• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anyone applying for the defence force? (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'm not sure, one country adopted the others training methods, I always assumed we got ours from the Brits, but you're probably right ;)

Either way, the Brits are considered more so elite than Australians, I think. Not much so, but I'm pretty sure they are, just that little bit better - possibly. LOL.

Both are better than the SEALS though, LOL ;)

Of course the DF are dangerous, so's being a cop or an ambo, a nurse or a customs officer. Some are more dangerous than others, ie the DF are right at the top, but the main difference is the DF go into the mist of battle, those little office people are all comofy and that battle goes to them. But I certainly agree, I'd prefer to be prepared and have those around me prepared as well.

Good luck with your officer selection board interview!!!! You get to fly in a dogey Dash 8 though........ LOL. You spend about 5 minutes at high altitude before the light comes back on that the plane is begining decent ;)

Anyway mate, good luck!

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks!
Argh, can't rep you again.

It was Aussie Special Forces, not British SAS, that went to Iraq to nibble at the root of the shaky Saddam tree. The Aussies did a perfect of it too. I read on the paper that one soldier shot out a mortar tube with his rifle.

The Brits let bin Laden escape in some unpronoucible region in Afghanistan, a year ago. Brits won't fare very well in the Middle East heat.

EDIT: By the way, I failed my OSB. I wasn't aggressive enough in pushing my (effective and correct) ideas during teamwork exercises and lacked the ability to tell bullshit "note that I talk alot" team-mates to stow it. I didn't know that was a feature of leadership until they failed me. I'm eligible to reapply in 12 months.

Last edited:

Jake_434

The King of England
HSC
The Australians kind of borrowed the name of the SAS thing you're talking about. UK- Special Air Service (SAS). Australian- Special Air Service Regiment (SASR). But both regions Comandoe forces are not restricted to this groups. Just an example we have 4RAR.

Aussies are better. No question about it. Sure the English are good, but we're still better. No-one adopted anyones training methods, if by that I mean it makes sense to train to get the best result. But we still have very different training in whatever area (be it airman, soldier, seamen, officers etc) you are talking about.

Too bad about failing. Better luck next time.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Australia stole the SAS name off the Brits, clearly.

Labelling Commando training in Australia as harsh and brutal is an understatement.
Instructors drag a random individual out of bed early in the morning and dump him nude into a bathtub of icecubes. Every half an hour or so an electric current is passed through the water, probably to keep him awake. After a few hours instructors pull the guy out of the water. If you die from hypothermia during/after the ordeal, you're not tough enough to be a Commando. It's training methods like this that the British adopt in an attempt to match the better, rock-hard, Aussie Commandos.

Teamwork affects whether individuals will pass the OSB or not. Unfortunately, my group of 8 had people from the extremities of the personality spectrum. Those who shouted out their ideas and were hellbent they were right failed the panel interview (unequal treatment of team-mates, selfishness). Those who got silenced by the selfish ones failed too (didn't contribute enough, didn't fight for their ideas). No wonder only half of my group passed. Meh, that's life. Try again in a year's time, and nail it.

Hopefully I can keep the OSB debriefing report (due in 2 weeks) as a Defence Force reference for civilian, low-intellect jobs like working at Hoyts.

Cheers.

Last edited:

piotrek

HSC
Jake_434 said:
I'm already in the Army. Well the Army Reserves, but it's the same thing for all intents and purposes. The recruitment procedure is a piece of piss. It took me 2 full days-but most of that time is spent sitting on your arse.

Any questons you have-call 131901, or ask me, I'm happy to help. Personally I think the 131901 bunch were ok, but lots of people have problems with them not knowing specifically what they are on about.

I went in as a Combat Engineer, so I didn't have the interview with four interviewers at once or whatever it is, but the way my day went (as far as I can remember) was like this- got there-Health Services Australia. Did tests went home. Passed that stage. Went and did a Pre-entry Fitness Assessment. This is just a few push-ups, sit-ups, and a beep test. Went back to HSA and got sworn in.

The "extensive testing" isn't so bad. It consists of:

*An aptitude test (if one applies to the job you're applying for).

*A physical to make sure you're in working order. As long as there's nothing too wrong
with you, you'll pass this. It's not invasive or anything, so don't worry about that either.

*Then there's an interveiwer with a pyschologist. You have to fill out a questionairre too, but it's really stoopid with stuff like "do you ever feel like jumping off buildings", "do you ever feel like you're being followed at night", "do you feel the need to kill someone" etc. After the questionairre, you go and speak to the psychologist who will ask you things like "how do you feel about having females as your boss", "would you kill someone if you had to" blah blah blah. Very common sense kinda thing. Just try not to be smart.

*An interview with a Defence member. They ask you questions about the job, and assess how they think you will go on Initial Recruit Training. They have the final say on whether you get in or not, so if they don't think you will get through Kapooka/Edinbourouh/Where-ever-the-Navy-goes, they won't recomend you. (read komaticom's 1st post for more information on what might be asked here)

The fitness side is really easy. I can't remember the exact numbers, but for a male applying for the Army it's something like 45 sit-ups 7.5 on the beep test and 20 or so push-ups.

Kapooka is difficult, but as long as you keep in mind that it does end, you'll get through fine. Don't turn on your course mates, because that's what the CPL's want. And always be first to do everything. Take the initiative. And smile no matter what. It'll piss your CPL's off to no end, but no matter how hard they try to make your life hell-smile. You don't have to smile when they walk out the door, just to their faces. Unless you're doing drill. Then just don't look fatigued.

Keep in mind, this is just off the top of my head. Have fun. And it's not the end of the world if they tell you to come back in 12 months with more life experience.

PS-Grunt=Infantry
Everyone who wears glasses needs an opthomolgist report.
You don't need to know too much of the Defence Force Discipline Act (DFDA). Just that everything you do can get you sent to military gaol.
what kind of questions do they ask in the Aptitude Test????
i'm scared of that , going soon , can anybody help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)