Any tips for 'legible' handwriting? (1 Viewer)

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
They want us to write heaps & write fast. Thats not a good combo. I usually get 9 pages in my exams, but my writing is horrible. Of course it would be! What do they expect. To make each stroke neat that would mean you put more grip into it and I just can't do that.

Any tips on how to write fast or write neater??​

Last edited:

Lori.

HSC
Try to write bigger than you normally do, it's what I'm going to do, because I find that my writing gets really messy and unreadable when I write small.
The writing booklets that we get given have bigger spaces between the lines as well, so that gives you enough space to write nice and big.

Otherwise allow yourself an extra 5 minutes (if you can afford to spare them) at the end of your exam to go through your paper and cross out anything that isnt neat and write it again neatly

hannahxxx

HSC
If you have a good pen-i.e. one with a good grip at the end that makes it easier. make sure you flex your hand at da end of every 3 sentences or so-cause otherwise your hand(obviously) gets really heavy/cramped which makes your writing worse. Also consider cutting back on the essay if your writing is REALLY illegible. Ask your parents to try to read what you've written at da end of every essay. Apparantly if a marker at the hsc centre can't read the essay then they give it to another marker and eventually if they can't understand it they give it to secretary who writes the words above what you've written....basically they go to great lengths to understand what you've written...hope that helps :)

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
My writing tends to be neat at the start then uglier and uglier then unreadable virtually...

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
Jessica_00 said:
My writing tends to be neat at the start then uglier and uglier then unreadable virtually...
Ok here's a tip which I use...

Write big, after every paragraph or when your hand begins to hurt. Take 2-3 seconds to stretch out your arm and shake it off.

One problem is that when trying to write fast if your hand hurts, then your keep writing slower than before and messier.

Also, i tend to be able to write neat when I lean over my paper whilst sitting straight up (lol you can see as my writing is horribly messy I have practiced :) )

umm.. oh yeah. Space out your words. the marker would rather 3 words a line that are big and possible to read than 7 words a line that they can't make out anything form.

Dr_Doom

HSC
I rang the advice line last night and asked if the quantity matters, they said no. Just do your normal writing. The number of pages has no influence what so ever on your mark.

fijitalia

HSC
a tip, psychologically, black is easier to read to a marker and they tend to have a greater disposition to it.
now that could be nonsense, but when it comes to a black pen or a blue pen, why not take the risk
seriously

B35tY

HSC
Alternatively, it could be argued that a really BRIGHT blue would stand out to the marker and give you an edge.

Naylyn

HSC
hannahxxx said:
Apparantly if a marker at the hsc centre can't read the essay then they give it to another marker and eventually if they can't understand it they give it to secretary who writes the words above what you've written....basically they go to great lengths to understand what you've written...hope that helps :)
My english teacher told me something similar to that, ie that they give it to a typist who translates it for them.

They might say that quantity doesn't matter but the more that you write the more chance that you will cover all aspects of the question

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
Write big. If you feel your writing getting messy, stop yourself, flex and stretch your hand and wrist, and start again. Like others have said though, they're pretty leniant, but you don't want to get a marker in a bad mood. Don't get too paranoid though.

Dr_Doom

HSC
I did an essay a few hours ago and wrote big. I got 9 pages in the HSC booklet, and when I typed it up it was around 1060 words... And it was a radio interview. :O

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
i've been doing heapss and heaps of practice essays for english... and i've been able to get faster and faster every time... and my handwriting is stilll the same except towards the end... i write 1538 (cuz i typed it out to see) in 43 minutes...
and thats without intro and conclusion... and my creative writin is 25 mins written... so when u thin about it... u can sorta afford to write alot more int he synthesis if ur timing around everything is correct...

timing is crucial and yes my hand does cramp.. buti cant seem to want to stretch or anything.. for some reason its like im losing valuable seconds lol :S

Dr_Doom

HSC
I never did write much in English class... Everyone else did, so now everyone else can write fast =[

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Practise writing at a rate that is sustainable, that is, won't screw your hand up for at least 2 hours. Try not to rush as you get into the middle of your essay and onwards.

Horst Burkhardt

Bastard Sys***** of Hell
HSC
:bomb:Ok, so not everyone wirtes perfectly. But consider this (and yes, I'm sorry for beginning a sentence with "but") - Anything you write will be better than the output of a thousand monkey at a thousand typewriters - the experiment has been tried, and usually the monkeys just try to eat the typewriters ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)