any 1 got a band 6??? (1 Viewer)

schwang_thang

Originally posted by MinAi

and for all the doubters, yes, memorisation works if u do it properly - I got 92 in the english exam with memorisation.
omgosh minai gimme a hi-5! :D same here. crammed my head with quotes n themes n got a 92 4 the exam as well!

schwang_thang

Originally posted by kini mini
What about the 8 mark questions in phys and chem? Aren't you going to write more than a page for those?
yeah u do, in the elective section at the end...a couple of the qstns might b evaluate or assess, so u end up writing abt 2-3 pgs, which is prolly only equivalent 2 3/4 of a proper A4 pg

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by schwang_thang

omgosh minai gimme a hi-5! :D same here. crammed my head with quotes n themes n got a 92 4 the exam as well!
hehe good work!
yeah Im saying to the 03's, find whichever method works for u early in the year.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

hehe good work!
yeah Im saying to the 03's, find whichever method works for u early in the year.
I agree. If you work out which method best suits your abilities and which yu are more comfortably using without hestiation then find it early in the year so you can practice and work on improving this method and hopefully better enhance your marks.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by zannaz

I agree. If you work out which method best suits your abilities and which yu are more comfortably using without hestiation then find it early in the year so you can practice and work on improving this method and hopefully better enhance your marks.
most definitely ... finding what suits you best is more often than not the easiest way to go ...

Originally posted by !meeee!

most people i know who got a band six, myself included, think practice essays are the best way to go. whether or not you choose to memorise those or use them to help you feel prepared to tackle any question they may give you is personal choice
so very true ... without practice its really hard to perform to your best ... and practice improves writing speed ...

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Practice makes perfect. . . however it's about whatever suits you and how you believe would increase you ability to answer question as best as possible

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by !meeee!
that's true. a lot of my friends found doing practice essays made them slack off by the time they got to doing the trials cause they were over confident. i guess whatever works for you
I agree with this. I wasn't expecting to get band 6 for Advanced. I think it's more important to maintain interest in a subject, as opposed to knowing it back to front. Instead of writing heaps of practise essays on the same question, do answers to a variety of different questions to get you thinking about broader issues, rather than making your mind dead by desensitising it to the thinking part by over-stressing about memorising everything.

Also, page numbers are the very last thing you should be stressing about! Not only is it completely dependent on the nature of your own writing (as !meeee! said, 7-8 pages is quite enough to get you in the top band), it's also that the pages are smaller (B5 due to margin), the lines are more widely spaced, and the paper is easier to write on!

I was a slow writer, and I could only manage about 4 pages in 40 minutes on normal lines paper, but I wrote 15 in 55 minutes for my Area of Study essay in the HSC, which was about 3 pages typed. That should give you a fair idea of how much less you can actually fit on a page.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

It takes me an hour to write 4 pages so I think 4 pages in 45 min should be a reasonable thing to demand from yourself.
u need to be able to smack down 1 page every 5 mins for ext english maybe not for advanced

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y

u need to be able to smack down 1 page every 5 mins for ext english maybe not for advanced
omg you must be kiddddiiing... besides my english tutor said there's no point writing 10 pages of bullshit. If a 4 page essay is concise & to the point it'll score better.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
hey.
who says i'm gonna rite 10 pages of bullshit?? but theres heeps of stuff in ext english to cover trust me

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
hey.
who says i'm gonna rite 10 pages of bullshit?? but theres heeps of stuff in ext english to cover trust me
Sorry, my fault... by no means was I trying to imply that you're going to write 10 pages of bullshit. Was just trying to point out that length isnt' everything... ext english scares me.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

Sorry, my fault... by no means was I trying to imply that you're going to write 10 pages of bullshit. Was just trying to point out that length isnt' everything... ext english scares me.
*laughs out loud* lol
i know length isn't everything is quality + conciseness

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
a slight note - being concise and having quality is first and foremost ... but its also nice to have quite a bit of quantity ...:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)