ANU over Monash (1 Viewer)

cricketfan10

HSC
hey guyss. just need some help in reaching a decision :)

live in melbourne atm, and doing yr 12 VCE. i've decided that im most likely going to do law/arts...now i just have to decide which uni i want to go to. right now my preference is ANU, one reason being because it's much easier to get into (95 ENTER compared to 99+ for Monash)....but lets forget that, assuming i got an offer from both unis, i like the idea of going to ANU and it'd give me a chance of living independently as it'd give me far more opportunities of being social and stuff.

the thing is, right now, im not exactly what you'd call an overly social person. i rarely meet up with friends outside school ( i do have them lol, its just that my attitude is like id rather sit at home and go on msn then bother going out). now ive been in this habit for like the past 4-5 years and it has affected my social skills, for example im less confident of talking/initiating conversations/less topics to talk about...you get the gist of what im saying :p anyhow, so my concern is that, given that not many people i know are considering moving to canberra & im going to be starting afresh...if i move to canberra and live in one of the colleges (considering bruce or b&g btw), will it be an issue for someone like me to get along with people? ive had a look through the website and it seems like the uni does go to lengths to ensure everyone gets involved and have a good time...however on the outside any university can claim to do the same thing i guess..

so whats this got to do with monash? well, if its going to be hard for someone like me to get along with ppl at ANU, then at monash here atleast i can come back home and not be bothered as much, and not be stuck there for a year.

lol, it might seem like this is a insecurity issue more than a uni thing but its not :p i need ppl who go there to quell my concerns so i can decide, and ANU sounds really really good, its just that i dont want to have overly high expectations if it doesnt warrant it.

also, a few questions about the uni in general..

1) apparently some people have never left campus during a semester or something, is there really a lot to do at campus that you wont feel the need to? i was wondering if there was a gym haha, i dont think i read anything about there being one over here or on the website (missed it maybe)

2) do the colleges have foxtel? lol (i love footy)

there are a few more but ive forgotten them :eek:
would really appreciate help/replies though, thanks :)

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
cricketfan10 said:
the thing is, right now, im not exactly what you'd call an overly social person. i rarely meet up with friends outside school ( i do have them lol, its just that my attitude is like id rather sit at home and go on msn then bother going out). now ive been in this habit for like the past 4-5 years and it has affected my social skills, for example im less confident of talking/initiating conversations/less topics to talk about...you get the gist of what im saying :p anyhow, so my concern is that, given that not many people i know are considering moving to canberra & im going to be starting afresh...if i move to canberra and live in one of the colleges (considering bruce or b&g btw), will it be an issue for someone like me to get along with people? ive had a look through the website and it seems like the uni does go to lengths to ensure everyone gets involved and have a good time...however on the outside any university can claim to do the same thing i guess..

lol, it might seem like this is a insecurity issue more than a uni thing but its not :p

1) apparently some people have never left campus during a semester or something, is there really a lot to do at campus that you wont feel the need to? i was wondering if there was a gym haha, i dont think i read anything about there being one over here or on the website (missed it maybe)

2) do the colleges have foxtel? lol (i love footy)

there are a few more but ive forgotten them :eek:
would really appreciate help/replies though, thanks :)
This IS an insecurity thing. That's fine, alot of people will have nerves about moving into a new city and living with people they have never met before. College atmosphere is (usually) really enjoyable and brings most people out of their shells. That said, it might be slightly harder if you aren't 18 or don't like drinking. O-week generally involves alot of it.

1) No, you will leave campus. Unless you don't want to shop/club/eat out/etc. There is alot to do, but not THAT much. Yes there is a gym.

2) Yes.

ANU > Monash

cricketfan10

HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
This IS an insecurity thing. That's fine, alot of people will have nerves about moving into a new city and living with people they have never met before. College atmosphere is (usually) really enjoyable and brings most people out of their shells. That said, it might be slightly harder if you aren't 18 or don't like drinking. O-week generally involves alot of it.

1) No, you will leave campus. Unless you don't want to shop/club/eat out/etc. There is alot to do, but not THAT much. Yes there is a gym.

2) Yes.

ANU > Monash
yeah fair enough, i just didnt want to make it look like i needed help with that or something..cuz this forum is not the place for it obviously

hmm, ive never had alcohol before but i turn 18 in april next year. ive never been a big fan of drinking tbh, i was never going to totally avoid it but im not so sure if it gets too excessive lol. surely there would be enough people to get along with who aren't into the whole getting drunk thing?

also, is this o-week thing before uni starts or like the first/second week?

ah, that's ok, dont mind going around a bit.

yeah blacksunset was good enough to let me know :D

just wondering, have you ever studied at monash? ive never been to it (didnt go to open day, stupid) so have you got any specific reasons as to why anu is better?

thanks for your reply :)

Sammy-Blue

HSC
cricketfan10 said:
yeah fair enough, i just didnt want to make it look like i needed help with that or something..cuz this forum is not the place for it obviously

hmm, ive never had alcohol before but i turn 18 in april next year. ive never been a big fan of drinking tbh, i was never going to totally avoid it but im not so sure if it gets too excessive lol. surely there would be enough people to get along with who aren't into the whole getting drunk thing?

also, is this o-week thing before uni starts or like the first/second week?

ah, that's ok, dont mind going around a bit.

yeah blacksunset was good enough to let me know :D

just wondering, have you ever studied at monash? ive never been to it (didnt go to open day, stupid) so have you got any specific reasons as to why anu is better?

thanks for your reply :)
No real reason. I never gave monash any consideration as it doesn't offer my degree, so I don't know that much about it tbh. ANU is generally regarded as the best University in Aus, and Law is excellent from what I've heard. O-week is the week before uni starts.

And yeah, I always thought I'd stay one of the people who never drank too much.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
rule #1 at uni... don't be a douche and you'll be fine. you'll find at uni, an overwhelmingly large proportion of people are relatively mature and don't act like dickheads you see in highschool and are generally very accepting. so if you're a douche obviously you'll have a hard time fitting in.

you don't need alcohol to be cool and you shouldn't force yourself to drink it if you don't like it. nobody is gonna go "look at this tool, he doesn't drhink". i have two mates who don't touch the stuff and they are so popular it's borderline freaky.

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
and yes there's a gym (with a cardio room and a heavy weights room) which opens from 6am to 9pm on most days. the gym's actually pretty nice and spacious, and the cardio room has been revamped with some new high-tech machinery. for $200/yr for students, this makes any non-student green with envy.

Last edited:

cricketfan10

HSC
i would love to, but i cant take the time out unfortunately, got heaps of work to do. i've got a friend going though so im going to leech as much info as i can out of him :D

anyhow thanks guys, even tho im not able to make it to open day, its getting more likely by the day that im going to be going to anu. just need to get a 95 enter now lol.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I stayed at Mannix college at Monash for a week. Maybe I'm spoiled because the ANU is only a 10 minute walk away from the CBD, but the half hour bus trip into Melbourne proper really irritated me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)