Any rural students on here that have opinion on how they'll go? (1 Viewer)

Georgina168

HSC
Though I do value the opinions of the overachieving Sydney school kids, I want a realistic opinion on how you would go and how you found the Adv english and the Mathematics exams :)
The expectations of a fellow rural student might make my lift my hopes on my atar..

Im not aiming for 99.95 and I didn't get over 100 in maths.

suling

HSC
I'm a rural student, but I did my HSC last year. Being a rural student doesn't mean you have to have lower hopes for your ATAR -it might not seem like that many compared to the city schools, but 12 people at my school last year ended up with an ATAR over 90. I know people doing the HSC this year who are definitely looking at high 90s.

Good luck. :)

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
rural student; while I know my ATAR won't be impressive, people at my school consistently get ATAR's > 90
while going to school in Sydney may help, it's not majorly important. if you're a good student, you'll get the marks and ATAR you deserve

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm rurallll!!!

I misadventured for the English exam though.. I will probably get my moderated assessment mark (was 92 raw). For Mathematics I think I will get around 105-107/120. Extension 1 exam tomorrow :\

A little rant for those who may be from the city: The main thing that we don't have that city kids are is access to services. If you are like me you have no option BUT your teacher for tutoring and lessons, oh wait I had one either teacher that was an option for Ext1 Maths ^_^. We don't have access to any fancy college things (e.g. Dux college), seminar days and we don't have easy access to physical resources either! e.g. We can only purchase dot point books, excel etc online or from out of town (we don't have a book shop really where I live, just Big W).

It's not all bad though, it teaches you not to take the availability of resources for granted. GL, my goal is an ATAR of 90 but anything above 85 will suffice.

Last edited:

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
^ also the quality of teachers
in the city, there's more teachers therefore more choice - so a school can actually hire someone who knows their shit
whereas at my school in some subjects it seems as if they've taken whatever they could

2011_

HSC
I am rural, but I did Adv English last year. I agree, it can be difficult for rural students, but we just need to do our best :) Good luck :)

Fake-Name

HSC
I'm a rural student, but I did my HSC last year. Being a rural student doesn't mean you have to have lower hopes for your ATAR -it might not seem like that many compared to the city schools, but 12 people at my school last year ended up with an ATAR over 90. I know people doing the HSC this year who are definitely looking at high 90s.

Good luck. :)
Just saw your sig. How is the B.Historical Inquiry at UNE? I put it as my 2nd preference under B.Ancient at Macquarie. It seems to offer a few 'What is history?' type of courses that seem pretty interesting.

KateSinead

HSC
I'm rurallll!!!

I misadventured for the English exam though.. I will probably get my moderated assessment mark (was 92 raw). For Mathematics I think I will get around 105-107/120. Extension 1 exam tomorrow :\

A little rant for those who may be from the city: The main thing that we don't have that city kids are is access to services. If you are like me you have no option BUT your teacher for tutoring and lessons, oh wait I had one either teacher that was an option for Ext1 Maths ^_^. We don't have access to any fancy college things (e.g. Dux college), seminar days and we don't have easy access to physics resources either! e.g. We can only purchase dot point books, excel etc online or from out of town (we don't have a book shop really where I live, just Big W).

It's not all bad though, it teaches you not to take the availability of resources for granted. GL, my goal is an ATAR of 90 but anything above 85 will suffice.
Defiantly agree with this.

KateSinead

HSC
in the city, there's more teachers therefore more choice - so a school can actually hire someone who knows their shit
whereas at my school in some subjects it seems as if they've taken whatever they could
same -.-
My english teacher isn't...... fantastic. And hes the only english teacher that taught advanced. So kinda stuck with it

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The English teachers at St Paul's are really good. Especially Catriona Martin.

minzoir

HSC
I'm rural, I'm aiming for 97 but realistically I want 90.
It can be hard sometimes because many of the kids in the cohort don't really care about the hsc very much. This can pose a difficulty for those who do wish to do well. As it is quite hard to be motivated when others around you are not. I don't know if this is the case for other rural students but I find it quite prevalent in my cohort. That being said, there are a select few (of about 5 or 6) which are very likely to get 90+ in my cohort which consists of about 100 kids. Also, many city student's teachers are hsc markers so they are able to give these students a competitive edge over others. Though this may not be the case with all city students, many do have this advantage. All you can really do though is just do your best!
Good luck to everyone in their exams! :)

