Any1 doing Bachelor of Commerce at Usyd or UNSW (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by shazabdazla
hey minai, did you say you are doing a major in IBUS?....do you find it interesting? what subjects do you do and do you think it will far widen your career prospects?...........i am doing business/law and have to choose between a major in accounting/IBUS.....but i can't find out how it will affect my legal job prospects....
Yes, I find it pretty interesting - probably the most interesting of all my subjects this year, coz it was something different. As for your career prospects - u are doing law so whatever business discipline u choose will get u a good career - the major u choose essentially guides u to a specific area. It depends what u want to do - with IBUS, u can go into international trade law, importing/exporting, international business consultancy, legal advice for multinationals, and eventually international management etc etc. With accounting, u'd move into work with probably a major accounting firm, auditing and consulting etc.
I am doing Accounting and International Business, and I consider IBUS as a compliment to accounting.
The subjects at UNSW for IBUS are
Global Business Environment
Managing Across Cultures
International Business and Multinational Enterprise
International Business Managment
Asia Pacific Business
and then there are numerous electives
and also a 4th year honours stream

Originally posted by hbk_ace
do you get work experience in firms like PWC if u do Bacholar of Commerce in Sydney and UNSW??
U dont get it automatically, u have to apply and compete for these positions yourself

shazabdazla

..thank you so much for that minai. i have really been struggling to find such information. I have one more question (hehe) if you don't mind....

ok, well basically i've been accepted into b business/b laws (at scu) and i have to choose a strand of business by 4 december...eek...and i am very interested in both accounting and IBUS.......

1. er, do you think there would be more job prospects in accounting law then in IBUS law?....there aren't ANY electives in the scu accounting major..i hear graduate law is very competetive (in the workforce)..(.and coming from a uni like scu, i would be less favoured than a unsw/usyd grad...)

2. unsw don't do transfers with scu...do they? (hopeful)...do you elite unsw people scoff at your regional scu fellow undergrads..hehe (what impressions do you have regarding the calibre of this uni?)

3. the IBUS careers seem much more enticing...yet harder to crack..hehe...again, i would have limited opportunities as a distinction scu grad compared to a distinction unsw grad...(blind assumptions on my behalf..lol)

Thank you in advance for your input!!!!! (unsw law/commerce...is but a far-fetched dream..or something)

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
hey Minai i got a Q if u dont mind, do u know ne body doin marketin as a major at UNSW, if so do u know what they think of it, is it boring?, what are the career opportunities wit markeetin?

ohh, and what happend to this yrs business studies comp, i havn't recieved the results yet, and i was pretty confident i did ok

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Suney_J

ohh, and what happend to this yrs business studies comp, i havn't recieved the results yet, and i was pretty confident i did ok
i already got mine in September..i got credit..u know the silly thing i did was I attempted nearly ALL q's..n i found out like nearly at the end that there was negative marking:(.. even though i got most right in my class I got the third ranking...only cuz of negative marking n yeah my SILLINESS!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by shazabdazla
1. er, do you think there would be more job prospects in accounting law then in IBUS law?....there aren't ANY electives in the scu accounting major..
2. unsw don't do transfers with scu...do they? (hopeful)...do you elite unsw people scoff at your regional scu fellow undergrads..hehe (what impressions do you have regarding the calibre of this uni?)

3. the IBUS careers seem much more enticing...yet harder to crack..hehe...again, i would have limited opportunities as a distinction scu grad compared to a distinction unsw grad...(blind assumptions on my behalf..lol)
1. Thats hard for me to say, since Im not a careers advisor, but I know from reading the good uni's guide, that graduates with accounting degrees almost always get jobs wen they graduate. IBUS is harder to say, because it is less certain what field of work u will eventually get in to, as opposed to accounting.

2. If u want to transfer to UNSW, u'd have to apply with UAC, anyone can transfer anywhere, as long as u apply with UAC!

3. Yes thats exactly it, IBUS career is far more interesting, yet getting a 'good' job wen u graduate will be competitive. And u never know, I suggest u find a copy of the Good Universities Guide 2004, to check the % rates of graduates who have jobs wen the graduate from SCU law/commerce. U can compare that to UNSW grads. UNSW grads would be favoured based on the prestige of their degree, but that doesnt mean to say u as an SCU grad will have no chance.

Originally posted by Suney_J
hey Minai i got a Q if u dont mind, do u know ne body doin marketin as a major at UNSW, if so do u know what they think of it, is it boring?, what are the career opportunities wit markeetin?

Hmm..I kno a couple of ppl doing marketing, but all they tell me is that is alright...thats all i can say, those friends have only done 1 marketing subject this year anywya, the foundation subject. I suggest u inquire at the Open Day coming up in January

About business studies..yes u shoulda recieved ur results a couple of months ago! check with your school

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
yeah thnx, ill ask my teacher bout the comp, but i already feel like an outsider coming bak 2 skool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)