any tips for 2006 phys students? (1 Viewer)

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
aural_sax05 said:
boiiz and girls

listen up

dont try and tell me phys is hard cos its basic

so just bludge around and ull be fine

no point writing answers to dot points or doing past papers cos its a awaste of time and is not necessary

hehe

phys is the best

just do iur dot points
n ur papers

n have fun

:D
hmmmm...I both agree and disagree with aural
yes, physics is very good and u should have fun but no, it is not very easy
(I might have said this somewhere else but here goes) i got 96 for phys last year
97 got you a state ranking *damn it* and I have a forewarning for all physics 06ers...physics is getting harder and harder every year, I got 12 out of 15 (I think) for the MC in last year's paper but as u can see ended up with a strong band 6. I can't stress this enopugh but don't regurgitate from textbooks. Markers HATE HATE HATE these people and now they are designing papers that actually test physics knowledge and understanding and how you apply this knowledge.
Know all your pracs and do all your research as they can test these in indirect and obscure ways...if you are going to memorise something, memorise your syllabus and all its dotpoints.
They also love testing prac skills so know graphing techniques and prac skills (reliabilty and validity, systematic and random errors, precision, accuracxy, line of best fit, independent and dependent variables, greastest deviation from the mean)
I'm telling you this now so when you sit the 2006 HSC paper you don't go wtf is an independent variable?

Lexie1001

HSC
thanks so much for your ideas guys...much appreciated! esp since my school is crap at sciences...no band 6s in phys/chem since 2001 :(

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Lexie1001 said:
thanks so much for your ideas guys...much appreciated! esp since my school is crap at sciences...no band 6s in phys/chem since 2001 :(
have u considered taking on a physics tutor?

tacuric

HSC
Lexie1001 said:
hey everyone...im just starting the hsc course for physics and i think all the 2006 physics class would really appreciate it if u could tell us what u've learnt from your mistakes this year and any advice on how to get the best mark!
thanks heaps! :)
just make sure that you do the homework and study. you will do fine

Cobra

Ouch, oww, Ouch! owww....
HSC
lol, yeh study hard, and u can neva go wrong. Ensuring you know all the dot points is also an effective way to study. Ask your teacher for the syllabus if s/he hasn't given you it already.

SlaminSammy

HSC
just a few tips... yes everyone can provide some.. like study the dot points, write paragraphs etc... but there's a deeper level to it all, so ill go into that.

The MOST IMPORTANT tip that anyone could give you for doing really well in physics is "MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR COMMUNICATING" If you don't, it will surface somewhere in your answer. I know this through experience. You must understand your topics.. and i mean all of it!

But how do you do that exactly? How do you develop an understanding of how something works? What are some tips when it comes to all this?
Firstly... Listen to what you teacher says. Go home after school and read through your textbook about the topic you learnt about in class. By now.. you will probably understand how a something works to some degree. But for MOST OF YOU.. you probably wont... so after you have read your textbook through once and have done your homework... read through another textbook on that same topic. And then read some pages on the internet. Just type in your topic. For example "electromagnetic induction" or "the slingshot effect" and just read through some of the sites you get. ALSO check out www.hsc.csu.edu.au. They give you a dot point summary of the syllabus.
If you can (i did and i did really well) make notes from your textbooks and the hsc page. You should... by now understand your stuff pretty thoroughly.

Go further tho... Have discussions with people in your class before school and teach them what you know. After doing what i suggested above i was amazingly good at explaining how something worked. People started coming to me all the time asking about something to do with semiconductors or g forces. I improved my understanding and solidified the ideas in my mind. Someone said in a previous post that its how well you can explain something. You will find that the best way to learn how to write in a comprehensive way is to teach it to someone. Keep in mind the BAND 6 requirement for use of technical terms.

Teaching someone or answering one of their questions is a good way of knowing whether you really understand something. You will know if you don't understand it. You will be unsure of yourself. You'll tiptoe around things that you don't completely know... or you will make assumptions. IF you cant recognise all that for yourself... well your pretty much fucked... you better go kill yourself.

Have a conversation with your physics teacher about what you were learning. Ask them heaps of questions. then ask some more. Then some more. Then stop for like 5 seconds... pause pause and then ask some more. You'll get instant feedback(sometimes you might wanna ask if your on the right track) whether your brain is made of gold or whether its made of coal..... Although some of the dimwit teachers i've met over the place wouldn't have a clue anyways... I hope your a lucky person.

How about studying for exams
Get a friend together and teach each other what you have been studying. I remember arguing with a friend like 4 days before the physics exam about nuclear bombs and superconductors... we even got to the stage where we went to our teacher at school to ask for help.. (we were studying across the road at Starbucks.) Me and my friend wont forget the stuff we talked about(P.S. We were the only two in our class to do this and we both winded up with band 6's)The key to a good conversation for studying is understanding your topics.

We also made heaps of notes on nearly everything. Pretty much do everything everyone else said ASWELL as the stuff i said above and you are pretty much guaranteed a good mark for your hsc in physics...

OH BTW... if you want a good mark for physics get the best internal rank you can... You hsc marks are calculated according to your internal assessment ranking. search BORED about how your internal ranking affects your hsc mark... I'm not going into that here... takes to long... If your really that lazy and your desperate, i can tell you if you PM me... Those that make the effort deserve to know.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Wow I can't believe nobody has mentioned this.

One aspect of physics drives me nuts - the questions based on H1-5 outcomes.

Yes, you can be asked things which aren't actually in the syllabus.

I've noticed each year there has been a gradual increase on the emphasis on H1-5 outcomes (look them up in the syllabus specifically).

So don't be suprised if you get a 7 mark question on "how has technological advances affected the nature of scientific thinking" or "evaluate the roles of FHI's in validating scientific models"

If your one of those people who can't manipulate what they learn, only spit it out - you may suffer.

Fatal1ty

HSC
My tip for HSC physics is:
DON'T DO IT BY DISTANCE ED
I do it by DE and it's ten times harder. You don't have a teacher who is near and readily on hand to ask about stuff. You've got no one and you have to teach argueably one of the hardest cources TO YOURSELF. Its a bloody niqhtmare people especially if you are in my case where alot of the learning material they send you is full of numerical mistakes, inconsistencies and is sometimes even flat out incorrect! You can waste hours trying to understand a concept because the information and examples you have been given are WRONG! And to turn that pit bottomless your teacher is not always available to ask for help!
You've got to be damn committed if you gonna go DE.
:bomb:

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Vagabond said:
So don't be suprised if you get a 7 mark question on "how has technological advances affected the nature of scientific thinking" or "evaluate the roles of FHI's in validating scientific models"
You know, I hate that type of questions, basically the only thing you do is making up and twisting stuff around :mad: Even though I liked Geography last year it doesn't make me like these questions a little bit :S

rama_v

HSC
airie said:
You know, I hate that type of questions, basically the only thing you do is making up and twisting stuff around :mad: Even though I liked Geography last year it doesn't make me like these questions a little bit :S
Don't worry, you only have to put up with it for this year. When (if) you do physics in uni, the questions are basically all problem-based :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)