anyone do B Health science/M vision science?? (1 Viewer)

ugly14

G0Ldën MëMbër
HSC
hey...im really interested in doing this course...if anyone here does it ..can u please give me a little overview of ur study and the kind of things u would do when u graduate??? also is there a lot of demand for graduates??

any info would be appreciated..thanx in advance!

dora_18

HSC
It's the same as the B.Health science degree, except you have an immedaite masters...so you might get paid more :p
I posted a lot about this degree in another thread under 'science and medicine"for USYD ..so check it out-it'll answer a lot of your questions. ( although im not sure if its still there ...)

Last edited:
P

psychokitten

i have a question. not that its a big deal, but I heard that this course was now going to be taught at the camperdown campus.. is this true?

nik_noodle

HSC
Hey There,
No that's just a rumour. I've recently scored a job as an ambassador of the FHS and have had heaps of training regarding these new degrees and they're all on cumbo.

Basically, just like Dora said, it's a health science degree but you also take masters level subjects in your chosen field. You have to maintain a credit average or else you are dropped from the Masters program, but then you've still got a BHS to fall back on.

PS: nobody on the forums can currently study this course as it is new for 2007.

Last edited:

ugly14

G0Ldën MëMbër
HSC
hi *nik_noodle* :wave:
do you know if its hard to maintain a credit average? and do we have to maintain a credit average throughout the course? the whole 4yrs?
and is the course (vision science) the same as the former orthoptics course?

nik_noodle

HSC
I'm pretty sure that you have to maintain the credit average for the 4 years. Which is marks of 65% and above.

I don't do orthoptics so I cannot say whether it is going to be hard for you to maintain a credit average because I don't know how hard you will find the content of the course.
Essentially it's the same course as the Orthoptics except that you graduate with 2 degrees and you will be studying it at a Masters level, which will probably be more demanding. But, it's a higher qualification, so it has its benefits.

You probably know all this already, but if you want to email the campus with any questions (they're probably more qualified then me to answer, I don't wanna lead you in the wrong direction.) Use this link http://www.fhs.usyd.edu.au/future_students/emailenquiryform.shtml

And you've probably seen this too, but: http://www.fhs.usyd.edu.au/future_students/undergrad/new_progs/bhs_clinical_vision.shtml

If you're keen, but not completely sure, come to the Information Day on Jan 3rd. I'll be there and so will all the other ambassadors and my superiors who will DEFINETLY be able to give you any more info you want. I also have a friend who's in the current orthoptics program, if I see her, I'll ask her about the workload in the undergrad course for you. And she's an ambassador too, so she'd talk to you.

Last edited:

Chris.

HSC
Im not sure if doing orthoptics or vision science has many career opportunities. Wouldnt all those who complete bachelor of optometry learn all of the courses orthoptics and vision science do? Optometry courses teach further into things then vision science or orthoptics.
Could be wrong about all of this though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)