ANU Engineering vs. UNSW Engineering (1 Viewer)

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I'm tossing between ANU's Bachelor of Engineering (R & D) and UNSW's Mechanical Engineering combined with Commerce.

Any information regarding the same would greatly appreciated! :)
Perhaps help improve the following summation?

ANU:
Advantages:

• More reserach oriented. Although...do I even want that?
  • Better Uni atmosphere (Personally)
  • Move away from home
Disadvantages:

• Scholarships cannot compare with Co-op
  • Extra costs of moving
  • Canberra...

UNSW:

Advantages:

• More of a work-place, industry oriented course. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • May just get a Coop Scholarship
  • Combined Commerce
  • Lesser costs (seeing as I reside in Sydney)
  • Engineering faculty has a higher ranking than ANU's
Disadvantages:

• Doesn't really lead onto a PhD as neatly as ANU
  • Stale atmosphere (personally)
  • Staying at home! (haha)

I obviously need a deeper insight from Engineering students to resolve this matter.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW sounds better for you... although the atmosphere is a very big thing for me, so ANU could be better only for that. If it were me I would choose UNSW based on what is at hand.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Do you want to get into academia/research? If not, then don't worry about the schools ability to do research.
UNSW has the strongest engineering faculty in Australia. And you live in Sydney, so why would you move?
I've met plenty of kids who have moved to UNSW to study Engineering.

Secondly, and I know a lot of people on this site do the Comm/Engo double, but I honestly cannot see the point in it.
You can't work as both an engineer and a banker/accountant/actuary/etc, so why bother wasting 2 years and a few thousand dollars on something that only really makes you feel a little better and smarter. I'd concentrate your time on one degree, get better marks, and end up in a better grad job.
The only reason I'd combine with comm is for Management, get into project management, or facilities management.

My two cents.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Do you want to get into academia/research?
I'm finding it quite hard to discern just that. How could I understand the path I'll follow ~5 years from now? Making a sound decision would need a tase of traditional professional engineering and research based engineering...something I shall lack until actually joining Uni (wuah wuah wuah wuahhhh..too late)

Secondly, and I know a lot of people on this site do the Comm/Engo double, but I honestly cannot see the point in it.
No no no no. I think you're missing the point of that combined degree! From my understanding, it enables faster movement to a managerial position in engineering rather than a simple hands on job for life.

My two cents.
Quite definitely worth more!

Thanks so much guys! Shall look into this thoroughly.
Keep the advice coming :)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
No no no no. I think you're missing the point of that combined degree! From my understanding, it enables faster movement to a managerial position in engineering rather than a simple hands on job for life.

Quite definitely worth more!
That's only if you do a major in management. But you're probably better off doing a masters in project management after you graduate, it'll take half a year longer that doing the double(no time at all).

Don't think that a major in anything else will aid you too much.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Stale atmosphere?

You'll find your impressions of it will change dramatically once you actually get into the degree.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You can't work as both an engineer and a banker/accountant/actuary/etc, so why bother wasting 2 years and a few thousand dollars on something that only really makes you feel a little better and smarter. I'd concentrate your time on one degree, get better marks, and end up in a better grad job.
The only reason I'd combine with comm is for Management, get into project management, or facilities management.
listenn m88 rich commerce fucks also go the engineering faculties recruiting for graduates and when they see a sick cunt doing engo comm they're like OMGFG what an awesome cunt

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
listenn m88 rich commerce fucks also go the engineering faculties recruiting for graduates and when they see a sick cunt doing engo comm they're like OMGFG what an awesome cunt
BEng(Civil)/BCom
The first question I'll ask is: can you actually afford to move to Canberra? Before considering anything to do with ANU, you have to be able to afford living there. Do NOT rely on scholarships that you are not guaranteed in writing. Anyway, UNSW is a great uni (coming from a biased position) and engineering is a difficult degree, especially to do well in at later years. If you're willing to put in the effort (you sound like it) and have the intelligence for it, you can do well. I won't bullshit you saying anyone can do well if they study enough, because that is a lie. People do fail university courses, just make sure you aren't one of them. ANU is also a good university, but it is better at a postgrad level (from what I've read) compared to the undergraduate. UNSW is the opposite. From what I've read of your posts, you want a managerial position eventually in your field of engineering. If that's the case, follow mitchy_boy's advice and do your undergrad engo degree, postgrad management and then make $$$$$$$$ forever.

