Any help? (1 Viewer)

tennille

HSC
My sister is currently completing her school certificate. She's a top student (in the top classes). She's going well in everything except maths. From year 7-8, she was getting in the 90s and all for maths. From year 9, she has barely been passing, in fact, she failed the last 2 exams. What's weird is the fact that only 2 or 3 people have passed these exams in her class. She received her last assessment mark today and one person passed with about 60%. She is in the 2nd highest class, and the class above her is doing the same stuff as her class, but they're managing to pass all their exams. I know my sister studied her arse off for this exam because I saw her do it. I now believe the teacher is fucked considering the class is going crap. My mum already rang up the school and was quite adamant about seeing her teacher, but is there anthing else that I could do to help her?

Thanks.

Guernica

HSC
Well, in a crap-teacher situation, there isn't a great deal you can do? Maybe if she just teaches herself out of a textbook for the next few assessments and gets good marks, and then asks if she can move up a class (to the better teacher).

tennille

HSC
I think she intends to move down a class. She's at the point now where she absolutely hates maths.

P

pLuvia

Tennille said:
I think she intends to move down a class. She's at the point now where she absolutely hates maths.
does she have tutor.. if not u can help her wif all her problems.. mayb buy some supplementary books for her to do.. i liked the excel books.. and i realy liked the "Understanding Year 10 Maths".. their really good.. i recommend u buyt hat.. hope that helkped

tennille

HSC
kadlil said:
does she have tutor.. if not u can help her wif all her problems.. mayb buy some supplementary books for her to do.. i liked the excel books.. and i realy liked the "Understanding Year 10 Maths".. their really good.. i recommend u buyt hat.. hope that helkped
Yeah, we have supplementary books and all. And I've been helping her a bit. I think I need to help her much more though. Thanks for that :)

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
In year 10 maths our teachers set a really long and complicated math exam for the half-yearly. I was one about 3 people out of 60 who passed it. I managed to squeeze about 70-75. One person who got 85 in the half-yearly, failed the other topic tests miserably. The teachers actually decided to ignore the final exam and not use the marks to calcualte the ranks. I strongly suspect it was because their favourite student did not go all that well, as i strongly believed that i had gone alright. I pestered them for the marks and they wouldnt relent.
If the teacher keeps setting hard tests, then you should study harder, but the teacher should also learn to set easier tests.
Also if your sister is stressing out over the SC then let her know that it counts for little once you get your HSC mark (other than showing unis your motivation levels).
It may even be worthwhile doing a few general math exams before the SC.

Alaranth

If you're any good at maths, make yourself her tutor. Force her to sit down with you and go over the last exam. Each question, get her to do it infront of you, if she can't, help her, and find similar Q's in the textbook. That's what I'm doing for my friend, and it's going ok.

tennille

HSC
The problem with your suggestion (my parents and I figured this out recently) is that she's my sister and we're bound to fight at some point when I'm helping her. So I've decided to get one of my firends (whom she doesn't know really well) to tutor her. He did 4 unit maths and got band E4 for both extension 1 and 2 and my parents and I are willing to pay him to tutor her.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)