Anyone do Computer Science? (1 Viewer)

jskeza

HSC
N/A
Does anyone do straight computer science? Since it is a 3 year degree do I have to double degree it for jobs (because I am going to be competing with people who have double degrees). Apparently a 3 year degree is less employable for some companies, is this true? Thanks

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone do straight computer science? Since it is a 3 year degree do I have to double degree it for jobs (because I am going to be competing with people who have double degrees). Apparently a 3 year degree is less employable for some companies, is this true? Thanks
No?
It's fine to do just Computer Science. Where are you getting this wrong information? Employers don't care. Some cases for e.g such as if the employer wants someone who knows some finance along with computer science, may require someone with a double degree combined with commerce maybe.

But your not at a disadvantage for the straight CS path just because you haven't done a double degree

jskeza

HSC
N/A
No?
It's fine to do just Computer Science. Where are you getting this wrong information? Employers don't care. Some cases for e.g such as if the employer wants someone who knows some finance along with computer science, may require someone with a double degree combined with commerce maybe.

But your not at a disadvantage for the straight CS path just because you haven't done a double degree
I read somewhere (can't remember where, was some forum) that companies like Google don't hire people with 3 year degrees.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Double degree won't really help unless it's in something directly related to a job you are applying for. Even then, that would just be a benefit to someone in that position as opposed to a negative for someone not having that experience.

It's hard to find good software developers, data scientists etc. and there's a lot of competition for top talent, I don't think you would be disadvantaged by the 3 year degree at all.

The only caveat that i'm aware of is if you are planning on doing postgrad study overseas. Most masters programs in the US expect 4 year undergraduate degrees (e.g. undergrad + honours in Australia). I haven't heard of employers expecting the same, and doubt they would care if you already have work experience.

jskeza

HSC
N/A
Double degree won't really help unless it's in something directly related to a job you are applying for. Even then, that would just be a benefit to someone in that position as opposed to a negative for someone not having that experience.

It's hard to find good software developers, data scientists etc. and there's a lot of competition for top talent, I don't think you would be disadvantaged by the 3 year degree at all.

The only caveat that i'm aware of is if you are planning on doing postgrad study overseas. Most masters programs in the US expect 4 year undergraduate degrees (e.g. undergrad + honours in Australia). I haven't heard of employers expecting the same, and doubt they would care if you already have work experience.
Ok thanks for the info, not really going to study overseas just want a job after that is it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ok thanks for the info, not really going to study overseas just want a job after that is it.
Should be fine then, if you want to distinguish yourself from other students then just get involved in extra curricular stuff relevant to your goals and if you want to do something more research oriented or join a top company consider doing honours.

I read somewhere (can't remember where, was some forum) that companies like Google don't hire people with 3 year degrees.
I know people that got offers or jobs from Google, Microsoft and Atlassian straight out of 3 year degrees, that was a few years ago however so I have no idea if it's changed recently -- I doubt it though.

jskeza

HSC
N/A
Should be fine then, if you want to distinguish yourself from other students then just get involved in extra curricular stuff relevant to your goals and if you want to do something more research oriented or join a top company consider doing honours.

I know people that got offers or jobs from Google, Microsoft and Atlassian straight out of 3 year degrees, that was a few years ago however so I have no idea if it's changed recently -- I doubt it though.
You can choose to do a honours after you start the degree right?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You can choose to do a honours after you start the degree right?
I don't know how it works at every university/course, but generally you would get invited to study honours if you meet some minimum grade (nothing too high).

It's a bit non standard, but you can even do honours at a different university to where you completed your undergraduate degree or sometime after graduating.

jskeza

HSC
N/A
Alright! Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll be doing a straight computer science degree.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Also this is a special case. Google is literally the top company and goal of most tech experts. Of course top companies like them want some 'flair' in their employees. You gotta have some real good experience and talent to land a career there. However if you want a good job here in Australia you can get a nice comfortable 6 figure salary after some years experience in the field. It's totally fine to do just CS.

jskeza

HSC
N/A
One more question, do I have to do advanced or normal science. Not sure about the difference

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
One more question, do I have to do advanced or normal science. Not sure about the difference
Normal Science. At least at UNSW the course for computer science is Bachelor of Science(Computer Science). There's no 'Advanced Science' for Computer Science

jskeza

HSC
N/A
I just watched a Google coding test on youtube and my reaction was 😱🤯, it looks so hard especially because it was for Google. Do most companies ask this when hiring?

Balajanovski

HSC
I just watched a Google coding test on youtube and my reaction was 😱🤯, it looks so hard especially because it was for Google. Do most companies ask this when hiring?
Yes. I've practised for these kinds of interviews myself. Best thing to do is to practise writing out algorithms to unseen questions on paper. Its a skill, like everything else.

jskeza

HSC
N/A
Yes. I've practised for these kinds of interviews myself. Best thing to do is to practise writing out algorithms to unseen questions on paper. Its a skill, like everything else.
I don't even know how to code yet..................

jskeza

HSC
N/A
How did you learn to code, through YouTube and stuff?
I tried but for most YouTube videos they just tell you what to type, and I don't understand what the code is doing.

Balajanovski

HSC
How did you learn to code, through YouTube and stuff?
I tried but for most YouTube videos they just tell you what to type, and I don't understand what the code is doing.
I learned to code by reading books and then writing programs to apply my knowledge.
The book depends on what language you want to start out learning. I started with C, so I read "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kerninghan and Dennis Ritchie. However, Python is generally the more popular choice for beginners (however I can't recommend a book for it).

I would NOT recommend learning to code through youtube. Programming youtubers generally leave out a lot of fundamentals.

jskeza

HSC
N/A
I learned to code by reading books and then writing programs to apply my knowledge.
The book depends on what language you want to start out learning. I started with C, so I read "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kerninghan and Dennis Ritchie. However, Python is generally the more popular choice for beginners (however I can't recommend a book for it).

I would NOT recommend learning to code through youtube. Programming youtubers generally leave out a lot of fundamentals.
Do you think it is a bad idea to go into computer science without programming knowledge?

Balajanovski

HSC
Do you think it is a bad idea to go into computer science without programming knowledge?
Most people go into computer science not knowing how to code.
Its actually the rarer exception that people do learn to code prior.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)