Any suggestions for related texts for AOS - discovery (1 Viewer)

abdullion

HSC
Our prescribed text is The Awakening by Kate Chopin, this text focuses particularly on sexual/self discovery, could anyone suggest TWO related texts (Preferably of different text types) that I could use? It would be very appreciated c:

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
what about for Motorcycle Diaries? have looked at a couple of threads but am asking around everywhere cause i need help haha

Drsoccerball

HSC
what about for Motorcycle Diaries? have looked at a couple of threads but am asking around everywhere cause i need help haha
I did "A Clockwork Orange" as it also expressed challenging paradigms and revolutionary actions seen in "The Motorcycle Diaries." Furthermore they both equally explore the notions of struggle and political imposition. I would recommend using it however it could either work in your favour or the other way around...So be careful of how you analyse it as the novel/film is a controversial text and can tend towards subjectivity.

Fiction

HSC
Although it can be good to have you related match with your core (theme-wise) as Drsoccerball's related does, keep in mind you're exploring the concept of discovery and not political revolutionary concepts/ the development of a social conscience by individuals. And since Discovery's a pretty broad concept, you can literally chose any text.

One thing I would suggest when choosing related texts would be to have one which can broadly encompass as much of the rubric as possible. Personally I regret not doing that in my related (which was 'Plurality' by Dennis Liu and had little to no re-discovery). A good related I would've used if I had thought of it sooner, would be 'The secret life of Walter Mitty". The film encompasses rediscovery - yet also discovery in the sense of finding something for the first time, unexpected discoveries, discoveries being a process, transformative for both the individual and those around them, new perspectives through interacting with others etc

Hope that helped and all the best for your English studies :)

knightus10

HSC
Well I didn't study "The Awakening," but for the AOS this year I used a foreign documentary called "The Last Train Home." Maybe it'll connect to your text since this film deals with challenging societal and familial expectations in order to discover self identity and how discovering fragmented and isolated familial bonds can suspend an individual from moving forward. This film mainly delves into breaking expectations from others so yeah....

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
We have to use a prose and visual text and compare them, then conclude which one most effectively communicates the concept of discovery.

I did "A Clockwork Orange" as it also expressed challenging paradigms and revolutionary actions seen in "The Motorcycle Diaries." Furthermore they both equally explore the notions of struggle and political imposition. I would recommend using it however it could either work in your favour or the other way around...So be careful of how you analyse it as the novel/film is a controversial text and can tend towards subjectivity.
Thanks. something easy would be best haha...haven't been getting great marks. yr10 was fine, they just dropped heaps this last year.

Although it can be good to have you related match with your core (theme-wise) as Drsoccerball's related does, keep in mind you're exploring the concept of discovery and not political revolutionary concepts/ the development of a social conscience by individuals. And since Discovery's a pretty broad concept, you can literally chose any text.

One thing I would suggest when choosing related texts would be to have one which can broadly encompass as much of the rubric as possible. Personally I regret not doing that in my related (which was 'Plurality' by Dennis Liu and had little to no re-discovery). A good related I would've used if I had thought of it sooner, would be 'The secret life of Walter Mitty". The film encompasses rediscovery - yet also discovery in the sense of finding something for the first time, unexpected discoveries, discoveries being a process, transformative for both the individual and those around them, new perspectives through interacting with others etc

Hope that helped and all the best for your English studies
Thanks for that...I've seen the Secret Life of Walter Mitty...was on a bus so was half asleep haha. Would like interstellar or wonder or like the perks of being a wallflower be ok? I've done a bit of research but haven't found a definite list of 'these are really good'. Will keep looking haha

I used Spirited Away by Hayao Miyazaki
Ok will have a look. Thanks =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)