS landed a position of their choice.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
David

1000words

HSC
Hi everyone,

Seeing as I believe everyone has put in their preferences for university, I will have a break from visiting the BOS law forums to answer questions.

I have subscribed (to receive email notification) to the 'Answers about Law' thread in the University General -> Law forum so please feel free to post a question there and I will be happy to answer any queries for you.

Alternatively, feel free to email me (via http://1000words.net) if you have any questions!

I hope that I have helped in some way and wish you the best of luck in the future!

Regards,
David

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)