ANU vs UNSW vs USYD vs Melbourne vs Macquarie finance/commerce? (1 Viewer)

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Doing Accounting and Finance at Monash is like livig in hell :D (lots of my friends say that), most of the international students choose to do this course.
And this is a double major (as I know that you are not able to do a double major in Uni of Melb, but Monash will let you fit in any units if you got enough spaces; what`s more is that Finance and Accounting are perfectly combined), and it is probably the best degree you can get from Monash business studies.
So if you are interested in Accounting, then welcome to Clayton!

Err.. I go to UoM and you can do double majors in UoM. There's a select few you can do but, I know for a fact you can do Econ/Finance, Finance/Mkt, Acc/Mgmt, Acc/Mkt, Mkt/Mgmt, and most importantly Accounting/Finance. Check UoM BCom website for the rest.

JYZ

HSC
N/A
really._.:spzz:
what about those "breathing units"?

Last edited:

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
really._.:spzz:
what about those "breathing units"?
it's breadth. They are taken outside of your faculty, some of them can lead onto pathways for graduate courses, eg. BCom --> M. Eng. But I think they can potentially give you majors outside of your faculty (Not 100% sure but seems logical)

oh yeah, just looking at your sig, Monash's Actuarial program accredited now? Oh and one more thing looking at your previous posts, you say you're at Caulfield, transfer from that tiny place or something?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Re: ANU vs UNSW vs USYD vs Melbourne vs Macquarie for finance/commerce?

Hey guys!

I’m finishing IB/high school and going to Australia to start uni in the second semester of 2010 under the international student status. Hence, I’ll be paying international fees (i.e. AUD28000/annum). I plan to major in Finance and I need to make my decision and accept an offer soon, but I’m not sure which uni to choose.

The uni offers that I have are:
ANU – Bachelor of Finance
UNSW – Bachelor of Commerce
USYD – Bachelor of Commerce
Macquarie – Bachelor of Applied Finance
Melbourne – Bachelor of Commerce

I’ve done quite a bit of research and poking around, and these are what I’ve been getting:
- Melbourne is very theory-based…
- Macquarie is only good for grad/masters…
- ANU is good for Economics but not Commerce…
- USYD is very money-grabbing towards international students, and the education not worth what I’ll be paying… However, Sydney is better recognized in Hong Kong.
- UNSW has the best Commerce program…
Are they true? Can you guys clear the air for me please?

My ultimate questions is: In terms of international recognition, local recognition, job prospects, international exchange program, industry connections, and helping place international students in internships/jobs, which uni would be the best to attend?

I’m originally from Taiwan. Since I don’t have Australian citizenship, I intend on going back to Asia to work, i.e. Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Taiwan, etc. I’m keeping Australia as an open option (if companies are willing to get me a working visa).

So, what do you guys say? Can you guys help me choose a school please? :)

Thanks in advance!!
Since you're aiming to go back to Asia to work, I'd say UNSW. We have strong links with firms all over the Asian region. Also and I mean no disrespect with this comment, but you'll fit in more in UNSW I think, because of the number of international students as well as the number of local students who are asian (many can speak putonghua, cantonese etc).

HSC

how do people make blanket statements like commerce program is better at unsw? ever look at the books we use for finance, some of them have both unsw/usyd lecturer authors

frauelize

HSC

Macquarie Uni... apparently is the 'easiest uni to get it, hard to get out'. (confirmed by my aunt & my cousins who are locals, 2 lecturers, numerous friends)

I'm doing Bach of App Fin.. and struggling! :(

I like Macquarie though, even though I bitch about it a lot, I love it. I got accepted in UNSW biotechnology before but decided to go to MQ for some reason and never regret. Some of my friends are in UNSW (Im international, attended UNSW foundation instead of HSC) and I've been there; There's a lot of food around the campus, closer to the city and Rent is usually a higher around that area, and heaps of asians of course (MQ got heaps too.. but yeahh...).

