Any GREEK students (ancient, middle, modern - whatever pops your cork)? (1 Viewer)

Which periods of Greek do you study?

• Total voters

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
It seems like I'm the only one who really posts in this thread, and if you think that's a little sad, well - just remember, I'm very enthusiastic about what I do, :p.

Infinitessimal Infinitives!!

Ok, so all you Ancient Greek students out there will have probably just learnt about forming infinitives, if you're working from the (typographically annoying) Reading Greek grammar and text. This may look familiar:

θελω γράφειν - 'I want to write'.

In Ancient Greek, the verb inflects to express tense, mood and aspect. By contrast, English uses so-called periphrastic constructions. For example, English uses the preposition to for the infinitive (ex.'to be, or not to be'), and also uses auxillary verbs to express future tense, and the perfective aspect ('I will go', 'I have been'). Modern Greek has come to use similar periphrastic constructions to express the subjunctive and infinitive moods, the perfective aspect, and also to express future tense.

For all those interested (which is probably only me, hehe), I would like to outline the historical development of the mood indicator να from ancient to modern Greek.

Marking infinitives in Ancient Greek simply involves adding a suffix to the root of the word. Ex.

θελω 'I want', and γράφω 'I write', become:
θελω γράφειν, 'I want to write'.

By the Koine period, speakers were beginning to drop the final consonant off the infinitive suffix, causing ambiguity. If γράφειν becomes γράφει, then it becomes homonymous with the third person singular conjugation of the verb, meaning 'he/she/it writes'. To avoid this ambiguity, the word ἴνα, meaning 'so that', came to be placed between verbs to express something like an infinitive. Ex.

θελω ἴνα γράφω, 'I want so that I write'.

During the Medieval period, the first vowel was dropped and the word να became an instant infinitiser (actually, it's a subjunctive marker pretending to be infinitive, but close enough) :D!

Therefore, θελω να γράφω and θελω γράφειν mean exactly the same thing!

Interestingly, the modern Balkan languages use a highly similar mood marker, possible deriving from contact with Medieval Greek - it is equally possible that the feature in Greek was enhanced by contact with the Balkan languages. Ex.

Albanian uses , Romanian uses and Serbian and Macedonian use da in almost exactly the same way as the Greek να.

'I want to write' in several Balkan languages:

Albanian: Dua të shkruaj
Romanian: Vreau să scriu
Serbian: Želim da pišem
Greek: θελω να γράφω

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hah, I look at all the symbols and just see butchered pasta...maybe you could put up the pronounciation up because it just confuzzles me atm:eek:

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
kami said:
Hah, I look at all the symbols and just see butchered pasta...maybe you could put up the pronounciation up because it just confuzzles me atm:eek:
I'll start putting transliterations up in the near future :).

Hymn to Nemesis

On the off chance that people lurk around here, I thought I'd do a little feature on a piece of Greek music from the Roman period.

'Hymn to Nemesis', or ῎Υμνος εἰς Νεμεσι (ymnos eis nemesi) was supposedly written by Mesomedes of Crete, under the auspices of the Roman emperor Hadrian (apparently, the cult of Nemesis was particularly popular in the empire). The piece has been dated to the early 2nd century AD. Mesomedes is also said to have written 'Hymn to the Sun' (on which I have also done a little feature, if you scroll further up :p), 'Hymn to the Muse' and 'Hymn to Kaliope'. These pieces survived largely thanks to the Byzantine Greeks (the paper on which the songs were written becoming neither palimpsets nor the clergys' toilet-paper, :p).

The lyrics just blow me away - here's an English translation (not my own, unfortunately - I couldn't be bothered wading through my dictionary :( ):

'Winged Nemesis, turner of the scales of life
Bright-eyed goddess, daughter of Justice
Who with your unyielding bridle, hate mens arrogance,
Obliterate black envy;
Mans' fate is cast
Beneath your trackless, unstable wheel.
You who come quickly, unperceived,
To subdue the insolent mind. You measure life,
And with darkened brows
Hold the yolk in your hand.
Hail, blessed dispenser of justice
Winged Nemesis, turner of the scales of life.
We praise you, Nemesis,
Immortal goddess, Victory of the outspread wings,
Powerful, unerring,
Co-honoured with Justice and,
Avenger of human pride, throws man into the abyss of Tartarus'

Here's a little musical rendition I've made and uploaded onto Putfile (along with all my BOS Idol stuff :D), using the pronunciation of Koine Greek believed to be most widespread during the Roman period.

http://media.putfile.com/Hymn-to-Nemesis

EDIT: I finally got around to doing a version of Hymn of the Sun :D - http://media.putfile.com/Hymn-to-the-Sun

Last edited:

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Ta Nisiotika: a Song from from Cyprus and a Song from the Dodecanese

Keeping with the musical theme, I thought I'd put some 'modern' Greek folk tunes up here.

Το Γιασεμί - από τις Κυπρό και Κονσταντινόπολι

Το γιασεμί στην πορτα σου
γιασεμί μου,
Tζι ηρτα να το κλαδεψω
ωχ γιαβρί μου.

Τζι ενόμισεν η μάνα σου
γιασεμί μου,
πως ήρτα να σε κλαδεψω
ωχ γιαβρί μου.

Τζι η μυρωδκιά του η πολλή
Υιασεμί μου,
Λαώνει τους δκιαβάτες
ωχ γιαβρί μου.

Τα μαύρα μάτια, τα γλυκά,
Γιασεμί μου,
Tζι ήρτα να το κλαδεψω
ωχ γιαβρί μου.

(Translation taken from liner notes of 'Mediterranea' by Savina Yannatou and Primavera en Salonico. I couldn't translate it, it's in the bizarre Cypriot dialect, lol)

The Jasmine - from Cyprus and Constantinople

The Jasmine at your doorway,
I came to prune,
my jasmine flower,
and your mother thought,
that I had come to steal you away, my dear.

Those sweet black eyes,
those heavy brows,
my jasmine flower,
have made me forget,
my mother's milk, my dear.

Here's a rendition I made, using only the first and last verses:
http://media.putfile.com/To-Giasemi

Θαλασσα - απο τις Δοδεκανησα -

θαλασσα, θαλασσα τους θαλασσινους
θαλασσακι μου,
Μην τους θαλασσοδερνεις
θαλασσονουμαι για σενα
ξημερωνουμαι

Θαλασσα κι αλμιρο νερο,
να σε ξεχασω δεν μπορω.
Vα σε ξεχασω δεν μπορω,
θαλασσα κι αλμιρο νερο.

Ροδοσταμο, ροδοσταμο να γινεσαι
Θαλασσακι μου,
Μην τους θαλασσοδερνεις
Θαλασσονουμε για σενα
ξημερωνουμαι

EDIT: My translation (I've had so much trouble trying to make a translation that captures the spirit of this song, and I don't think I've succeeded. It's full of compound words, expressing the deep pathos of the sea, and English simply doesn't have the same fusional ability. It would be interesting to see this song translated into German):

Sea, sea - the seafarers - my little sea, don't drown them.
Sea, you plunder us; when we awaken, you weigh on our minds.

Sea and salty water, forget you I cannot.
Forget you I cannot, sea and salty water.

Rose water; to become rose water,
My little sea, don't drown them,
Sea, you plunder us; when we awaken, you weigh on our minds.

Sea and salty water, forget you I cannot.
Forget you I cannot, sea and salty water.

Here's a rendition I made -
http://media.putfile.com/Thalassa

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)