Any1 doing Bachelor of Commerce at Usyd or UNSW (1 Viewer)

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
ok:) thanks minai!
one more question...sorry...
I looked throuhgh B of Economics course and it bascially has similar majors as B of commerce...however the required UAI is pretty less than commerce...what could be the reason??

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by perfectionist
ok:) thanks minai!
one more question...sorry...
I looked throuhgh B of Economics course and it bascially has similar majors as B of commerce...however the required UAI is pretty less than commerce...what could be the reason??

No worries ~

Well, basically the only fundemental difference is that in B.Economics, ONE of your majors must be either Economics, Econometrics, Economic History or Financial Economics, and u can't do Actuarial Studies in B.Ec. That's the only differece.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Isn't there a difference in terms of the recognition your receive for the degree and the units studied?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Generator
Isn't there a difference in terms of the recognition your receive for the degree and the units studied?
Well yes..u receieve a Bachelor of Economics..and u are recognised as a professional economist

crazylilmonkee

HSC
if i cant get into economics.. say i was a few marks off.. and i chose arts but eco subjs within it, wat are the chances that i can get into commerce or eco?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sorry, I meant that if you were to take, say, accounting in an economics degree would you get the same recognition as from accounting within a commerce degree? I was told that you wouldn't be recognised (USyd)...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by crazylilmonkee
if i cant get into economics.. say i was a few marks off.. and i chose arts but eco subjs within it, wat are the chances that i can get into commerce or eco?
The chances depend on your 1st year perfomances
If u were a close to the UAI cutoff, and u get predominately Distinctions and Credits for all your subjects, u should have a good chance

Minai what course are u doing?

is it only B.commerce or a double degree?
B.Commerce

Originally posted by Generator
Sorry, I meant that if you were to take, say, accounting in an economics degree would you get the same recognition as from accounting within a commerce degree? I was told that you wouldn't be recognised (USyd)...
Oh?
Well if ur talking about professional recognition, like CPA/CA, if u do an accounting major in economics, it is recognised, since ur doing the same subjects

johnwoo

Originally posted by Asquithian
excuse me...i know a very nice girl who does bcom/bsciecne
He was joking and yes you probably knew that so congratulations, you know a nice girl.

Commerce/business degrees have always provided good job opportunities, though too many people are doing it now. Theres like 2000 or so commerce students at unsw...

Most people who major in accounting also major in finance. Best way to go if you want to be an accountant.

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Most people i know have told me that accounting is very boring...but i reckon that if i found it pretty ok at school in the business syllabus, it should be fine in uni too..so yeah may be i end up becoming an accountant!

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
how about Bachelors of Business at UTS...whats so different about it?

i mean...it also has majors in accounting, HRM, marketing...etc...

so isnt it the same thing then cuz...like, if i do bachelors of commerce i'd take ACCOUNTING as my major, if i do B,Business at UTS, i'd do accounting as my major again..so its the same!!!

n yeah, UNSW is far away from my place, i think i have to catch a train n then a bus n then walk to UNSW, so yeah I'm thinking if i go to UNSW isnt it going to be a big waste of time...OR is transport a minor factor?

i have to decide between USyd/UTS/UNSW

Last edited:

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
yeah me too, im thinkin USyd/UNSW/UTS, but i want to do marketin
and what is the difference between the unis, i mean how do they determine their UAI cut-off?, isn't it jst the demand of ppl wantin 2 go there, is that a good indication of the uni, cuz most yr 12's wont know which uni is betta jst by lookin at the cut-offs

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
how about Bachelors of Business at UTS...whats so different about it?
n yeah, UNSW is far away from my place, i think i have to catch a train n then a bus n then walk to UNSW, so yeah I'm thinking if i go to UNSW isnt it going to be a big waste of time...OR is transport a minor factor?
A Business degree is usually more general than a commerce degree in that ur required to do more "general" business subjects than in a commerce degree, but really, this isnt significant, they are basically the same, UTS' business degree is more practical too

well transport - i really wouldnt call it a major factor. u get whatever u get to central, and then get a UNSW express bus which takes about 10 mins and it stops at 3 locations around the uni..lower campus, upper campus and the med building, so u dont really have to "walk" to uni in that sense

Originally posted by Suney_J
yeah me too, im thinkin USyd/UNSW/UTS, but i want to do marketin
and what is the difference between the unis, i mean how do they determine their UAI cut-off?, isn't it jst the demand of ppl wantin 2 go there, is that a good indication of the uni, cuz most yr 12's wont know which uni is betta jst by lookin at the cut-offs
The difference - well u have to go to the open days and figure this out. The UAI cutoffs yes, are determined by demand - so its a mistake to assume one uni course is better than another simply because it has a higher cutoff. I'll just also add that UNSW has the widest choice of majors for commerce, of the major uni's

shazabdazla

hey minai, did you say you are doing a major in IBUS?....do you find it interesting? what subjects do you do and do you think it will far widen your career prospects?...........i am doing business/law and have to choose between a major in accounting/IBUS.....but i can't find out how it will affect my legal job prospects....

Thanx in advance........

johnwoo

UTS just calls the degree a bachelor of business instead of commerce. Same shit.

Travel was a big for me cuz I'm a lazy hoe. UTS is convenient though I still think there should be a monorail that picks me up at central. Also the numerous happyhours per week affected my decision. Who needs grass when you have more glass eh?

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
does nebody know ne1, who does markettin, if so how is it?, (lol this thread is crammed wit Q's)

hbk_ace

your all F**k Liars
do you get work experience in firms like PWC if u do Bacholar of Commerce in Sydney and UNSW??

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hbk_ace
do you get work experience in firms like PWC if u do Bacholar of Commerce in Sydney and UNSW??
yeah...i wanna know this as well...
or do we have to arrage ourselves during the summer breaks every year???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)