Any UTS law students here? (1 Viewer)

kaloobshaz

HSC
Hi,

So I just completed my HSC and it looks like I'll be doing business/law at UTS.

Are there any UTS law students or graduates here?

If so...

Generally, what do you guys think the job prospects for law students are like now? I've been hearing scary stories about people being left jobless for years...

What do you think the job prospects for UTS law graduates are like compared to law graduates from other unis? Do you guys think you're just as disadvantaged as all other law graduates due to the current economic situation? Or do you think a lot of you guys get discriminated because employers think UNSW/USYD graduates are better? In the end of the day, do most of you guys and your friends get jobs?

Also are there internships for law? Does UTS get internships for its students or are we required to find it ourselves or what?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
uts law is really good i have been told by friends who are currently studying it. i was originally in it, but decided to drop the law component and stick with business due to many reasons.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Generally, what do you guys think the job prospects for law students are like now? I've been hearing scary stories about people being left jobless for years...
The same as it has been for a while now - absolutely terrible. My favourite joke about it is wannaspoon's "I liked the part where you put law and job prospects in the same sentence."

What do you think the job prospects for UTS law graduates are like compared to law graduates from other unis? Do you guys think you're just as disadvantaged as all other law graduates due to the current economic situation? Or do you think a lot of you guys get discriminated because employers think UNSW/USYD graduates are better? In the end of the day, do most of you guys and your friends get jobs?
See my comment here.

Also are there internships for law? Does UTS get internships for its students or are we required to find it ourselves or what?
There are clerkships for penultimate year students but in terms of internships, I believe they are something you must take the initiative yourself to try and find. The UTS Careers job vacancy search on their website usually has various employment opportunities for Law students (internships/paralegal work/etc) but these are not things the uni tracks down and gets you, they're just things that are available to you and it is expected that you seize the opportunity.

-------

Personally I enjoy UTS Law but others who are generally more self-serving find it to be a crapfest. It'll really depend on how you feel you fit in when you get here.

kaloobshaz

HSC
Thanks sooo much for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Anyone else have anything to share?

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
I finished my undergrad Law/Arts at UTS in 2011 and am back now doing Masters (LLM).

Internships - yes, you have to take the initiative to search them out yourself. The uni doesn't organise these for you.

Job prospects - are pretty bad, as there are too many law graduates these days. However, of my friends who graduated, they are all employed: either in accounting/audit, practicing lawyers, in house legal counsel and one in legal publishing. This being said, we graduated in 2011, not sure if the prospects were better then... However, those who did not take up work immediately after graduating, did struggle a bit to find full time work later down the track. It's best to start working during your studies to get your foot in the door. Given the number of law grads getting churned out of uni these days, I think it would be experience that makes the difference.

bogirogi

HSC
N/A
I finished my undergrad Law/Arts at UTS in 2011 and am back now doing Masters (LLM).

Internships - yes, you have to take the initiative to search them out yourself. The uni doesn't organise these for you.

Job prospects - are pretty bad, as there are too many law graduates these days. However, of my friends who graduated, they are all employed: either in accounting/audit, practicing lawyers, in house legal counsel and one in legal publishing. This being said, we graduated in 2011, not sure if the prospects were better then... However, those who did not take up work immediately after graduating, did struggle a bit to find full time work later down the track. It's best to start working during your studies to get your foot in the door. Given the number of law grads getting churned out of uni these days, I think it would be experience that makes the difference.
Was there any mature age students in Law, like 30+?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)