ANU will overenrol to keep UAI cutoffs in the low-mid 80s (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Ian Chubb said:
First preferences for ANU are + 11% compared with the 2008 intake and are + 23% from the same time two years ago.

Preferences 1-3 for ANU (the group from which we draw most of our students) are +12.3%; total preferences are +13%. .

Preferences 1-3 for most Colleges have increased significantly while one is down slightly: CASS + 9%, CBE + 21%, CECS + 12%, COL + 8%, COS + 7%, CAP -4% (they usually meet targets because of students in other awards taking languages).

ANU first preferences from ACT current school-leavers are + 6% and from non-ACT current school-leavers are +18.3%. First preferences from outside the ACT region are + 17%.

International student demand is in the same direction - though more patchily distributed. Demand for undergraduate places is +13.5% and for postgraduate places (including HDR) is + 22%

Demand from domestic (Australian and New Zealand) students for postgraduate coursework is up 6% while demand for HDR places is patchy - but it is early. The latter will be a particular focus for next year.

This presents us with some challenges - especially given that this year we are 3.5% over-enrolled. We will have to over-enroll to keep UAI scores down to the low 80's. I am negotiating with the Commonwealth for some extra places so that if we exceed the 5% cap on over-enrolments we can be funded for them in 2009 rather than waiting for funding in arrears in 2010.
This is from a recent email sent to ANU staff members by the VC, Ian Chubb. It looks like entry scores will rise next year, despite ANU's best efforts to keep them as low as possible. While most cut offs should remain fairly static, because ANU likes to enforce an across the board benchmark (so the 21% increase in economics and business applications isn't going to result in a significantly higher cutoff for commerce students) I imagine that the 8% increase in law applications may force the cutoff over 96 this year.

Last edited:

Cheap Thrills

HSC
i think you just crushed my soul...hahaha...there's no way im gonna get over 96...ah well...

cricketfan10

HSC
was just reading this...well skimmed through more like :p but

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...gher-as-cutoff-scores-rise/262123.aspx?page=3

seems like a similar situation, and yet the UAI for Law was the same at 95. i doubt it'd increase to 96+, maybe 95.5 or something like that, unless they only do whole numbers? (i have no idea)

and can someone explain this?

http://unistats.anu.edu.au/Pubs/ItFigures/200702/uac.html

from what i could gather, cut offs were lowered due to increased applications..which doesnt make sense

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)