ANU vs Usyd/UNSW for commerce? (1 Viewer)

John555

HSC
Hi guys,

1. How would you rate commerce at ANU as opposed to commerce at USyd/UNSW? I plan on majoring in finance/economics or finance/accounting. My thoughts are that they are all GO8 unis, but I keep hearing about how USyd/UNSW have a better reputation and in my personal opinion, I do not think ANU is that strong in the comemrce department, especially for finance or accoutning.

2. However grades, extra curricular, interview, personality, work experience should make the perceived better reputation of UNSW/USyd minimal or even negligible?

3. I was also wondering whether I should bother transfering to USyd/UNSW after doing a year at ANU. I mean I don't want to have to make new friends again and change environment if there will be minimal difference.

Last edited:

ademayd

HSC
Hi guys,

1. How would you rate commerce at ANU as opposed to commerce at USyd/UNSW? I plan on majoring in finance/economics or finance/accounting. My thoughts are that they are all GO8 unis, but I keep hearing about how USyd/UNSW have a better reputation and more exposure to private industries because they are in Sydney as opposed to Canberra.

2. However grades, extra curricular, interview, personality, work experience should make the perceived better reputation of UNSW/USyd minimal or even negligible?
Are you serious canberra? I had a friend in UTS who transferred to ANU he transferred back to UTS the first oppurtunity he got. Purely on the reason that he found Canberra toooo boring.

Academically USYD/UNSW if not equivalent is better than ANU in business. ANU is good for postgraduate work and for Arts. And I will have to say that USYD is the best in finance. I was in UNSW myfirst year but I am transferring to USYD and im also gona do finance/eco most probably.

rx34

HSC
1) Judging from past posts, commerce at UNSW is the best. However, I am ignoring that trend and going to USyd to do accounting (if I get accepted on Wednesday that is). No one really talks about Canberra much because most urban Sydney-ers would not choose to study in a small little town (if given the choice).

2) Yep grades and character are definitely more important than which G08 uni you went to- ANU, USyd or UNSW. Just choose the one which is the most convenient and cost-effective for you. It really depends how much reputation means to you. Personally I would prefer the Sydney universities and would not go to Canberra.

3) You can transfer to USyd if you find Canberra too boring and unlivable. However, if you are just doing commerce, I wouldn't bother. The difference is negligible.

ademayd

HSC
Hey on the bright side maybe you can make it to usyd/unsw through the late round offers

aussie-boy

HSC
I just thought I would add to this since I've been a Commerce student at both Usyd and ANU.

ANU seems much more serious about delivering a proper education - there's more work to do, proper assessments (i.e. not only online quizzes which you do with your mates) and often there's the option to select an honours stream for your subject (an extra tut and lecture each week that extends the coursework if you're interested enough).

Classes are smaller and the uni is way better funded. The new commerce building at ANU is way better than Merewether.

I'm pretty sure UNSW has an excellent Commerce program - USyd's is purely set up to get max money out of international students while minimising costs. There's absolutely no way in hell that any student there gets $64 per teaching hour worth of education from there (20k in fees, 26 weeks, 12 contact hrs)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)