any 1 got a band 6??? (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
how 2 study?

hey ppl
i wanna get a band 6 in advanced english!:D
so cud u guys suggest how shud i study? like wat study techniques shud i use n how much time shud i spend on english each day???

pls reply soon

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hey did ne 1 get a band 6 in adv english?
if yes then cud u pls tell how ya studied?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i didnt really ... i prepared everything (for the assessments and trials and hsc - but i made sure my prepared work was as good as i could make it) and i learnt a few extra quotes and points just in case my prepared essay wasnt suited for it ... but that was a result of extremely laziness and stupidity on my own part for not studying throughout the year ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah I was like flyin'
I basically prepared and memorised 4 essays for english, based on a whole years work (ie, writing something that was general, but awesome, based on wat I knew and was likely to be asked)

For each module, jus understand what they can ask, eg, if u do Transformations, its pretty easy to predict the types of questions they can ask, then just prepare something that u can take into the exam, WITH the full knowledge of the text, quotes etc, so u can adapt to whatever form or question they ask u to write in

and for all the doubters, yes, memorisation works if u do it properly - I got 92 in the english exam with memorisation.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi
and for all the doubters, yes, memorisation works if u do it properly - I got 92 in the english exam with memorisation.
unfortunately you cant memorise the whole of area of study ... i am referring to the comprehension and possible the short story ... in which case you're on your own ...

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
yeah I was like flyin'
I basically prepared and memorised 4 essays for english, based on a whole years work (ie, writing something that was general, but awesome, based on wat I knew and was likely to be asked)

For each module, jus understand what they can ask, eg, if u do Transformations, its pretty easy to predict the types of questions they can ask, then just prepare something that u can take into the exam, WITH the full knowledge of the text, quotes etc, so u can adapt to whatever form or question they ask u to write in

hey i have this doubt
u say to memorise but wat shud i memorise??
cud u pls explain in detail????:(

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by elizabethy

hey i have this doubt
u say to memorise but wat shud i memorise??
cud u pls explain in detail????:(
write a general essay for change for example ...

maybe about the types of change or consequences of change ... whatever ...

and learn specific quotes and explainations of how the quote works in relation to your idea/theme of change ...

find supplementary material and find quotes/visual images etc and link them back to you prescribed text ... and also do this for your stimulus material ...

and if you have time think of some profound statement/conclusion which you've come to realise which relates to your idea ...:)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
as per above

but not all methods work for everyone - u have to find the method of study that best suits u. For me, I would find it extremely difficult to string togther something sophisticated in the 40 mins we get for each module (and the area of study extended response) - so that is why I gave myself time after the trials to sit down and perfect a general essay on each module, so I could take that into the exam as a base, and add/take away from it during the exam, depending on the direction of the question, and the form asked. For this method to work, u have to almost guess the type of questions asked. As I said earlier, for certain modules, its easy to predict what kinda questions they can ask, so as long as u understand what u are being asked to learn from your texts based on the module studied under, u should be fine in writing a really broad esssay that covers everything important - that is likely to be asked an exam situation. Having said that, u also need to practice writing speed, cos that inherently becomes a problem if u wanna get down all u have in the time given. I considered myself a fast writer, but I also write large, so given that I memorised my essays word for word, I managed to speed write 15 pages for each module in the Paper 2 for the HSC - in which case u need to adapt to the question "on the fly" - ideas just flow through provided u have a thorough understanding of the text and the ideas/techniques/values/context/blah blah. I find that there just isnt any time to actually think in that exam - u jus have to write.

Hope that helped...?

PappaSmurf

eek!!
You wrote 15 pages?!?!

Guys I need advice on what to do.
I have a *really* poor grip of the pen (it's wrong), and as a result my hand gets tired after only 2 pages of writing. After that it starts getting really painfull, and at about 3 or 4 pages it is simply unbearable.

I'm freaking out because I know when it comes HSC time, I'm not going to be able to write everything I need to!
Please help :(

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by PappaSmurf
eek!!
You wrote 15 pages?!?!

Guys I need advice on what to do.
I have a *really* poor grip of the pen (it's wrong), and as a result my hand gets tired after only 2 pages of writing. After that it starts getting really painfull, and at about 3 or 4 pages it is simply unbearable.

I'm freaking out because I know when it comes HSC time, I'm not going to be able to write everything I need to!
Please help :(
I am also a slow writer, though I'm not quite that bad - I don't get pain but I just never hit a really high speed. The thing to do is to know your stuff really well so your essay just comes flowing out.

I wrote 7-8 pages in the HSC ( keep in mind their pages are small, have a look at the size of the lines in the booklet as well) per essay and managed a 91 so there is still hope :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
there is more than half-a-year to train your hands ... so its alot of time ... so get cracking ...:D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hehe
do u do any history subjects or social sciences? if so, u'll have lots of practice
jus train ur hands to write 5 pages in 40 mins - well mayb not that, but set ur self a goal to work towards

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Yes my grip is wrong too but i just clenched my teeth and just kept on going, My mind was thinking...hand hurting or failing HSC and that made me write fast, neatly although pain plagued my hands that night....and i do three social sciences/commercial studies subject which meant pages upon pages of writing eg 14 pages for Business Studies report and 14 pages for Society and Culture question

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
writing can be tough ... my hand was literally burning during my economics exam ... because i had just done a three-hour latin exam (which explains my dislike towards the board of studies) ...:(

PappaSmurf

English is the only exam where I'll have to write more than a page.
My other subjects are; Physics, Chem, Bio, SDD, and Maths

So I'm good in that respect.. hopefully I'll be able to strengthen my hand over the next few months and just grin and bear it.

kini mini

HSC
What about the 8 mark questions in phys and chem? Aren't you going to write more than a page for those?

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
I never knew chem and phys papers need students to write that much. . . my ignorance i guess

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
hehe
do u do any history subjects or social sciences? if so, u'll have lots of practice
jus train ur hands to write 5 pages in 40 mins - well mayb not that, but set ur self a goal to work towards
It takes me an hour to write 4 pages so I think 4 pages in 45 min should be a reasonable thing to demand from yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)