Any ways to get a travel concession for international uni students? (1 Viewer)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
jb_nc said:
No, she is an international student and she SHOULD pay full fares, not be subsidised by the taxpayers of New South Wales for her travel in a country which she is not a citizen of.

End.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Concession fares are a type of price discrimination designed to maximise revenue. Plus all students ought to pay less on principle because they're not earning full time.

SuitCase

HSC
The politics of which aren't really worth getting into. It's not going to change, however stupid or unfair it is. Really, I'm just hoping there won't be any uni fee hikes for her.

SuitCase said:
Fantastic. Thank you for that information! I will look into both tomorrow and report back to the thread at some point.
So yeah, I did just that and got the yellow travelpass for $45 from a newsagent - it's pretty old school-looking and so far my girlfriend hasn't been checked, and I doubt she will for the rest of the year. But it's a valuable "get out of jail free card" for the time she is checked on the quiet north shore line between turramurra and lindfield and I thank the participants of this thread for helping me find a solution!

The bus still costs $1.70 each way but this can be coped with. Being able to "avoid" train tickets (though $45 is indeed about a month of student-priced fares anyway) is a great way to get around the whole lack of concession thing and I think it will work out great.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Do you spend this amount of time thinking about useful things? Haha I can't believe how much time and effort you put into considering every option on this topic.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Concession fares are a type of price discrimination designed to maximise revenue. Plus all students ought to pay less on principle because they're not earning full time.
If they're citizens.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
jb_nc said:
If they're citizens.
But see the purpose of a public transport subsidy is to induce people to travel by public transport rather than by cars. The price discrimination mechanism of concession fares is consistent with that purpose. It's not some type of welfare arbitrarily handed out at the expense of tax-payers.

SuitCase

HSC
iambored said:
Do you spend this amount of time thinking about useful things? Haha I can't believe how much time and effort you put into considering every option on this topic.
Hey, it didn't take that much time, and a lot of it (like now!) was spent at school waiting between classes.

Besides, err let me think..

Uhh.. $4\day.. 4 a week.. uh!

Assuming the travelpass is never checked, I just saved my girlfriend $280+ this year with a $45 investment. See, isn't that worthwhile? ;)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
But see the purpose of a public transport subsidy is to induce people to travel by public transport rather than by cars. The price discrimination mechanism of concession fares is consistent with that purpose. It's not some type of welfare arbitrarily handed out at the expense of tax-payers.
public transport is cheaper than cars even if you are paying full-fare prices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)