Anybody did just 10 units and didn't stuff up any of ya subjects/UAI? (1 Viewer)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I only did 10 units last year. I dropped IPT coz I hated it, it really didnt appeal to me, and the scaling is a worry.

All throughout the year I was really worried that I was playing with fire, but in the end I didn't get burnt. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. I had free periods to work on my other subjects, but I also had 3 Major Works to do, so I never had any free time. I was constantly doing work. You need to work hard on all 10 units so u dong stuff up and not have anything to fall back on. You should talk to ur teachers coz they know u best. All my teachers weren't worried about me doing 10 units, but I was worried as hell! lol

I did: gen maths, 4unit eng, drama and ancient and got a UAI of 96.75

nomz

i only did ten units and still got a uai over 90 and i think i would have totally burnt out if i did any more cuz i'm one of those stress - heads, and while the thought of "what if i stuff up one of my subjects" was on my mind constantly, i realised i had more time to focus on the ones i was doing and also if you can

kow_dude

HSC
I did 10 units. I stuffed up 4unit maths as i only answered 49 marks out of 120 in hsc. I was always weak in chemistry and did standard english. My chance of getting 90+ was slim but i still managed to get UAI 95.9

lala2

Banned
HSC
wow kow_dude, what other subjects did you do? you must haev aced them otherwise you cuoldn't have gotetn such a high UAI with the marks you told us.

kow_dude

HSC
I also did biology and got 91 for that. I got band 5 for english so that's top 2%. I have no idea how i got that UAI... must be because of 4unit maths crazy scaling...

grk_styl's UAI is even more surprising having low scaling subjects such as ancient and gen maths... well done !

Last edited:

jang

is not my real name
HSC
my 2cents:

drop ur weakest subjects down to 10 units... otherwise u will have units that havnt counted to ur uai.. and wat a waste of study!
dont do subjects for interest (unless prerequisite) coz u will have time to explore that interest later... for me, i dropped japanese just before year12 half yearlies even tho it was my favourite subject and i visited japan in yr10.
also sometime after the half yearlies i dropped english ext1 - i thought the work for mark value was shat..
look at scaling of the subject using sam modeller or watever.. i've found that good scaling subjects can full help u out.
if u've already started 4u maths but think ur a bit weak... fuck that, just drop somethnig else down to 10 units, that way u will actually TRY in 4u maths...
i seen people do 13 units INCLUDING 4 unit maths, and they didnt spend nearly as much time as necessary on 4u so they lost in the end - wat a waste of bedtime
i got 99+ so i think my theory rocks

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
jang said:
my 2cents:

drop ur weakest subjects down to 10 units... otherwise u will have units that havnt counted to ur uai.. and wat a waste of study!
dont do subjects for interest (unless prerequisite) coz u will have time to explore that interest later... for me, i dropped japanese just before year12 half yearlies even tho it was my favourite subject and i visited japan in yr10.
also sometime after the half yearlies i dropped english ext1 - i thought the work for mark value was shat..
look at scaling of the subject using sam modeller or watever.. i've found that good scaling subjects can full help u out.
if u've already started 4u maths but think ur a bit weak... fuck that, just drop somethnig else down to 10 units, that way u will actually TRY in 4u maths...
i seen people do 13 units INCLUDING 4 unit maths, and they didnt spend nearly as much time as necessary on 4u so they lost in the end - wat a waste of bedtime
i got 99+ so i think my theory rocks
wtf. You should be choosing courses based on interested not based on scaling cause you will do better. Maybe it worked for you, but I guarantee that it won't work for much people. If you do a subject just cause I scales good and you don't enjoy it, you won't study and you certainly won't do well. And uni courses generally don't have prerequisites - they just have assumed knowledge - which if you haven't done the subject at school, you can do a bridging course for.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
If im correct, compared to the last 2 decades Most Uni have elimated Most Prequsite right?, its only assummed knowledge and like cape mention you can take a bridging if u didnt do the course in yr11+12.

A

assman

even better.

do some units earlier say in year 7 - 10 and get them out of the way if ur brainy enough and ur school is lucky enough to facilitate hsc subjects at an earlier level of study in high school. say like sydney boys, ruse, syd girls, north syd i think

sorry im no help to those in year 11 / 12

VQ

HSC
I am taking 14 now...Is it too much? Hasn't felt the burden yet...but soon! I'll get my Chem, Bio, Math ext1 assessment three days in a row! I mean, I am taking ext2 and Bio...Both subjects that may burden u the most...Do u guys think I should drop something???

I really think taking only 10u is actually rather putting urself at a risk...Most of the students in my school take between 11-13...a few takes 14 or 10...Anyway having 11u is an odd number, is it counted at the end if u do not perform well in one of ur 2u?

(4U)(Bio)(Chem)(Phy)(IBS)(ESL)

Target UAI: 96++, 99++ of possible...

CrashOveride

HSC
I did 10 units
got 99+

make sure u choose the right subjects.

risk?
no. just study.

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
The right subjects are the right subjects for you that is. A humanities person should not pick 10 units of science and maths in order to get a high UAI - it'll just backfire.

The key to doing 10 units and being successful is making sure you are dedicated, interested and motivated about what you are doing.

14 units is ridiculous. 12 is all you need if you want a safety net.

With UAI calculation - all 2unit subjects are halved into blocks of 1 unit. If you do badly in a 2unit subject, half of it won't count and the other will (if you're doing 11 units that is)

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I do 12 units: English Advanced, Ext 1 & 2, Drama, Music, Biz, and Modern. I am terrible at music however, getting around 13-14 out of 20 on most assessments. My performance in y11 was abysmal, but my teacher wants me to stay and do the class. If I have 10 units I will have a LOT of free periods, which will help with my major work. Any ideas? I want around 90 for my UAI, looking to do BComm/Journalism or the like..

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
If you're getting those sorts of marks for music and doing better in your other subjects, drop it. Just make sure you work your ass off.

Music 1 is a course that, unless u get above 85ish, tends to scale terribly. If you know a subject is not going to count - don't bother doing it.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i do 13 units.. and the workload isn't too much..

but then again.. i only did average in all my subjects in my first assessment tasks. ( 2u maths i did good ) ..

should i consider dropping maybe 3u maths ? ( i got 60% - > waaaay below average )

D.Larie

I did 10 Units.
In Yr 11 I had 12 units but my Maths was going so bad that the wise choice was to drop it.
I didn't stuff up any of my subjects. Got Band 5/6s for all of them.

Personally, I would rather focus on 10 units and work hard in every one of the subjects (after dropping your absolute worst subject). You get extra free periods etc. If you don't use them and you get a bad UAI, then it's simply your fault for being lazy.

lala2

Banned
HSC
CrashOveride said:
I did 10 units
got 99+

make sure u choose the right subjects.

risk?
no. just study.
CrashOverride, what subjecsts did you do and what marks did you get for them? 99+ with 10 units...you were pretty sure of yourself, well done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)