Any B.A International Relations students!??? (1 Viewer)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
cherryblossom said:
rofl mao you're kidding me
how old was he when he graduated?!
Anyway, in the perfect world I'd be doing liberal studies, or visual arts or music or something....however, knowing my lack of talent in those fields I'll end on the streets.

neo dudey dude, you do realise a lot of actuaries go overseas because that's where the money is....and from there it's just a short jump to diplomacy. I would really love to go to Europe and Asia for a bit, work there...you know, Australia is lovely but I don't want to spend the rest of my life staring at koala bums, which used to happen a lot seeing as I lived across the street from a national park. *sigh.
there's is a LONG jump between "being overseas" and "diplomacy".

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
fleepbasding said:
there's is a LONG jump between "being overseas" and "diplomacy".
to be sent overseas you'd need language skills and so on, which are good backing for diplomacy.

Edit: well obviously if you were going o/s for a gap year that would be the case but they like people with experience in relevant fields, there isn't a degree named B Diplomacy or anything like that. You need to go o/s and experience what it is really like, atop the expensive tertiary education.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
fleepbasding said:
yeah, good point. But the graduate employment scheme addymac refered to doesn't require overseas experience.
you scare me both times I've gone back to the main page there's a post by you.

no, but it gives you the edge, doesn't it?

another thing I was talking about going into actuarial/law and working overseas, then jumping ship into diplomacy, not the DFAT thingo. You wouldn't have to rely on the grad scheme then.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
addymac said:
The workload for actu/law is pretty intense, ie incredibly intense. Law is a heavy load in itself and actu hard work. Did you do 3u or 4u maths in year12?
well I was doing 4 u, but it looks like I'm dropping. I accelerated 3 u, i.e. did 3 u in yr 11, so no maths this year! But I'm doing legal and modern and chem, which according to twisted and darling neo here is helpful for law.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
cherryblossom said:
you scare me both times I've gone back to the main page there's a post by you.

no, but it gives you the edge, doesn't it?
ha, ha ha. I'm just going through my subcribed threads so when-ever I see you've just posted I reply. sorry for scaring. this makes me laugh. ha ha ha

Yeah, it might give the edge. I really don't know the selection requirements, but after visiting the website I have some distinct impressions- about the graduate employment thing-

1- There is no one type of diplomat... they employ all sorts... computer, engineer, economics, arts etc...

2- very competitive- around 2000-2500 apply for it every year and only 1 or maybe 2 or something around that get it.

3- rigorous selection process including application, written test, interview, medical checks and so on.

4- must move to canberra.

5- ANU is no gaurantee for getting it... in fact, a lot of past winners of it were from all over australia from different unis.

EDIT- heres the link to "graduate trainees" part of the DFAT website- http://www.dfat.gov.au/recruit/graduates/graduate_trainees.html

btw- there are ways other than this to get into diplomacy. but this would be a nice little deal.

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
fleepbasding said:
ha, ha ha. I'm just going through my subcribed threads so when-ever I see you've just posted I reply. sorry for scaring. this makes me laugh. ha ha ha

Yeah, it might give the edge. I really don't know the selection requirements, but after visiting the website I have some distinct impressions- about the graduate employment thing-

1- There is no one type of diplomat... they employ all sorts... computer, engineer, economics, arts etc...

2- very competitive- around 2000-2500 apply for it every year and only 1 or maybe 2 or something around that get it.

3- rigorous selection process including application, written test, interview, medical checks and so on.

4- must move to canberra.

5- ANU is no gaurantee for getting it... in fact, a lot of past winners of it were from all over australia from different unis.
do I catch a hint of sarcasm anywhere there....
shit I'm not even going to try, this is the DFAT website ay? Anyway, it's going to take me 4 years to get Part II and III of the acturial qualification thingo done...and I reckon I'd need to work or something during this time. But there are a lot of ways in, you could do something else and then become a diplomat. Are you thinking straight arts or combined?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
no, no... no sarcasm, just tring to help!Don't be intimidated. It is tough but you never know your luck/talent.

What do you mean by "Are you thinking straight arts or combined?"?

EDIT- btw, if you're interested in the back-grounds of the 2004 intake (2 people who got it) heres a link- http://www.dfat.gov.au/recruit/graduates/profiles/2004_intake.html

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
fleepbasding said:
no, no... no sarcasm, just tring to help!Don't be intimidated. It is tough but you never know your luck/talent.

What do you mean by "Are you thinking straight arts or combined?"?

EDIT- btw, if you're interested in the back-grounds of the 2004 intake (2 people who got it) heres a link- http://www.dfat.gov.au/recruit/graduates/profiles/2004_intake.html
which degree are you thinking of doing at ANU?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
oh right... um... arts/law, arts maybe

really not quite sure, and I'm still wary of moving to canberra. not cos I hate it, just that I don't have any relatives or nothing.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
fleepbasding said:
oh right... um... arts/law, arts maybe

really not quite sure, and I'm still wary of moving to canberra. not cos I hate it, just that I don't have any relatives or nothing.
argh yeah that sucks like majorly. but hmm for me personally it's not like I would make the decent unis in syd or brisbane and going to a shit uni in syd/bris < ANU, plus, cheaper. :)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I struggle to think of a diplomacy type role for an actuary in DFAT, analysis of stats maybe....

It would seem that DFAT wants people who know at least one language, have experience working overseas, did well at uni, committed to continuing learning, etc.

A rough-ish guestimate at a perfect applicant:
Achieved at least a D average at uni, in a course that has some international bearing.
Knows at least one language, more would be good.
Pursuant to linguistic knowledge has spent time immersed in foriegn cultures whilst working for NGOs or in the private sector.
Is physically fit, engaging in a martial art and a team sport for recreation.
Skilled debater.
Well rounded world knowledge.
Excellent interpersonal skills.
Skilled analysis, employing logical+lateral+etc thinking.

The stand-outs being a language and experience in the international sector. Neither of which are particularly suprising.

To give a leg-up I would recommend courses with an international bent esp economics/commerce/arts/law, Learning a language (not arabic, though market will be flooded), part of degree undertaken overseas on exchange, ANIP experience in public service esp DFAT, private sector or NGO involvement.

A good private sector exchange being things like the MITSUI exchange to Japan they take 25 well rounded, smart etc people to Japan immerse them in the culture for a while and in doing so build good-will.

As fall-back second rungs, consider ASIO, ONA, PMs department, Treasury, AusAid and that sort of thing or private sector/NGO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)