• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

any advise would be appreciated so much... (1 Viewer)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hi, this is my problem and i hope someone will read it and make me some suggestions. any comment would be appreciated...
i'm aiming for 90 in my UAI (because all psychology degree in any university are pretty high), but i can't see myself getting above band 5(at maximum) in these subjects:
Biology (half yearly was 50% just)
Business Studies (floating somewhere around 60%...half yearly)
Maths 2unit (always around 70%)
Ancient History (never passed anything yet. always nearly the bottom)
English standard (I used to be top one or position number two in the subject, but now slowlly dropping)
and only thing I can really do well(always 90% or above) is visual art, which is kind of dumb.
I'm full fee paying student and my language is not English, and my essay writing, grammer and speech are just horrible. I try but every now and then depression, constant relationship break down with my mom(who was asked to come over for my mental health reasons), not having my own room, isolation (no friends as they are all chinese and they are not willing to communicate with me-and i used to skip a year and all my friends are in year12) and relationship problem (getting used by this man i love).
I've already repeated a year and my parents are never happy at my results and the amount of effort that I'm putting in.
I really don't know what I can do to improve my results and I certainly don't know whether I can even get a degree in uni. If I seek counsellor, they will say the issue is out of their hands(as risk of harming myself severely) and report it. then I would be forced to move back to Japan. With no help, what can I do?

A l

HSC
N/A
- Your assessment marks (especially Year 11 marks) are NOT indicative of your performance in the HSC. You should aim to get good ranks. You can lift your level of competence by Year 12.
- If you believe you are being disadvantaged to other students in the HSC (in other words your study is hindered by circumstances out of your control), you may consider applying for Educational Access Scheme.

Lai

c a r p e . d i e m
HSC
I’m no expert at this, and I’m a average student at school but hopefully it’ll help you.

First thing first, give up on the guy! You’re being USED by the man; I don’t think any person should be used, even if you love the person ‘that’ much. Do yourself a favour and ask yourself if he’s worth it, don’t you think you deserve better treatment? There’s plenty of fish in the sea, so dump him already!

Right now school should be your main focus, you want to get into university right? You don’t have to be studying 24/7; you just work on a subject each night for at least two hours, and read over the notes of the day just before you go to bed. It mightn’t work but at least you try, right? And so what if your parents are never pleased, as long as you’re satisfied with the amount of work you’re doing, then you shouldn’t worry – its independent study! Just keep at it, just focus on getting over 90!

I know what you mean by isolation of friends, maybe its time you found a new group of friends. A friend of mine use to sit with a group of Korean girls, they always spoke in Korean and she felt left out because she’s Chinese, and then she joined my group of friends. We’re all from different backgrounds, and we get along like a house on fire. Maybe you should find a group of people at your school, who are from different backgrounds, that way you all can communicate in one language! I know this sounds hard, but its worth a try, really it is!

That’s about all I know, but hope it helps in some way
:eek:

:hammer: PS -- I'm serious about you ending it with the guy, if he loved you, he wouldn't use you. If you stay with him, it's a cry for help!

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To AI:
thank you so much...i will try to be optimistic by the fact that this is not my HSC year, its only preliminary(although nearly ending). and thank you for quick response!

To Lai:
thank you, too. (i'm touched)
i think what i need to do seriously is to get rid of my friend (he doesn't even let me say that he is my boyfriend). i've been with him for awhile, but i was planning to say bye to him this monday. and i will certainly try to go over my notes at the end of the day, always. and i really do agree that something is better than nothing....

thank you so much guys, you don't know how you made my day better...;-)
sayonara and arigatou!

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Welcome to BOS! :)

You seem to be having a tough time, I hope you know that you don't have to go through it alone, there's always people willing to help despite the fact that things look bleak atm. Surely things will get better soon.

I've never been to a counsellor but they're there to help, they won't tell your private details without your consent first and they will provide you with advice on how to deal with your parents and friends which might prevent you from seriously harming yourself. In other words, help you on the right track again.

All the best for you btw.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I know exactly how you feel/mean. First get rid of the guy, plenty of fish in the sea when your in uni. The only way to dramatically improve your English is by speaking it, writing it, reading it and listening to it. I know it's hard to go out of the your cultural social circle. I know because i am Chinese and I use to be like you:)

Put all your effor into your studies
1) Just study for a year and it will pay off for a long time
2) Your parents are working really hard to send you here

BTW, which school?

