any year 12 doing engineering studies (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Hey i chose engineering studies for yr 11 coz im good at it in yr 11 and find interest in it. however i've heard that the amount of effort required for it is not worth it because of the poor scaling it has. is this true? who is doing the HSC engineering exam? How hard is it? SHould i change my subject to something else?

Confused:jawdrop:

Weasel406

HSC
Uni Grad
When I did engineering studies I personally found it pretty boring most of the time. I'm doing Electrical Engineering now and it is nothing at all like what we did in Engineering Studies. If you were to do something else, what would you choose?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
idk many of the other subjects dont interest me, im not interested much in law/eco and find interest in business/computer/science stuff. But i just chose engineering coz wanna do it at uni and most of my friends who do eng@UNSW did it, so idk. I get constant 85+ in assingments /most tests

Weasel406

HSC
Uni Grad
Have you put any thought into software design and development (I think that is what it's called)? I never did it in school myself, but a bit of programming knowledge would assist you greatly in most engineering degrees.

In the end, only choose what you really want to do. If engineering studies interests you then go for it. From memory it is a mix of engineering theory, maths, physics and drawing. The subject certainly requires effort, however I think it is easy to do well in with a bit of practice.

Deliriously

HSC
What other subjects are you studying?
I too did engineering studies in yr11 but I dropped it simply because knew it would not count to my ATAR due to its lower scaling compared to my other subjects. Despite its moderate workload (in yr 11), I did find it somewhat enjoyable.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
subs are under my profile but i'll list em

english adv
business studies
maths 2u
IPT
physics
engineering

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
subs are under my profile but i'll list em

english adv
business studies
maths 2u
IPT
physics
engineering

Deliriously

HSC
Engineering studies does complement physics to an extent and it seems like you're doing well with it so I would perhaps keep it. How content are you with your other subjects?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i chose business because it compliments a lot of courses at uni's and english is kinda a must...and physics is my favourite science so it would be kinda natural to want to do better at something you enjoy. and IPT is because its relatively of interest to me and i dont find it hard in yr 10

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
and i chose maths 2u coz the teachers recommended it and see how i get in yr 11 and then try and pick up ext 1 in the first few days of yr 11

perhapsmaybewhy

HSC
english adv
business studies
maths 2u
IPT
physics
engineering

lmao thats exactly what i did in year 11 i got rid of physics for senior science and went down to std english
if you enjoy engineering just keep it

Weasel406

HSC
Uni Grad
i chose business because it compliments a lot of courses at uni's and english is kinda a must...and physics is my favourite science so it would be kinda natural to want to do better at something you enjoy. and IPT is because its relatively of interest to me and i dont find it hard in yr 10
Sounds like you know what you want to do then. Give it a shot and see if you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy anything just drop it, it doesn't hurt to drop a subject in the first semester of year 11.

Brotein

HSC
You really have to concentrate in year 11 to establish your foundations. Once you do that, youre completely fine but be careful of the broad syllabus.

spanky125

Just waitin' for a mate
HSC
If you saw this year's exam for engineering you would not consider it at all.

emanfaz

HSC
If you saw this year's exam for engineering you would not consider it at all.
Far out that test was bs, they put the worst questions all into one paper. I studied all papers from 2006-2013 specimen and this was by far the hardest year.

CODfan

HSC
Engineering Studies is a difficult subject. When i studied it, was more difficult than most of my other subjects. I managed a Band 6 (ranked 1st in school) and it boosted my ATAR.

Now i teach Engineering Studies to my students. It is a difficult subject in the sense that the syllabus is broad and covers alot of different topics. If you enjoyed Yr 11, Yr12 will also be as interesting.

Do not worry about if subjects will help you in your university studies. First and foremost, get the MARKS you need to get into your university course. Engineering Studies may not be a high scaling subject, but it doesn't mean getting a medicore score in a high scaling subject is any better for your ATAR.

HSC_killer

HSC
N/A
Doing, engineering studies, if you are doing good at it, trust me stick to it, if your performance starts to drop below 80 start thinking about dopping it. Because you do physics and engo, its does work together and im not sure, but you can get some bonus points for uni if you do well in phys and engo so have a look

Ikki

HSC
Engineering studies best complements the subject set as follows: 4u Math, Chem, Phys.
I can vouch that Literally everything works together with engineering. In 4u math, mechanics interlinks. Chem, materials science interlinks. Phys, vectors, motors, forces interlinks.

Basically it is an awesome subject that works together with other subjects.

In terms of dropping to 10 units. Do it (like me) if you feel you are not good enough in engineering to get a high band 5 atleast. If dropping it will help you focus on your other subjects do it, but be warned, those few extra hours can fly by fast and arn't really vital. People with 12 units still can maintain top ranks across subs.

ATAR Achiever

HSC
I don't do engineering studies, but just curious as to how well it has scaled over previous years? Does anyone know a band 6 cut-off?

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty much no scaling. HSC engineering is shit lol. I would advise against anyone picking this subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)