Any Noam Chomsky readers? (1 Viewer)

Bone577

HSC
N/A
John Pilger and Howard Zinn aswell for that matter.

If you haven't read anything by Chomsky you MUST do so.

Favourite Chomsky book?
Personaly i have to say "Necessary Illusions" was nothing short of ground breaking.

walrusbear

HSC
yeah i've read a bit of noam chomsky

john pilger

i've read the new one, 'hegemony or survival' i think it was called. scary stuff. i've read portions of deterring democracy but i haven't finished it all.
i'm guessing you appreciate his politics more than the whole linguistics thing...

i've read hidden agendas and new world rulers or whatever the new one was called.
he is a bit more silly but yeah.
do you rate any more chomsky stuff?

Bone577

HSC
N/A
walrusbear said:
yeah i've read a bit of noam chomsky

john pilger

i've read the new one, 'hegemony or survival' i think it was called. scary stuff. i've read portions of deterring democracy but i haven't finished it all.
i'm guessing you appreciate his politics more than the whole linguistics thing...

i've read hidden agendas and new world rulers or whatever the new one was called.
he is a bit more silly but yeah.
do you rate any more chomsky stuff?
His linguistics is supposed to be groundbreaking aswell. I know parts of it, but im not fantastically interested.

As for politics, i own Hegemony or Survival, love it to death. Besides Necessary Illusions I would have to say Rogue States. Fateful Triangle is exhaustively good, very very powerful stuff, if your interested in Palestine-Israel then there is no better book by anyone.

walrusbear

HSC
isn't rogue state by a different guy?
someone blum....

perhaps i'm confusing it with something else. it's a pretty generic title i suppose :p

his linguistics stuff is kind of interesting. he believes that humans have an innate mental capacity to learn language from birth.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Yeah, Im not a fan or anything but I read abit of Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent for English.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
manufacturing consent is definately recommended, especially the chapters on indochina. as for pilger, i've only read the new rulers of the world, or whatever it was called. it was quite well written if not inherently biased

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
walrusbear said:
isn't rogue state by a different guy?
someone blum....

perhaps i'm confusing it with something else. it's a pretty generic title i suppose :p

his linguistics stuff is kind of interesting. he believes that humans have an innate mental capacity to learn language from birth.
Yes, the theory of 'Universal Grammar'. Interesting stuff.

As for his political works, I've read a few including Deterring Democracy, Hegemony or Survival, and Year 501. Am interested in Manufacturing Consent, but haven't found it anywhere. Damn capitalistic libraries and bookstores limiting choice. :p

Colgs

HSC
I've read 9/11, parts of Manufacturing Consent and half of one of his books on Linguistics.

I rate him.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Colgs said:
I've read 9/11, parts of Manufacturing Consent and half of one of his books on Linguistics.

I rate him.
Same, i only read a bit of manufacturing consent at the time after i bought but once i got home i put it at the end of the line of my books to read.

Chomsky is amazing, he see things that others miss. One of the great political writers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)