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Mmmm, don't concentrate so much on your UAI, concentrate on LEARNING and REVISING. Have an idea of what UAI + course you would like to achieve, but don't necessarily dwell on it, and don't let your low results stop you from working.
For now, concentrate on your school work and develop a study routine so that you can be competant for year 12.
Relationship wise, errr some people consider having a b/f or a g/f as a source of distraction, so you might want to be aware of that for your HSC.

Sofstar

HSC
Remeber that the only way now is up! ;). Yeah i agree with the others. The less distractions you have from now on, the better.

If you do feel down from time to time use the Uni course as you're motivation. You don't want to miss out on the course and then look back and see that you could've done better.

One last thing, if you do decide to see a counsellor you might want to ask around the school first. At my school, apparently they end up telling your parents :S. Alternatively there is the kids help line which you can call anytime ( it doesn't show up on your phone bill!) or you can email a counsellor from their site.

Goodluck!

SHAHEEN420

HSC
misericordia said:
hi, this is my problem and i hope someone will read it and make me some suggestions. any comment would be appreciated...
i'm aiming for 90 in my UAI (because all psychology degree in any university are pretty high), but i can't see myself getting above band 5(at maximum) in these subjects:
Biology (half yearly was 50% just)
Business Studies (floating somewhere around 60%...half yearly)
Maths 2unit (always around 70%)
Ancient History (never passed anything yet. always nearly the bottom)
English standard (I used to be top one or position number two in the subject, but now slowlly dropping)
and only thing I can really do well(always 90% or above) is visual art, which is kind of dumb.
I'm full fee paying student and my language is not English, and my essay writing, grammer and speech are just horrible. I try but every now and then depression, constant relationship break down with my mom(who was asked to come over for my mental health reasons), not having my own room, isolation (no friends as they are all chinese and they are not willing to communicate with me-and i used to skip a year and all my friends are in year12) and relationship problem (getting used by this man i love).
I've already repeated a year and my parents are never happy at my results and the amount of effort that I'm putting in.
I really don't know what I can do to improve my results and I certainly don't know whether I can even get a degree in uni. If I seek counsellor, they will say the issue is out of their hands(as risk of harming myself severely) and report it. then I would be forced to move back to Japan. With no help, what can I do?

hi dear, there are so many other wayz u kan get into psychology so don wory alot (im not sayin jus sit back n don try!!!), u gota try ur best bt if u do not get directly into psychology, there are other ways u kan get into it. i also wana do dis course, u kno last yr d required UAI at UWS was 80, which is not dat hard to get!!! mayb u could consider that uni.
if not, u kan study Arts major in psychologoy and the UAI is only around 70s!!
even if that does not work out for u, u kan do a science course at uni and then transfer to psychology if u get credits and extentions...
there are alot of other opportunities for u, bt for now just concentrate on ur studies rather then worrying bout other things, ur prorieties for now should be ur HSC...
anyway gud luck wit everything
shaheen

lala2

Banned
HSC
How long have you been in Australia for? If you're concerned that your Standard rank is dropping (though being first or second is excellent), you can do ESL, but that would depend on how many years you have been here for.

I would personally just put my head down and STUDY, STUDY, STUDY and get all those ranks you can! Remember--it's about ranks not marks. However, the way your personal life is going, I would think it's having an effect on your marks too. Try and see a counsellor if you can--it's apparently confidential and if not, Kids Help Line will help--doesn't show up on your phone bill! And relationship wise, having a bf would be distracting, I reckon. Try and get rid of that guy asap--you don't need any more problems!

As for your subjects, you could ask someone successful in the year above you as to how they managed to do well in x subject. Perhaps a tutor too, if your parents are willing to consent?

Hope all goes well & good luck!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
So much has been said already that I feel that I would just be repeating things, but I'll try anyway.

Don't give a damn about the UAI just now. You will need to soon, but for now, just focus on studying hard in your subjects and performing your best in them. Try to get the highest ranks you can out of it as well, so that you will be primed for year 12, where your performance really counts.

As to your social situation, find yourself some new friends, ditch the boyfriend and get some counselling or somebody or something that can help you with your depression e.g. Kids Help Line. As for your parents, remember that you are doing all this work for YOURSELF, not for your parents, therefore you should be putting in the effort for yourself, and not for your parents. This is your HSC, you remind yourself of that. Also try to fix the relationship between yourself and your mum, you will need support from family and friends as you try to get yourself out of this slump.

