• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anyone applying for the defence force? (2 Viewers)

*dragon*

HSC
i think im going to try and get into the raaf through direct entry but i'm just gonna work for a year in the real world first. what about everyone else?

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
my friend applied and he's now in the defence force. apparently, you have to go through sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many interviews and so many tests!!

*dragon*

HSC
yeah my dads in the airforce. its a pretty intresting lifestyle. i'd love to be a piolet but i'm way scared of the recruitment process.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess a career in the ADF is one of those handful of jobs that's actually interesting (and a health hazard). Besides, who here wants to spend their life serving customers, stacking shelves at Kmart, or sweeping the floor?

It's correct that there are "soooooooooooo"(forgot how many "o"s) many interviews. Let me see, there's 2 interviews with a Defence Recruiter, one with a Nurse, one with a Doctor, and one with a Psychologist, and one über one consisting of a Board. That's for Officer UNSW@ADFA entry. I'm not sure about General "Grunt" Entry, but it'll be similiar.

*dragon*, there's no need to be scared of the recruitment process if you already have a family member in the ADF. Won't your dad be able to provide tips on what to know for the interviews, medical examinations, pay rates, superannuation, leave benefits, allowances, training, standard components of an average day at training, RAAF posting locations within Australia and the regiments that operate in those localities, current national operations/exercises, current oversea operations, the names of major terrorist organisations, what vehicles/aircraft are currently used in the ADF, all key Defence personel, Discipline Act and military law, endorsed programs, definition of "leadership" and "management" and their difference, and a robust butt-kissing reason for why you want to apply for the Defence Force (i.e. obligation to serve my country in times of hostility, as well as selfish reasons to develop myself and reap the free medical benefits and no fees).

That's not too daunting, is it?

Last edited:

*dragon*

HSC
Komaticom said:
I guess a career in the ADF is one of those handful of jobs that's actually interesting (and a health hazard). Besides, who here wants to spend their life serving customers, stacking shelves at Kmart, or sweeping the floor?

It's correct that there are "soooooooooooo"(forgot how many "o"s) many interviews. Let me see, there's 2 interviews with a Defence Recruiter, one with a Nurse, one with a Doctor, and one with a Psychologist, and one über one consisting of a Board. That's for Officer UNSW@ADFA entry. I'm not sure about General "Grunt" Entry, but it'll be similiar.

*dragon*, there's no need to be scared of the recruitment process if you already have a family member in the ADF. Won't your dad be able to provide tips on what to know for the interviews, medical examinations, pay rates, superannuation, leave benefits, allowances, training, standard components of an average day at training, RAAF posting locations within Australia and the regiments that operate in those localities, current national operations/exercises, current oversea operations, the names of major terrorist organisations, what vehicles/aircraft are currently used in the ADF, all key Defence personel, Discipline Act and military law, endorsed programs, definition of "leadership" and "management" and their difference, and a robust butt-kissing reason for why you want to apply for the Defence Force (i.e. obligation to serve my country in times of hostility, as well as selfish reasons to develop myself and reap the free medical benefits and no fees).

That's not too daunting, is it?
hahaha oh no way! yeah i know halff of it i have been posted a few times. sept i want to be a piolet and that process is even scarrier again. sept i have spoken to so many piolets and they say just go for it... so yeah i will one day. i wanna go direct entry cause adfa means another 4 yrs b4 u get to fly. by the way who u calling "grunt" thats only in the army!

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think "grunt" is the non-technical term for a foot soldier. I don't think pilots are "grunts".

Yeah go for the pilot career, you can't be too tall or too fat otherwise you won't fit in the cockpit. They check your dimensions during your medical. Recruiters are always eager (and usually more lenient) to recruit spouses of serving personel.
Pilots need to undergo extra medical testing, like a mouth/nose noise and opthalmologist (eye doctor) appointment.

By the way, you will need to know about service allowances and benefits and all that stuff but you get sent a nifty summary booklet with most of the info you will need. Other stuff like the Discipline Act you'll have to research yourself, which shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Last edited:

Jake_434

The King of England
HSC
I'm already in the Army. Well the Army Reserves, but it's the same thing for all intents and purposes. The recruitment procedure is a piece of piss. It took me 2 full days-but most of that time is spent sitting on your arse.