I like MQ coz we have a mall right in front of the uni. LOL nah, I just like the living enviroment/lifestyle better. according to MKTG lecturer... 'Apparently Macquarie is famous for.. MacClub and its study hard party hard lifestyle."

JYZ

HSC
N/A
oh yeah, just looking at your sig, Monash's Actuarial program accredited now? Oh and one more thing looking at your previous posts, you say you're at Caulfield, transfer from that tiny place or something?

._.''''

Last edited:

unislut99

HSC
I started my 2nd degree, a finance major at unsw and then transferred to Melbourne at the start of the year to complete double major eco and finance due to not liking the teaching methods having gotten used to the unimelb’s indirect style of teaching...unimelb offer both double or even triple majors (business major) if you have the marks and you could still do a double major i.e. eng/com or com/arts etc..so don’t know what someone was saying about unimelb not offering that.
ANU is ranked higher than unimelb in world rankings (pick any one of the surveys, they will still be on top) but this is all due to the academics that teach at ANU and a no. of other criteria such as lectures: student ratio, fees, accessibility to consultations etc... When it comes to commerce all the above school have outstanding degrees, and most will get you a foot in the door above most other 2nd and 3rd tier universities. However at the end of the day it’s the marks/gpa that you receive upon competition that will get you the job. I have heard that UNSW and ANU exams are much easier than that of Unimelb and Usyd especially in an economics major (without a doubt the hardest commerce major). Unimelb has been stated to have the best economics major in the country (don’t know by which survey company, but it’s on the unimelb website if you want to confirm) while UNSW has the highest finance job awarded rate in both IB and Retail banking, which at the end of the day probably means it is the of all the other uni's in that field. However if you decide to do that extra year and do honours in finance, unimelb's honour program in finance was rated one of the best in the WORLD, not just Australia. Goldman Sachs last year alone recruited 10 honours students to go and work in New York directly once their honours year was completed and Harvard business school are in the works of making an official affiliation with the unimelb finance honours program. I personally could not think of anything worse than writing a 10,000 word thesis on a financial model, I just prefer the maths side of things, but it’s there for those who want to work hard to achieve it. In summary, all the top uni's of Australia will give you a strong enough degree to get you in the first rounds of pickings in the finance field. However, as most of you already know all that degree is a piece of paper, so whether you receive a more theory based education (unimelb, acu) or a more hands on approach (UNSW, USyd, Macquarie) you will still have to kill your interview and apt tests, all the name of the uni will do for you is get you seen before the rest of the plebs from the other unis.
Sorry for the essay, it just seems that a lot of people on here are completely misguided and instead of doing research and finding the facts they just shoot off their opinions making others who are trying to find the answers believe their stab in the dark contentions.
To prove that I know what I’m talking about, I have completed a double degree in Engineering/Science (applied mathematics) (deans honours) at unimelb. Worked in IB with Deutsche bank for 6 months (M&A) and hated it so decided to finish off a commerce degree eco/finance double at unimelb after completing one semester at UNSW to start working in asset/wealth management for a firm like state street or vanguard who both require the commerce degree. It’s a massive burden but when the average salary in asset management/global advisory is triple that of IB with nearly half the hours, a couple more years is worth the effort. Good luck to all of you with your studies and you chosen careers, remember a job in commerce will be boring, stressful and at most times depressing, so I suggest to everyone, work hard, earn your cash and then get out while you still have some life left in you. To those few who actually get a kick out of it, see you in 20 years fat, bald and single, I’ll be the guy sitting across the room, tanned, laughing, smiling wiping the hair out of my face, drinking a bottle of Chateau Le Pin Pomerol with my beautiful wife enjoying the rest of my years in complete satisfaction.

dolbinau

HSC
Glad whatever uni you go to teaches you try write in paragraphs..

Affinity

HSC

Hey guys!