2011_

HSC
I'm rural, I'm aiming for 97 but realistically I want 90.
It can be hard sometimes because many of the kids in the cohort don't really care about the hsc very much. This can pose a difficulty for those who do wish to do well. As it is quite hard to be motivated when others around you are not. I don't know if this is the case for other rural students but I find it quite prevalent in my cohort. That being said, there are a select few (of about 5 or 6) which are very likely to get 90+ in my cohort which consists of about 100 kids. Also, many city student's teachers are hsc markers so they are able to give these students a competitive edge over others. Though this may not be the case with all city students, many do have this advantage. All you can really do though is just do your best!
Good luck to everyone in their exams! :)
The students in my class are the same - I doubt anyone will get ATAR 80 or more.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
The English teachers at St Paul's are really good. Especially Catriona Martin.
English yes.
SoR and other subjects no...
For the past 2 years in SoR, I've had 1 teacher who was 'trying it out' to decide whether she wanted to get a degree for it and Ms Puzas, who is brilliant at Maths but has no idea about SoR
and there's no way to confirm it, but I do think that I may have performed better if we had a different Chemistry teacher (Mr Ilsley knows his stuff, but when he tries to express his knowledge to others, it just gets confusing)

- in terms of staff range; English, Maths and PE run our school

Georgina168

HSC
My school is one of the best schools in Coffs Harbour, we usually get about 12 or more kids who get over 90. I agree with the teacher thing, some rural teachers are just stupid and shouldn't be teachers at all, let alone get the honor of teaching a hsc class.
Thought on maths, best exam out of the ten past papers I did, need a band 5 in that.
English, ummm belonging was alright, but i'm expecting everyone to go well in that so that won't advantage me. I think module B was my best one, I did In the Skin of a Lion, and talked about women in society (Clara and Alice representing the physical and emotional influences over men - Patrick) and the importance of stories.

Also I think the Sydney school have it pretty easy, their 99.95 atars are well worth the 45 grand spent of tuition. I know it's selective school and you have to work hard to get in there in the first place, but from what i've heard, the elite kids don't go as well as the rural kids in uni in terms of work ethic and results.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
My school is one of the best schools in Coffs Harbour, we usually get about 12 or more kids who get over 90. I agree with the teacher thing, some rural teachers are just stupid and shouldn't be teachers at all, let alone get the honor of teaching a hsc class.
Thought on maths, best exam out of the ten past papers I did, need a band 5 in that.
English, ummm belonging was alright, but i'm expecting everyone to go well in that so that won't advantage me. I think module B was my best one, I did In the Skin of a Lion, and talked about women in society (Clara and Alice representing the physical and emotional influences over men - Patrick) and the importance of stories.

Also I think the Sydney school have it pretty easy, their 99.95 atars are well worth the 45 grand spent of tuition. I know it's selective school and you have to work hard to get in there in the first place, but from what i've heard, the elite kids don't go as well as the rural kids in uni in terms of work ethic and results.
You aren't classifying Coffs Harbour as rural right? :cook:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Rural kid here-I envy all you city kids with your seminar days, your big public libraries and a plethora of tutoring/outside colleges available!

That said, I have better access to resources that many other rural kiddies-and I do have a driver's license.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Rural kid here-I envy all you city kids with your seminar days, your big public libraries and a plethora of tutoring/outside colleges available!

That said, I have better access to resources that many other rural kiddies-and I do have a driver's license.
You sound like you have the same green monster that I have ^_^

suling

HSC
Just saw your sig. How is the B.Historical Inquiry at UNE? I put it as my 2nd preference under B.Ancient at Macquarie. It seems to offer a few 'What is history?' type of courses that seem pretty interesting.
It is fantastic! I really love it. Apart from the core historiography units, there is a huge amount of allowance in terms of what units you can choose, which is great. I mean, the focus is on history but you aren't as restricted in terms of having to major in a specific area such as archaeology, international history etc. There is also room for a lot of electives -mine have been filled up by Latin units this semester.
The 'What is History?' unit, which I did in semester one, was great. Each week they brought in an historian from a different area, so we came in contact with a really diverse range of expertise. It has been similar in 'The Historian' unit this semester. The best thing, regarding UNE in general, is that you actually get to know your lecturers because the internal cohort is quite small. It's pretty nice to have your lecturers know you by name, and know your interests; one of my lecturers actually spent literally 2 hours going over what areas I was interested in in terms of research, as well as encouraging me to do further study etc.

If you would like to know more, just pm me. I would highly recommend the degree. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)