Any 1st students finding university life difficult? (1 Viewer)

lo0cy

HSC
UWS is actually really good with this sort of thing (i don't care how crap anyone says it is). Our lectures are posted up before hand so we follow along on the slides, and if people say they're going too fast they stop and let everyone catch up and we still get though everything and finish in time. Same with the tuts. And the teachers are genuinely niceand friendly. It's actually a really good learning enviro especially if you're just coming out of the hsc as it's not so massively different and international students (which make up about half of most of my classes). But yeah the work load is still abit much. Stick at it, and maybe try using a diary or sticky-notes ?

HSC
Yeah I guess I'm finding it hard to adjust to in terms of independent study. Some of my lecturers have been pretty vague about accessing readings etc, so I'm a week behind with all that. I've met a couple friends though in my tutes. Overall, uni isn't that bad at all, just lonely sometimes.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
University life appears to be really difficult to me.
The lecturer i have teaches us a whole chapter in 2 hrs. We also have to print out and read lecture notes, tutorial questions and many more prior to lectures/ tutorials.
The whole lecture thing is so dull. The lecturers generally just keep talking for 2 hrs and occasionally crack some rubbish jokes. And at the end of the lectures, i felt like i didn't learn anything at all.
Welcome to uni life. You will either adapt or drop out.
In lectures they cover topics, but it's up to you to do the practice/ extra reading at home so that you understand the topics. If you still don't get it, ask in your tutes or email the lecturer about it (but ask specific questions, don't just say *can you explain the whole lecture to me again* cause they won't have time for that.)

Note-taking is also a difficult job. We used to have nice teachers to tell us what to write on our books and give us time for writing at school. Not sure if this was the case for everyone, but maybe Im just too unfournate to have gone to a mediocre public school.
The thing is I can't listen when im writing, which make it difficult for me to learn in lectures and tutorials.
I find printing off the lecture slides to be the best way to combat this. It's usually difficult to take notes when the lecturer keeps going off on tangents etc but if you've got the outline you can just fill in the extra details. Also, if you don't get something now there is a chance it will be covered in more detail later. Depends on the subject I guess.

Tutes are where you ask for explanations on things you don't understand. The smaller class sizes are meant to allow you to get extra support. It's really important that, if you're struggling, you use tute groups as a place to get clarification on things you didn't get in the lecture. If there's no chance during the class them maybe you can ask your tutor after the class. They should be willing to help, and if they're not then they aren't doing their job properly.

I am a really unorganised person, never use a diary or anything alike. Therefore I am having great difficuties in organising my own study.
get a diary. use it.

I thought i'd be doing alright at uni because i made the cut-off. but really not as i can see now
haha yes. People who did really well in the HSC often don't adapt to uni life well. If you're used to being spoon fed, it's a rude shock. I had this problem. You get used to it, and you have to learn to pay attention in lectures then teach yourself if you're still having issues understanding. And, know when to ask for help, otherwise you'll get some nasty surprises in your semester exams.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
UWS is actually really good with this sort of thing (i don't care how crap anyone says it is). Our lectures are posted up before hand so we follow along on the slides, and if people say they're going too fast they stop and let everyone catch up and we still get though everything and finish in time. Same with the tuts. And the teachers are genuinely niceand friendly. It's actually a really good learning enviro especially if you're just coming out of the hsc as it's not so massively different and international students (which make up about half of most of my classes). But yeah the work load is still abit much. Stick at it, and maybe try using a diary or sticky-notes ?
fkin lol

shinninggum

wormy_000
HSC
well its been my second week, and i guess its been ok... the first week of lectures/tutorials all admin and getting-to-know you etc... a bit boring.. cause i wanted to learn etc. though not used to sudden rush of assignments, despite just starting and knowing nothing.

i think in the friend department, its happening slowly. You should meet someone in lecture/tutorial that you like and it will slowly expand etc. I had a bad experience with societies so go with a friend, so you can ditch it if it sucks. not sure if i will go to first year commerce camp.

radio-waves

HSC
Listen in lectures rather than writing in lectures.
In tutorials, just do your questions and ask the tut to help u if u dont understand any concept.
Break- Eat, dont walk around, u will get tired cuz the dam uni is too big.
Home- Revise and re-write what the lecture said, using your memory or text book(which most subjects have)
Weekends- either have sex or do more studying or just go out.
This is what im following and having no trouble coping with them, yeh sure thing it took me 2 week to figure it out, but its all cool now.

HSC
N/A
well its been my second week, and i guess its been ok... the first week of lectures/tutorials all admin and getting-to-know you etc... a bit boring.. cause i wanted to learn etc. though not used to sudden rush of assignments, despite just starting and knowing nothing.

i think in the friend department, its happening slowly. You should meet someone in lecture/tutorial that you like and it will slowly expand etc. I had a bad experience with societies so go with a friend, so you can ditch it if it sucks. not sure if i will go to first year commerce camp.
You should, its heaps fun.

coolasiangal

HSC
I totally feel you. I will admit it. After the first day of uni I nearly cried!
Most of my friends are at different uni and it seems people in my class are all selective students with extensive network. Making aquantance isn't hard but people walk their own way right after tutorial or lecture I am so lonely during freetime.
Whenever I flip through the assignment schedules and textbooks (quantitative method in particular) I feel like something is stuck in my throat and a sinking feeling, and to think I have to go through this for five year.

No kidding, I already thinking off dropping one of my degree.

Me TOO . . .
I agree with you 110%!
I sort of feel as if I dont belong in the environment. . .
And people are quite pushy that I become more independent . . when I am not ready to do so . . .
And Im mute in tuts... coz there are older students who just dominate the whole discussion with their vast amount of "general" knowledge.

='(

lets hope it gets better coz it cant get any worse... sigh**

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
you know the funny thing with life is, when you stop agonising or caring about things like finding friends, and follow your own road for a little while, you do end up finding new people who can become your best friends.

Academically, trying hard is good policy. Socially, the effect is the direct opposite.

lala2

Banned
HSC
First year for me was so difficult. Only one other girl from school was doing my course, but we weren't particularly close and I wasn't particularly close to anyone at school either, so that department was fine.

But then it turned out my course was full of people who had come from the same selective school and stuck together, not to mention the demographic difference (think sheltered upper North Shore private school 16 year old girl versus 18 year olds from the west schooled at competitive selective schools). Making friends was a real challenge that year, not to mention the fact everyone else *seemed* to be having fun and making loads of friends.

Turns out, by the time I (hopefully) finish my degree this year, I'll have been involved in more of uni life than any of those people can, because of my loneliness in first year, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Then, there was the workload, and long commuting hours (well, it seemed long at the time, and now I laugh, knowing that an hour's commute each way is now considered short). You just gotta get out there, put your head down, and do what you gotta do. Keep your head afloat, that was my strategy for first year and it worked.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
took me a second reading to see the implication LOL

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
half my grade is at usyd. i can't go anywhere without running into someone i know

edit: this probs isn't helping the morale of the thread. sorry

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Best of all, UWS issues all of its students safety pencils, crayons and colouring books for every lecture! No need to bring anything!

Crashy19

HSC
i moved home and do some external and some on campus at the campus at home

probably not the best option to do for getting used to uni's sake

but thats what i felt i needed to do

dont think i would have got anywhere otherwise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)