I’m finishing IB/high school and going to Australia to start uni in the second semester of 2010 under the international student status. Hence, I’ll be paying international fees (i.e. AUD28000/annum). I plan to major in Finance and I need to make my decision and accept an offer soon, but I’m not sure which uni to choose.

The uni offers that I have are:
ANU – Bachelor of Finance
UNSW – Bachelor of Commerce
USYD – Bachelor of Commerce
Macquarie – Bachelor of Applied Finance
Melbourne – Bachelor of Commerce

I’ve done quite a bit of research and poking around, and these are what I’ve been getting:
- Melbourne is very theory-based…
- Macquarie is only good for grad/masters…
- ANU is good for Economics but not Commerce…
- USYD is very money-grabbing towards international students, and the education not worth what I’ll be paying… However, Sydney is better recognized in Hong Kong.
- UNSW has the best Commerce program…
Are they true? Can you guys clear the air for me please?

My ultimate questions is: In terms of international recognition, local recognition, job prospects, international exchange program, industry connections, and helping place international students in internships/jobs, which uni would be the best to attend?

I’m originally from Taiwan. Since I don’t have Australian citizenship, I intend on going back to Asia to work, i.e. Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Taiwan, etc. I’m keeping Australia as an open option (if companies are willing to get me a working visa).

So, what do you guys say? Can you guys help me choose a school please? :)

Thanks in advance!!
Melb/ANU/UNSW.. but if I was in your position I would rather stay in Taiwan

aussie-boy

HSC

Usyd Commerce is exactly what you heard - money grabbing:

-Extremely high student to teacher ratios
-Hardly any proper assignments (its mostly online multiple choice)
-Lots of shit lecturers

The benefit of this is that it's pretty easy to get high marks and you don't have to go to class.
---

UNSW is probably the most intensive Commerce degree that you can do, though its changing at the moment (not sure what the impact of the changes will be)
---

ANU is really good because it's a small community:
-really easy to reach out to staff
-constant assessment and emphasis on participation (low student to teacher ratios)... it's more school-based I suppose where you get guided through
-course content is quite a bit more difficult than Usyd

04er

HSC

Usyd Commerce is exactly what you heard - money grabbing:

-Extremely high student to teacher ratios
-Hardly any proper assignments (its mostly online multiple choice)
-Lots of shit lecturers

The benefit of this is that it's pretty easy to get high marks and you don't have to go to class.

ANU
-course content is quite a bit more difficult than Usyd
LOL what a load of bullshit. Is 15 or so students per tute considered saturated? There are hardly any online multiple choice exams (maybe 1 or 2 throughout the entire degree). USyd has a notoriously low number of multiple choice exams. I think you're confusing USyd with UTS. As to difficulty, USyd is known for being a pain in the arse (difficult), so no idea where you got that theory.

Last edited:

