Any 2015s doing 4U maths? (Also 2015 4U maths thread) (1 Viewer)

braintic

HSC
N/A
Kind of related, but probably not a satisfactory answer to your question: http://community.boredofstudies.org...does-mean-have-irrational-complex-powers.html.

I don't know quite what you are hoping for in terms of a visualisation.
Thanks for that. I'll have a read when I have time to absorb it, but all that is from a long time ago.
I'm not really sure myself what I mean by visualisation.
Perhaps I thought that as this seems to be a function which would be represented in 6 dimensions,

ie. x+iy = f(a+ib, c+id)
where f(m,n) = m^n

that maybe there are 2/3 D cross-sections that could be visualized to help build up a picture in my mind (other than the obvious boring ones).

seanieg89

HSC
Thanks for that. I'll have a read when I have time to absorb it, but all that is from a long time ago.
I'm not really sure myself what I mean by visualisation.
Perhaps I thought that as this seems to be a function which would be represented in 6 dimensions,

ie. x+iy = f(a+ib, c+id)
where f(m,n) = m^n

that maybe there are 2/3 D cross-sections that could be visualized to help build up a picture in my mind (other than the obvious boring ones).
Oh wow, okay yeah I see. Well its easy enough to understand the exp function graphically on the complex plane (its the familiar exponential on the real line and both real and complex part oscillate sinusoidally in the imaginary direction), so that is a start.

The logarithm is easy enough too, its real grows radially (in the same way the real logarithm grows), and its imaginary part grows as argument increases. (Keeping in mind that argument is multi-valued, so the imaginary part actually looks something like a staircase.)

These two things together give a pretty good idea of what exponentiation *looks* like.

Last edited:

pzeait

HSC
Any good youtube channels which teach the 4u course? Supposedly at the moment, harder 3 unit topics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)