Use the psychology degree as motivation to get yourself into some study habits that will help you concentrate on your subjects. Here are some threads that can help you with study tips:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...preliminary-hsc/110724/study-tips-thread.html
http://community.boredofstudies.org...minary-hsc/115509/motivation-tips-thread.html
http://community.boredofstudies.org/128/general-discussion-preliminary-hsc/48858/study-tips.html

Good luck with all of this, and hopefully you will get yourself out of this, with support from friends and family :)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
2 all the people who responded to my thread...
THANKS ALL la~...i guess people's main advices are:
get rid of my boy...friend (who is a bastard who is parasiting on his mom and has got gambling addiction and get pissed all the time...he is gorgeous but he kills me emotionally)
sort out problem
get new friends
work my bum off
so i think i will do it eventually(first it my boyfriend, who should be seeing me on monday(although not sure-i'll ring him tonight. its risky meeting or even calling him anyway because if i get busted, i will be forced to go back to japan by my parents)
and rest should flow..(i will do it)
by the way, to z600-i'm currently studying in chatswood high. you know the crap one:p
anyways, cya and love you all

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Do you want to do well? You do. Tell that to yourself every so often and strive for it. :)

Make sure you understand everything being taught in lessons and ask the teacher or classmates if you don't, get the theory right but perhaps don't rely on them too much on problem solving, as you'll be on your own in exams. Take a question and ask how they would go about solving it, and note down their method - this is more important than merely knowing how to tackle a routine example - and next time try the method yourself. And know what type of things to cover for questions starting with different words in Bio, for example, what your answer needs to include for an "explaining" question, or a "discuss" question.

Also, make summary notes at least once a week, either according to the stuff you're taught or according to the syllabus (or a combination of both :D). Syllabi can be downloaded from the Board of Studies website:

Bio: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/biology_stg6_syl_03.pdf (PDF file)
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/biology_stg6_syl_03.doc (DOC file)

Business Studies:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/businessstudies_syl.pdf (PDF file)
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/businessstudies_syl.doc (DOC file)

Ancient History:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/ancient_history_stg6_04.pdf (PDF file)
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/ancient_history_stg6_04.doc (DOC file)

(I don't exactly make notes for maths and English, but here are the syllabi anyway if you need them :p)
2u Maths:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths23u_syl.pdf

Standard English:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english_stand_syl.doc

^Look at the dot points and check your understanding.

You're gonna have some work to do when you start making notes cos we're already half way through, but don't feel overwhelmed and give up, do a little bit every day and it will add up :) Also remember to come back to your notes and revise them, merely making them wouldn't help *that* much generally :p Alternatively you can check out the Resources section here on BoS, some great notes there :D In my opinion they're best used as supplements to your own notes though, as you improve your understanding in the process of making them :D

As for English, it's still probably the corny saying that goes 'practice makes perfect', my first language is not English either :rolleyes: Perhaps learning some vocab on a daily basis, and come back to revise every so often? :p

And no, you don't have to feel isolated, at least not when you've come to **the great BoS**!! XP But do look around on this forum, there are many people our age here, surely you can find the help and advice you want :)

airie

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I'm so going to get destroyed by airie in the HSC :eek: [comment]Incorrect grammar, but fuck it anyway[/comment]
Surely that would only have the slightest chance of coming true IF I were actually disciplined enough :rolleyes: :p

airie

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
And yet, I have this feeling that you will :p
Right. I shall start being disciplined.

*5 seconds later*

Ooh GemMaster the game! How pretty @.@ I absolutely have to try my hands on it!! *runs off*

... *ahem* See what I mean? :eek: (probably should start work anyway *cough* :p And you! What are YOU doing here replying to my pointless post while you could be studying? *narrow eyes*)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
airie said:
... *ahem* See what I mean? :eek: (probably should start work anyway *cough* :p And you! What are YOU doing here replying to my pointless post while you could be studying? *narrow eyes*)
What am I doing? I'm simply procrastinating, my dear :eek: You see, I have this habit of doing work after midnight, so I'm wasting time until then :p Does that answer your question :p And yes, you should start doing work =P

Last edited:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
If anyone's getting destroyed, it'll be me because airie and SoulSearcher, you both seem to be on top of your studies and from your posts, I get the feeling that your both very intelligent.

I'm going to have to get my act together if I want to reach both your levels. :p

airie

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
If anyone's getting destroyed, it'll be me because airie and SoulSearcher, you both seem to be on top of your studies and from your posts, I get the feeling that your both very intelligent.

I'm going to have to get my act together if I want to reach both your levels. :p
*chokes on coke*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)