theaussieinhk

HSC
I started my 2nd degree, a finance major at unsw and then transferred to Melbourne at the start of the year to complete double major eco and finance due to not liking the teaching methods having gotten used to the unimelb’s indirect style of teaching...unimelb offer both double or even triple majors (business major) if you have the marks and you could still do a double major i.e. eng/com or com/arts etc..so don’t know what someone was saying about unimelb not offering that.
ANU is ranked higher than unimelb in world rankings (pick any one of the surveys, they will still be on top) but this is all due to the academics that teach at ANU and a no. of other criteria such as lectures: student ratio, fees, accessibility to consultations etc... When it comes to commerce all the above school have outstanding degrees, and most will get you a foot in the door above most other 2nd and 3rd tier universities. However at the end of the day it’s the marks/gpa that you receive upon competition that will get you the job. I have heard that UNSW and ANU exams are much easier than that of Unimelb and Usyd especially in an economics major (without a doubt the hardest commerce major). Unimelb has been stated to have the best economics major in the country (don’t know by which survey company, but it’s on the unimelb website if you want to confirm) while UNSW has the highest finance job awarded rate in both IB and Retail banking, which at the end of the day probably means it is the of all the other uni's in that field. However if you decide to do that extra year and do honours in finance, unimelb's honour program in finance was rated one of the best in the WORLD, not just Australia. Goldman Sachs last year alone recruited 10 honours students to go and work in New York directly once their honours year was completed and Harvard business school are in the works of making an official affiliation with the unimelb finance honours program. I personally could not think of anything worse than writing a 10,000 word thesis on a financial model, I just prefer the maths side of things, but it’s there for those who want to work hard to achieve it. In summary, all the top uni's of Australia will give you a strong enough degree to get you in the first rounds of pickings in the finance field. However, as most of you already know all that degree is a piece of paper, so whether you receive a more theory based education (unimelb, acu) or a more hands on approach (UNSW, USyd, Macquarie) you will still have to kill your interview and apt tests, all the name of the uni will do for you is get you seen before the rest of the plebs from the other unis.
Sorry for the essay, it just seems that a lot of people on here are completely misguided and instead of doing research and finding the facts they just shoot off their opinions making others who are trying to find the answers believe their stab in the dark contentions.
To prove that I know what I’m talking about, I have completed a double degree in Engineering/Science (applied mathematics) (deans honours) at unimelb. Worked in IB with Deutsche bank for 6 months (M&A) and hated it so decided to finish off a commerce degree eco/finance double at unimelb after completing one semester at UNSW to start working in asset/wealth management for a firm like state street or vanguard who both require the commerce degree. It’s a massive burden but when the average salary in asset management/global advisory is triple that of IB with nearly half the hours, a couple more years is worth the effort. Good luck to all of you with your studies and you chosen careers, remember a job in commerce will be boring, stressful and at most times depressing, so I suggest to everyone, work hard, earn your cash and then get out while you still have some life left in you. To those few who actually get a kick out of it, see you in 20 years fat, bald and single, I’ll be the guy sitting across the room, tanned, laughing, smiling wiping the hair out of my face, drinking a bottle of Chateau Le Pin Pomerol with my beautiful wife enjoying the rest of my years in complete satisfaction.
+1 Can't agree more.

constantinex

HSC

@everyone: thank you!!

btw, what's the difference in the cost of living between Sydney and Melbourne??? Of course Sydney is more expensive, but I heard everything's gone up a lot in Melbourne too. Can you guys give me an idea on the cost of living in both cities per week or month? i.e. rent, food, transportation, entertainment (like clubbing, drinks...), etc. and would you guys recommend living in dorm when i first arrive, or just share a house with someone? i was thinking maybe i'll make more new friends in dorms... but... meh.

However if you decide to do that extra year and do honours in finance, unimelb's honour program in finance was rated one of the best in the WORLD, not just Australia. Goldman Sachs last year alone recruited 10 honours students to go and work in New York directly once their honours year was completed and Harvard business school are in the works of making an official affiliation with the unimelb finance honours program. I personally could not think of anything worse than writing a 10,000 word thesis on a financial model, I just prefer the maths side of things, but it’s there for those who want to work hard to achieve it.
btw, i enjoyed your essay, i truly did!!

So what's with honours? What do you do in honours year? How/does it make you a better employee? Better for resumes/applications? Can you give more deets and elaborate please? :D

Worked in IB with Deutsche bank for 6 months (M&A) and hated it so decided to finish off a commerce degree eco/finance double at unimelb after completing one semester at UNSW to start working in asset/wealth management for a firm like state street or vanguard who both require the commerce degree.
Why did you hate Deutsche Bank? Too much politics (or so i heard from my mom... but isn't there a lot of politics in all the banks anyway...?)?

Melb/ANU/UNSW.. but if I was in your position I would rather stay in Taiwan
ha ha ha you're funny... Taiwan teaches in Chinese, changing all the terms from English into Chinese and vice versa would kill me in the first day of uni. F*ck me.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
You worked in DB Sydney for 6 months and quit? Wouldn't you have gone to training for 2-3 of those months, so really you worked only 2-3 months?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)