antony & cleo speech help?? (1 Viewer)

_BaadShah_

HSC
hi

we got an assesment on antony and cleopatra..we have to do a speech.. and the question is below:

Antony & Cleopatra:

Examine the roles of the characters in the texts you have studies. How does Powerplay influence their actions and affect the events that take place? Dicsuss with reference to Antony & Cleopatra and two other texts of your own choosing.

Could people give me some ideas as how to answer this question. (ie what i put in the Intro, Body, Conclusion)..

Provide with some good related texts to use in the speech..

cheers, ash

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I won't answer you entirely, because you're asking way too much but I'll get you thinking more:

why does cleo end up killing herself? Why is the thought of being dragged through rome as a prize such a terrible thing?

Why is reputation such an important thing in this play? How does the audience know it's important? How is reputation emphasized as an issue to the power Antony has?

Also consider the way in which certain servants, particularly Enobarbus. He often symbolises quite a bit in this play. His death is also a pivotal point.

why does antony keep switching between different "antonys" when in Rome or Egypt? Or even at war?

Gladiator by Ridley Scott

why does Maximus, a slave, in Gladiator hold more power over the emperor?

"Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome."

"Win the crowd and you will win your freedom."

why does Commodus in Gladiator feel distressed about the crowd ot loving him?

why does Lucilla and Commodus' father (Marcus Aurellius) say to Lucilla "if only you were born a man?" Consider the gender discourses of that time. How much power does she hold? How often does Commodus portray her lack of power in the film and in what ways? Sexually? Verbally? ie what techniques? At one scene, Commodus makes an intertextual reference to Antony & Cleopatra (how appropriate!), comparing Lucilla and Maximus with Antony & Cleo as "silly" fools in the game of powerplay. Why is this effective? What does the snake under the bed represent?

Consider the types of power as well. Very important. Sexual power, romantic power, etc. This can be applied in both A&C (very obvious here. Antony is so pussywhipped. There's a good quote but I forget what) as well as in Gladiator.

Generally, I always fell back onto the rubric. Power resides with the people. Powerplay is the way people manipulate power to benefit themselves or others.

_BaadShah_

HSC
hey..

sorry havent been for a while..but thanx for the good points..

just another question, if i use some information from the resources in my speech..like say abt 100-200words from "a" person information which has been provided onto the resource section, and the teaches mark it, also by viewing the speech u have read ..

if they find out that i copied some of it from this site...would dat be like malpractice?plagiarism??..and will i get a zero?..

cheers, ash

Last edited:

drama_fag

HSC
i cant believe i didnt think of gladiator as a related text... ah! it used to be my favourite movie...

and yes, you could get seriously boned if you copy absolutely anything... so why would u even try? its not worth the risk...

do your own work, and chances are... ull do better. especially if its a speach. you want to know EXACTLY what your talking about... or at least let the markers think that you know what ur talking about.

HSC
_BaadShah_ said:
hey..

sorry havent been for a while..but thanx for the good points..

just another question, if i use some information from the resources in my speech..like say abt 100-200words from "a" person information which has been provided onto the resource section, and the teaches mark it, also by viewing the speech u have read ..

if they find out that i copied some of it from this site...would dat be like malpractice?plagiarism??..and will i get a zero?..

cheers, ash
umm :x
yes you would get zero

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Consider the types of power as well. Very important. Sexual power, romantic power, etc. This can be applied in both A&C (very obvious here. Antony is so pussywhipped. There's a good quote but I forget what) as well as in Gladiator.
Yea i can see that Antony is pussywhipped, but in gladiator who is more dominant out of lucilla n commodus. i can see that there is power struggle between them, how commodus tries to hook up wif her n stuff n how she rejects him. but who is more dominant? (n can u plz give examples as y u believe who is more dominant)

thanx.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)