Any questons you have-call 131901, or ask me, I'm happy to help. Personally I think the 131901 bunch were ok, but lots of people have problems with them not knowing specifically what they are on about.

I went in as a Combat Engineer, so I didn't have the interview with four interviewers at once or whatever it is, but the way my day went (as far as I can remember) was like this- got there-Health Services Australia. Did tests went home. Passed that stage. Went and did a Pre-entry Fitness Assessment. This is just a few push-ups, sit-ups, and a beep test. Went back to HSA and got sworn in.

The "extensive testing" isn't so bad. It consists of:

*An aptitude test (if one applies to the job you're applying for).

*A physical to make sure you're in working order. As long as there's nothing too wrong
with you, you'll pass this. It's not invasive or anything, so don't worry about that either.

*Then there's an interveiwer with a pyschologist. You have to fill out a questionairre too, but it's really stoopid with stuff like "do you ever feel like jumping off buildings", "do you ever feel like you're being followed at night", "do you feel the need to kill someone" etc. After the questionairre, you go and speak to the psychologist who will ask you things like "how do you feel about having females as your boss", "would you kill someone if you had to" blah blah blah. Very common sense kinda thing. Just try not to be smart.

*An interview with a Defence member. They ask you questions about the job, and assess how they think you will go on Initial Recruit Training. They have the final say on whether you get in or not, so if they don't think you will get through Kapooka/Edinbourouh/Where-ever-the-Navy-goes, they won't recomend you. (read komaticom's 1st post for more information on what might be asked here)

The fitness side is really easy. I can't remember the exact numbers, but for a male applying for the Army it's something like 45 sit-ups 7.5 on the beep test and 20 or so push-ups.

Kapooka is difficult, but as long as you keep in mind that it does end, you'll get through fine. Don't turn on your course mates, because that's what the CPL's want. And always be first to do everything. Take the initiative. And smile no matter what. It'll piss your CPL's off to no end, but no matter how hard they try to make your life hell-smile. You don't have to smile when they walk out the door, just to their faces. Unless you're doing drill. Then just don't look fatigued.

Keep in mind, this is just off the top of my head. Have fun. And it's not the end of the world if they tell you to come back in 12 months with more life experience.

PS-Grunt=Infantry
Everyone who wears glasses needs an opthomolgist report.
You don't need to know too much of the Defence Force Discipline Act (DFDA). Just that everything you do can get you sent to military gaol.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Jake_434 said:
I can't remember the exact numbers, but for a male applying for the Army it's something like 45 sit-ups 7.5 on the beep test and 20 or so push-ups.
It's 15 push ups. The Beep Test level of 7.5 is equvalent to 1.12km in 6 minutes. Damn Beep Test, waste so much momentum and energy turning around every 20 metres.

Jake_434 said:
You don't need to know too much of the Defence Force Discipline Act (DFDA). Just that everything you do can get you sent to military gaol.
Strangely enough, bigamy is up there with treason, rape, and murder. Bigamy's that serious? Wow...

Last edited:

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If grunts are infantrymen, then what are officers called?

Jake_434

The King of England
HSC
Officers are more comonly known as dickheads.... Nah just kidding... Well some of 'em will jerk you around for no reason, but the ones who are good, are good. And funnily enough-not dickheads.

And about the beep test, if you really want to push it, it's only 1120 metres for level 7.5 and it's done in 6:30. But that's just for Army. Navy and Air Force complete level 6.5 at 920 meters in 5:40.

And yes. Everything is serious in the Defence world. Especially at your Recruit training. I'm not going to lie to you and say it's easy, and you'll fly through it. Because you probably wont. You might if you get on a cosy course with friendly CPLs etc, but it is a bit of a slug. One of my mates down there got sent to Military Gaol for eyeballing. The CPL wanted him there for 6 months. 6 months for eyeballing.

Komaticom: If you have enough time to sit down and read the DFDA I aplaud you. You really must have quite a bit of free time.

Deathlessone: The medical has a few parts. First you'll fill out a questionaire about your own medical history, and your family history, then you'll see a nurse who'll check your blood pressure, BMI, color perception, heart rate, and do a hearing test. Next you see the nurse who will check you out more thoroughly. The doctor will check your heart again, get you to do a few push-ups, sit-ups, do a duck walk, turn your head and cough, check for any abnormalities, ask about your questionaire and get you to pee in a cup. (I might've missed something, but I don't think so). It's nothing too complex, but basically if you're flat footed, have asthma, epilleptic, on medication of any kind, heart condition or any other glaring health issue, you wont get in.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In the Medical Examination they get you to hop on each leg.

