Anti-Austen, or the author you like least (1 Viewer)

rific

HSC
"Just the omission of Jane Austen's books alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it." :D
Mark Twain

Some friends of mine are going to study a unit on Jane Austen, I'm sure some would find that really interesting. Just not me. :)

Are there any famous author's out there people don't like - really don't like - or do people like the better known authors best? In other words, as a general rule, who writes the best/worst, the famous or the silent majority?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
geoffrey chaucer might have been the man back in 1300... but we really should stay away from that jibberish today '-_-
if a story was that hard to read, it might justify the trouble of translating by being extraodinarily interesting... but the cantebury tales aren't :mad:

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
geoffrey chaucer might have been the man back in 1300... but we really should stay away from that jibberish today '-_-
if a story was that hard to read, it might justify the trouble of translating by being extraodinarily interesting... but the cantebury tales aren't :mad:
I hate the obsession with books that are harder to decipher than some bloody code! LOL it really annoys me! Written so you have to translate a sentence from english to english-that-makes-sense. Eg, Charles Dickens. Call me uncultured, but I don't understand why being completely obtuse is lauded in a lot of literature.

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
Gah. Doing Emma next semester, and so far I haven't been able to get past the first chapter..!!

When a writer is deemed the 'best', there have to be the ones who think the work is to be immortalised, who go with the flow of thinking it's great, and you've always got to have the critics, whether it be because they genuinely don't appreciate the text or just to be critic - yes, the more I try to make sense the less it seems to work.. So, as a general rule, I really have no idea! haha!

rific

HSC
Arg, I'd forgotten all about Chaucer, thanks for bringing him up... :mad:

Lol, as for studying Emma, ouch, I feel your pain.

malkin86

HSC
Myself, I've lost all faith that I had in grand Literature. So I don't care any more. :D I still read - I just read fiction I like.

bobs_ur_granma

HSC
Actually I like Jane Austens work, I love the language, were studying Emma at the moment, an author I dislike is Stephen King, my mums obsessed and Im sick of him.

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
I can't stand John Marsden... overdid him in junior years, I think.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Im the opposite of whats been posted so far. I like all the old grand authors, even if they can be hard to understand. Its amazing to think about the fact that youre reading the words of someone who has been dead for 700 years. Think about how different his world was and how he has been read through all the history that has happened since.

My most hated authors are people like Dan Brown, Michael Cordy, Stephen King and the like.

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
I have to say that I like most of the "classic" authors -- the Austens, the Brontes, the Shakespeares. For the author I like least, though, I'd have to pick Patrick White, the famous (or infamous) Australian author.

I managed to get through one book for a high school assignment. I thought he might have been writing on a bad day, so I tried to read another one afterwards (purely for leisure)...didn't like that one either. =P

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Whoever the hell wrote Maestro. You know who you are.

*glares

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
withoutaface said:

*glares
haha - that was a terrible book. not sure he qualifies as the worst author though. I have to agree with Grobus, i like all these authors people seem to dislike. I'll always remember the day when one of the kids I tutor was doing Shakespeare and he said to me "But I can't understand it, why can't they translate this into English?!" I just laughed at him. Never been a big fan of Stephen King

rific

HSC
Don't get me wrong here, for the most part I prefer the older stuff, huge fan of the Romantic age, well, most of the authors of the Romantic age and surrounding ages. I just can't stand Austen, the Brontes and, well, Austen. :)

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Shakespeare is easy enough to understand if you are proficient in reading, it just takes more patience than most people are willing to give. Their loss I spose.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
withoutaface said:

*glares
We had to study it for year 11 and i absolutely hated it! I haven't read anytihng else by Peter Goldsworthy so i wouldn't say that i like him least, afterall, there are so many crappy novels i am yet to discover. I mostly read the classics and don't mind the language. It's better than a lot of the slang filled jibberish that passes for a peice of literature these days, well that's what i think from the little i have read in my time...:D

ishq

brown?
HSC
Jane Austen is so.......well, domestic .
Its a bit hard to even read her books without laughing at the insignificance of it all.

The term 'literature' has become controversial. Pretty soon it might become synonymous with Dan Brown.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
i dont like her, she has credibility she tried to show her surroundings the 18th C like charles dickens, but charles dickens is way better than her, her books - well emma is just so annoying and so posh i just hate it i dont even know how i managed to pass that module.

malkin86

HSC
Peter Goldsworthy wrote a book called "Honk if you are Jesus" - it was about some religious nutters trying to clone Jesus. It was trying to be too deep, so I didn't like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)