ANU course enquiries (1 Viewer)

rebornrlaguddn

HSC
hey guys
I'm year 12 students who just applied ANU course
I applied medical science
is this course any good?
and also, does ANU have medicine course like UNSW???

jme650

HSC
i've applied for ANU medical science for next year as well. I have heard it's good, but better if you want to go into medicine, which i've been told is pretty good at ANU, rather than just gaining employment after doing the straight three year degree. Then again, I don't really know, this is just vague information I've been told.:)

Evilo

HSC
i hope medical science is different to medicine. Because they only accept post graduates into medicine here.

As far as the faculty goes - ANU is a really good uni with great atmosphere. It ranks highly within the worlds top unis. I have a mate doing medicine and he enjoys it.
I hope someone who is doing medical science can fill you in on anything else.
Regards
EvilO

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
medical science is probably half chem half bio. if you want to get into medicine sure, go for it, but otherwise if i were you i would chose a phB and choose chem/bio units... it's more prestigious looking (hell, even a sci (hons) would be)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Medicine is a post-graduate course at ANU. It's also rather difficult to vouch for the quality of the degree since it's a fairly new program and there haven't been any graduates yet. However, the medical science degree is quite good. I suggest you apply for the PhB science degree if you're a high achiever, since that will let you undertake ASCs (projects at the research schools) and allow for more flexibility with your courses.

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
Medical science is pretty much straight biology: genetics, molecular bio, cells, maybe some biochemistry, although you do have to do first year chem and have spare units for other subjects (if you wanted to do more chem for example). It seems like a pretty good degree...

That being said a normal science student can do the same courses, except maybe for a third year med sci elective course, which is like a project/placement thing, pretty much like an ASC for PhB students. If you're not doing medical science you might be able to talk your way into doing it anyway...

Last edited:

apple2

HSC
This may be a stupid question but what is a PhB science degree? I mean is it just a bachelor of science? I dunno, I feel dumb:confused:

bikapika

HSC
apple2 said:
This may be a stupid question but what is a PhB science degree? I mean is it just a bachelor of science? I dunno, I feel dumb:confused:
PHB = Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours). You will combine your undergraduate studies in areas such as sciences, arts or engineering (although they have another name for the degree) with significant research components (Advanced Studies Courses) where you will be studying at research schools. You will have direct contact with top researchers and you will also have your own academic supervisor. You can argue that it is the most sophisticated undergraduate degree in Australia (probably the world lol i mean i have never heard of other universities offering undergraduate research degrees). At the same time i think you may also receive a $5000 scholarship. gosh i wish they offer phb in commerce or law

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
apple2 said:
essentially yes, but it has a large research component aswell. you also get much greater flexibility, a personal mentor (usually a professor) you speak with weekly, and it "fast-tracks" you into getting a PHD.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
jas0nt said:
essentially yes, but it has a large research component aswell. you also get much greater flexibility, a personal mentor (usually a professor) you speak with weekly, and it "fast-tracks" you into getting a PHD.
i've only spoken to my mentor twice so far, lolz.

apple2

HSC
Thanks that cleared things up a bit. :)
So humphdogg, do you like the PhB, i mean, is it all it's cracked up to be, would you recommend others doing it? So basically you can still end up with the same qualifications after doing something like a bachelor of science but also have done extra research projects, is that right?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
apple2 said:
Thanks that cleared things up a bit. :)
So humphdogg, do you like the PhB, i mean, is it all it's cracked up to be, would you recommend others doing it? So basically you can still end up with the same qualifications after doing something like a bachelor of science but also have done extra research projects, is that right?
yeah, that's pretty much how the PhB works. plus you have to get an HD average. oh, and you don't actually have to officially major in anything - you can do science courses without worrying about having to do X amount of physics courses etc to qualify for a physics major. you do, however, have to pick something (anything) to do your honours in.

but yeah, i'm loving doing PhB. being able to do ASCs (advanced study courses) means you get a head start for some later year courses (you might do a research project in 1st year on something that's not normally covered in 3rd year or even graduate level stuff), and you get to find out what interests you very quickly. i generally try to plug the PhB to anyone who's smart enough to get in - i find it awesome, so i figure other people should too.

apple2

HSC
Yeah by the sounds of things it would be alot better than doing a straight science or med science course which is what I was originally planning. Hmmm, well I got the marks so i guess its PhB all the way!!!!! :uhhuh:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)