The also check for "ingrown hairs" (not sure about the right term) in your ass. No probing.

Jake_434, I did have too much free time, but not anymore. In a week I'll be flying to Canberra for my Officer Selection Board interview/interrogation and my dreaded Fitness Test. Fargh. I had to shorten my trip because of my Year 12 Formal the next day. Argh.

Last edited:

django_

HSC
ahhh all that was so mcuh to read!!

my brother went direct entry into RAAF, after he finished the HSC...wasn even 18 yet so had to get my folks permission n shit...he was put into flight screening for 2weeks as newcastle...i think thats where it was n yeh...he was lucky cuz his UAI was only 75, but when he went for the interview they realised her knew everything about it n stuff so yeh...he got in and went to melbourn n did the officers course. thats the way to go apparently, by the time he was 18 was already an officer n was in charge of people like 30 lol but yeh funny shit...

he wanted to be a pilot...but got glandular fever n shit so was backcoursed..then transferred to the Army to become a helicopter pilot...hes now a 2ndLT, earns like 55K a year and hes only 19.

the defence force is the way to go..u get paid while ur training n heapsa good benefits, as youd already know so yeh :)

ps - yeh jake_34 also if u have braces u have to get them off beofre u get in...cant have any outstanding medical problems like that.

Last edited:

Jake_434

The King of England
HSC
Well that's a bit of an iffy point. One guy in my unit has(had) braces. Go figure.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Braces are considered a temporary disability, so it shouldn't be problem. I don't think they test how well you sink your teeth into an enemy's hand.

Jake_434, about the first ever Fitness Test (15 pushups, 45 sit ups, Beep Test 7.5), do they care if you exceed the mininum requirements? Does doing 30 push ups, 15 in excess of the requirement, make you more likely to be enrolled? Officer positions are very competitive and I was wondering how to get on top of the competition in the Fitness Test.

Also, does the examiner demand that you make your chin touch the floor when doing the 15 push ups?

I need a above-average definition of "leadership".

Last edited:

django_

HSC
maybe he got braces one he was in there?

all i know is my brother had to get them taken off before he could join, otherwise they wouldnt accept him.

Jake_434

The King of England
HSC
Nup. The braces were there for years.

With the fitness test, generally they will stop you as soon as you reach the required standard. I think it's got something to do with insurance- They aren't covered for anything except this test excercise-wise and if you hurt yourself, they are fucked (After exceeding the minimum required).

Here's a text book definition of a "PFA Push-up"
"The correct push-up technique is as follows:
1. To start, your toes should be on the ground, feet together or shoulder width apart and palms flat down. Your back should be straight and you can either look forward or down. Your arms should be in the lock position.
2. To reach the don position, keep your body straight then bend your arms to a 90 degree andle from shoulder to elbow. After this has been achieved, push your body back to the full arm lock position. This is one push-up
3. You can rest in either the full arm lock position or the 90 degree position."
So in answer to your question; no. Your chin does not have to touch the ground.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Why would you want to become an American citizen? The main idea behind join your defence forces to to protect and serve your country. Not some wankers on the other side of the world.

Also, British SAS are the most elite in the world, ahead of SEALS. SEALS are good, as are Delta Force, etc, but British SAS are the best of the best, and like Komaticom said, Australian Commandos are up there as well, mainly because we follow very similar training as the Brits.

Also, I had a mate who was in the Army, as an infantary soldier, and while he said it was the best job in the world -- as in, the actual job and training -- the fact that you loose your autonomy makes you think twice. The ADF regulates every asspect of your life, which is a very big negative when deciding if this is what you want with your life.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought the Brits adopted Australian Commando/SAS training methods to train their own SAS.

Any job nowadays is dangerous (due to potential terrorist attacks). In that regard, it's safer in the DF because you know that you have the skill and the weapons to fight back, and that everyone around you is also combat-efficient, even your CO's sexy accountant. That's immeasurably better than being caught in a suicide-bombed CBD with civilians running around screaming and being of no use what-so-ever.

I've got my Officer Selection Board tomorrow and Tuesday. Free ride to the airport! W00t!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)