Answers to General Maths Exam (1 Viewer)

Kelly47

HSC
VeronikaB said:
man, i can't rember my answers.
but que. 3
i think i wrote 24.
i am so pissed.
I think I did that too, for the value of N question. I'm not sure if I did, but I am so annoyed with myself over it, as I think I saw 24 and just went, yep that's it. D: I knew that the N was 4 but I didn't read the question properly. Maybe I did put 4... I hope so. ><

And I think I had .21mil/min for that question, but I'm not certain.

Kiim2507

HSC
errriot said:
Question (ii): It is recommended that blah blah blah a maximum of one standard drink every hour.
Express this as a rate in millilitres per minute, correct to one decimal place.

From (i): 1.6 standard drink = 20.625 mL of alcohol, according to your answers...

So how many minutes in an hour again?
According to your answers it's 3.3 minutes.
[20.625/1.6 = 12.89mL alcohol/std drink, 12.89/3.9 = 3.3 minutes]
Good work genius!

You're really going to go well in that exam... Can you actually tell the time?

The correct answer is 0.21mL/min, assuming that there are, in fact, 60 minutes in an hour.
Don't be a tool
There are two ways of interpretting the question:

375mL = 1.6 SDs
1SD = 234.375mL
234.375mL / hour
= 3.90625mL / min

20.625mL = 1.6 standard drinks
Therefore 1 standard drink = 12.89...mL
12.89...mL/hour
= 0.214...mL / minute

Oh and if you're so 'intelligent' you would have realised the question is asking for the first answer thus 0.21mL/min is wrong

Last edited:

errriot

HSC
Kiim2507 said:
Don't be a tool
There are two ways of interpretting the question:

375mL = 1.6 SDs
1SD = 234.375mL
234.375mL / hour
= 3.90625mL / min

20.625mL = 1.6 standard drinks
Therefore 1 standard drink = 12.89...mL
12.89...mL/hour
= 0.214...mL / minute

Oh and if you're so 'intelligent' you would have realised the question is asking for the first answer thus 0.21mL/min is wrong
no the question is NOT asking for the first answer. its talking about standard drinks therefore alcohol therefore method 2.
and if you're that bad at maths surely you must be good at something.. maybe english? so read the question. the last thing it talked about in millilitres before it asked for millilitres per minute was alcohol.

in conclusion, you are about at retarded as OP.

epic fail

Kiim2507

HSC
The question was

c) (ii) It is recommended that a fully-licensed male drive should have a maximum of one standard drink every hour.
Express this as a rate in mLs per minute, correct to one decimal place.

And actually I did put 0.2mL/min but I believe the first answer is correct

John-G-B-2008

HSC
All you need to see to realise that this question is asking you to work out the amount of ALCOHOL in the drink is that it is worth 3 marks!!

a 3 mark question would not simply ask you to divide 375 by 60 that is ridiculous. The way of finding mLs per minute for alcohol is much more difficult.

and also one standard drink refers to the amount of alcohol in something not the total amount of drink.

Last edited:

PC

HSC
N/A
The question is not so much badly worded, but badly set out. The space between the paragraphs in (ii) is not helpful. The last paragraph states:

Express this as a rate in millilitres per minute, ...

What "this" is is not contained in the paragraph. So you have to go back somewhere find out what "this" actually is!

Some people have correctly calculated the rate of alcohol consumption (0.2 mL/min), by going back to the start of the question. Some people have correctly calculated the rate of liquid consumption (3.9 mL/min), but going back to the first paragraph in the same part. The fact that such ambiguity exists suggests that both answers could possibly be marked as correct.

If (ii) was just written as a single paragraph, would you interpret the question any differently?

There are no "official" results from the BOS as such, but it would be interesting to see what various publications come up with. Anyway, it's all over bar the shouting. I suppose that's what we're having now.

errriot

HSC
PC said:
The question is not so much badly worded, but badly set out. The space between the paragraphs in (ii) is not helpful. The last paragraph states:

Express this as a rate in millilitres per minute, ...

What "this" is is not contained in the paragraph. So you have to go back somewhere find out what "this" actually is!

Some people have correctly calculated the rate of alcohol consumption (0.2 mL/min), by going back to the start of the question. Some people have correctly calculated the rate of liquid consumption (3.9 mL/min), but going back to the first paragraph in the same part. The fact that such ambiguity exists suggests that both answers could possibly be marked as correct.

If (ii) was just written as a single paragraph, would you interpret the question any differently?

There are no "official" results from the BOS as such, but it would be interesting to see what various publications come up with. Anyway, it's all over bar the shouting. I suppose that's what we're having now.
nou

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)