ANU or Macq??? (1 Viewer)

Nivi7

HSC
So guys, what's the better uni for comm/law, ANU or Macquarie. I've got a UAI high enough to get into both but I really want to transfer into Usyd or UNSW after first year.

Any suggestions????

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Why the hell would you want to transfer to USYD or UNSW from ANU :|

Nivi7

HSC
lol...cuz i've always had my heart set on Usyd/UNSw and they're also closer to home. I've heard that ANU has a great reputation across all faculties but, I don't really know if it would be worth the move from Sydney.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
ANU is considered one of the top unis in the country, so I'd say it has a better reputation than Macq.

But if you're going to be there for 1 year only, it doesn't make much of a difference.

If you don't get your transfer, would you rather be stuck in Canberra or at Macq?

didier91

HSC
ANU is ranked 16th in the world every year.

Macquarie..... not so much.....

I suppose if you are set on transferring however you might like to consider staying in Sydney.

If it was me I would visit ANU and see if I liked it before I made any rash decisions.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Nivi7 said:
lol...cuz i've always had my heart set on Usyd/UNSw and they're also closer to home. I've heard that ANU has a great reputation across all faculties but, I don't really know if it would be worth the move from Sydney.
If you're moving for a year, I'd say that'd be quite a big investment to set yourself up etc.

So either stick with a Sydney uni and try and move over to UNSW/USYD or check out ANU and stay there.

Moving there for a year seems to be more effort than you really need if you're only really using it to transfer into UNSW/USYD

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
If you intend to transfer, go to Maq. You're going to be disappointed if you come down here with the expectation of getting a high credit average in law.

Nivi7

HSC
neo o said:
If you intend to transfer, go to Maq. You're going to be disappointed if you come down here with the expectation of getting a high credit average in law.
yeah, i kinda figured that a high credit average would be difficult to obtain in most law schools. But the thing is I really want to do law!!! I've missed out on usyd and unsw by a few points but I don't want to take the risk of doing any ol' degree and praying to get a D/HD average.

I'm just gonna put down ANU and hope I'll like it there! Even if I can't transfer, at least I'll be at a good uni. After all, Canberra can't be as big as a hole as everyone makes it out to be!

Thanx 4 all da suggestions pplz:)

circusmind

HSC
Nivi7 said:
yeah, i kinda figured that a high credit average would be difficult to obtain in most law schools. But the thing is I really want to do law!!! I've missed out on usyd and unsw by a few points but I don't want to take the risk of doing any ol' degree and praying to get a D/HD average.

I'm just gonna put down ANU and hope I'll like it there! Even if I can't transfer, at least I'll be at a good uni. After all, Canberra can't be as big as a hole as everyone makes it out to be!

There's no reason why you couldn't get a D average in your first year, or indeed any year after that. I would suggest that after a year at ANU you might forget about transferring to Sydney anyway. Depending on what sort of legal career you are after, ANU may well be a better option than either USyd or UNSW.

All the best, hope to see you in the law library come March.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Nivi7 said:

Canberra isn't a hole, I've really enjoyed myself down here. If you want to apply for a college though, get your details in soon at uas.anu.edu.au.

Nivi7

HSC
neo o said:
Canberra isn't a hole, I've really enjoyed myself down here. If you want to apply for a college though, get your details in soon at uas.anu.edu.au.
lol...I know Canberra isn't really a hole. It's just that whenever I think of canberra, I'm always reminded of those dreadfully boring school excursions to the parliament house, the mint factory, etc, and that totally shit motel we had to stay in. Man, there were cockroaches everywhere! yeah, i know, I'm sounding lyk a total priss, but I'm deathly afraid of roaches. But, I'll get over it, eventually:)! I've just overcome my fear of cats, so roaches can't be that far away!

btw, thanx 4 da accommodation info. I've just submitted my details!

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
macquarie's forte is in accounting and actuary.

ANU actuary is considered equal if not better than MQ. then there's the reputation factor. really if you don't mind moving to canberra ANU is the way to go.

coopert

HSC
Canberra is a stinking rat hole. No question. (I lived there for a year, and left as soon as I could). On paper, everything sounds perfect. The best infastructure in the country, Lot's of shit to do, Great nightlife (Easily better than ANYTHING Sydney has got to offer), and many more. However, it just doesn't really seem to add up when put into practice.

Despite the fact that it is the 'Nation's Capital', it feels much more like a small country town (not that there is anything wrong with country towns!) than the political capital of one of the largest nations in the Asia-Pacific region.

And the weather is bullshit. It is either sweltering hot, or freezing cold. All the shops shut down at 5, and it's full of spoilt and overpaid Public Servants who have never had a 'real' job with an actual 'boss'.

But having said that, I seriously met some of the coolest people that I have ever met whilst in Canberra. While you will find that all of the adults are total pricks, all of the Uni students and young people are so cool and welcoming. Heaps friendly, and really laid back.

'Civic' (Canberra's City Centre, and where all of the nightclub's are situated) is so much fun. Cheap drinks, cheap (and sometimes free) entry, no lines and ques, and the fact that all of the clubs are within walking (or stumbling) distance of each other, makes Canberra the place to be for a night out.

My verdict, if your degree is the most important thing for you, go to ANU. It is ranked 16th in the WORLD (..Big deal!), and by studying in Canberra you have access to the National Library, High Court, and many other highly valuable resources; especially considering you are studying Law.
Macquarie University doesn't have anywhere near the prestigue that ANU has, and it's in North Rhyde, which is 10,000 years away from any of the action that Sydney has to offer anyway.

However, once you have finished your degree; get the fuck out of there. You will probably be offered a cushy job upon graduation, but I beg of you to resist the temptation. Canberra is ALOT of fun when you're young and going out in Civic every weekend, studying at the best Educational Institution in the country, etc. But you would never want to live there forever. *shudders*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)