Other than that, the atmosphere at UNSW is actually quite nice (as long as you don't hate ethnic minorities). If you get a good group of friends that you actually enjoy hanging out with, uni is excellent. Funnily enough, my favourite friends at uni are posters here, so don't neglect any opportunity in that respect. The Roundhouse is a good place to hang out if you're 18 in your first year (some events are 18+). Make sure you go to O-Week and any parties that the uni holds. Great place to meet new people if you put yourself out there. You don't have to get drunk (or even drink alcohol at all) if you're worried about that.

I'm a first year UNSW Engineer (if you don't know already) and it's really fucking interesting. I absolutely love it to pieces. It's hard work, yes 100%, but well worth the results.

If you're unsure about anything about UNSW in future, shoot me a line on here if you want or just post moar questions on the board.

Last edited:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
ANU's School of Engineering isn't the best at undergraduate teaching, from everything I've heard from a number of Engineering friends.

On the other hand, atmosphere is very important, and I haven't regretted coming to ANU in that regard.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
why you wuld cnsider moving to canberra when there is a perfectly fine uni in sydney sure beats me

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Stale atmosphere?

You'll find your impressions of it will change dramatically once you actually get into the degree.
Okay so about a year ago I did the HS1917 Computing Course (Uni accredited course for School students) and absolutely loved it. (Richard in particular! OMG HE'S AMAZING!)
Albeit I did enjoy the course, the uni atmosphere just seemed to be quite repetitively dull and bland. Plus, there are almost 10K Engo students in UNSW in comparison to less than a thousand in ANU. I have an inkling that UNSW will have this fast paced stone cold hustle-bustle in comparison to ANU. But I am probably wrong...help :\

why you wuld cnsider moving to canberra when there is a perfectly fine uni in sydney sure beats me
Do you disagree when I say that ANU IS infact better than UNSW in some instances? I'm attempting to prioritise my wants and translate them into an appropriate Uni. Failing at it atm...

The first question I'll ask is: can you actually afford to move to Canberra? Before considering anything to do with ANU, you have to be able to afford living there. Do NOT rely on scholarships that you are not guaranteed in writing. Anyway, UNSW is a great uni (coming from a biased position) and engineering is a difficult degree, especially to do well in at later years. If you're willing to put in the effort (you sound like it) and have the intelligence for it, you can do well. I won't bullshit you saying anyone can do well if they study enough, because that is a lie. People do fail university courses, just make sure you aren't one of them. ANU is also a good university, but it is better at a postgrad level (from what I've read) compared to the undergraduate. UNSW is the opposite. From what I've read of your posts, you want a managerial position eventually in your field of engineering. If that's the case, follow mitchy_boy's advice and do your undergrad engo degree, postgrad management and then make $$$$$$$$ forever.
I always just assumed HECS would take care of all funding...Touch wood I should be able to find work in Uni as well...

I'm a first year UNSW Engineer
Could I please know which stream you're taking?

Thanks a heap guys! This is really helpful :)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I'm doing Software, so if you've done HS1917, you're already more accomplished than I am in my degree. That's a tad embarrassing.

I'm quite sure you can't put accommodation costs on your HECS debt (which is what I was referring to before), but I don't actually know for sure. Check that out with an actual representative of either the government or university (email would be easiest).

twistedrebel

HSC
yeah accomdation costs cant be under hecs m8. Confirmed. Living on campus will cost $300-350ish a week. Off campus? probably like 200-250ish. Engineering is alot of hardwork and working aswell will get hard (i know from experience).

Also those who think that by doing a commerce degree with egineering degree will help you get into management faster, sorry to burst your bubble but that is entirely incorrect. You will get into management (if you want to go that way) faster is how you perform at the job and how your managers see you.

twistedrebel

HSC
ALso i know people from canberra who come to UNSW to study engineering, so its beyond me why you would go their. Also you sound like a career driven guy, and PhD is not worth it. YOu HECS can only run for 7 years, then you ll need to rely on scholarships.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Plus, there are almost 10K Engo students in UNSW in comparison to less than a thousand in ANU. I have an inkling that UNSW will have this fast paced stone cold hustle-bustle in comparison to ANU. But I am probably wrong...help :\
I was talking about this with someone the other day who said ANU appears to have ~40 engineering grads a year...

I always just assumed HECS would take care of all funding...Touch wood I should be able to find work in Uni as well...
Accommodation is difficult if you're not getting benefits and possibly scholarships.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
There's like around 1000 unsw engineering students per year not 10 000, that's fucken crazy.

twistedrebel

HSC
yeah Comp sci/software engineering/bioinfomatics/computer engineering in total is about 70 grads. Yeah like kaz1 said their's only 1000. Also does ANU offer B Eng? IIRC they only offered software engineering.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
There are about 8500 engineering students at UNSW. He was referring to total students, not graduates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)