Anyone do Extension English? (1 Viewer)

E

Empyrean444

We did the topic area "heroism", but it was really an analysis/challenge of the concept of war heroism being unchallengeable or the only type of heroism (ie other people are heroes to0)

The texts we did were:
The Red Badge of Courage, by Crane [load of crap]
All Quiet on the Western Front, by Remarque [sublime, brilliant, superb!!]

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
Hmm, we did Utopia.

Texts studied were Sir Thomas More's Utopia, Gattaca (the film) and 1984 (the novel). But we also studied a few other supplementary texts that weren't in the course but just to give context

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Devouree said:
Hmm, we did Utopia.

Texts studied were Sir Thomas More's Utopia, Gattaca (the film) and 1984 (the novel). But we also studied a few other supplementary texts that weren't in the course but just to give context
1984 was an optional supp text for us in Year 10 - heard it's a really good book :p

isaiahmercado

HSC
we did Fairy Tales and myths for terms 1 and 2 then term 3 we studied the picaresque novel, pretty kool stuff

lanigoodness

HSC
We did "defying the divine": marlowe's faustus, edward scissorhands, the concepts of paradise lost and sympathy for the devil (rolling stones).

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lanigoodness said:
We did "defying the divine": marlowe's faustus, edward scissorhands, the concepts of paradise lost and sympathy for the devil (rolling stones).
That topic be a bit controversial -especially if you had some religious people in your class?

Doctor Jolly said:
Gothic Fiction. Yuck.
LOL - Gothic still beats the Nature of Evil :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I will probably do Extension English next year if I make the cut. :)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
LOL - Gothic still beats the Nature of Evil :p
Oh yeah, anything beats that thing! I think I'd drop it if I had to do Nature of Evil, but then again, I'd drop EX1 regardless of what we're doing.

:eek: My EX1 gave me Holiday Homework and she's expecting us to do it (even if we're dropping it!)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Oh yeah, anything beats that thing! I think I'd drop it if I had to do Nature of Evil, but then again, I'd drop EX1 regardless of what we're doing.

:eek: My EX1 gave me Holiday Homework and she's expecting us to do it (even if we're dropping it!)
Nature of Evil is evil... Heart of Darkness - I mean talk a bout a depressing book

LOL - your teacher's evil - I should've studied her in Extension English :p

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Nature of Evil is evil... Heart of Darkness - I mean talk a bout a depressing book

LOL - your teacher's evil - I should've studied her in Extension English :p
HAHA! She lurks on these forums, did you know that?

Well in truth, she's a very nice teacher - it's just that she gives us too much work ;)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
HAHA! She lurks on these forums, did you know that?

Well in truth, she's a very nice teacher - it's just that she gives us too much work ;)
LOL - well Yvonne told me that she LOVES english (incase she's reading) :p

Ahh yes - I got a lot of work for Extension when I did it - we had like 6 pages to do on the Heart of Darkness - I cbb doing it so I dropped.

Freckles14

HSC
We did "The Alien Self"... Stoker's Dracula, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Values of each, different readings etc etc. And emphasis on gothic literature, subversions embodied in the texts etc etc. And values of each.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
don't worry we've been given ext homework for the holidays aswell (which is freaky cause we never do any work in class with our teacher, really we have done only one bit of work with him all yeah in class and now he has given us homework "define gender in 800-1000 words stating examples and beliefs of gender" + find 4 ORM that relates to the concept of gender in language. FM that sucks but oh well.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:

Ahh yes - I got a lot of work for Extension when I did it - we had like 6 pages to do on the Heart of Darkness - I cbb doing it so I dropped.
Oh noes, my identity is revealed! :santa:

6 pages? That's nothing compared to what she gives us!! Like, extended responses every week, critical readings that are like 20 pages long .. the list goes on!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Oh noes, my identity is revealed! :santa:

6 pages? That's nothing compared to what she gives us!! Like, extended responses every week, critical readings that are like 20 pages long .. the list goes on!
LOL - well lets put this into perspective.
I'm a lot lasier than you are, so 6 pages to me is like 21 pages to you. So I still end up with a lot more work :p

5233andy

HSC
the-derivative said:

LOL is that why you dropped it? She did check it - but most of the class only did the first two pages done - they got away with it. I still reckon that the nature of evil is still a fantastic topic to study. Conrad's novel, "Heart of Darkness", is almost a revelation of the nature of humans and how perhaps despite the advancement of society, humans have changed little. Initially, I was shocked at how awful the book is - it's particularly long-winded. However, after analysing it, it's a very clever novel and somewhat interesting.

I'd say that the best prescribed text for the Nature of Evil that I've studied would be TS Eliot's poem, "The Hollow Men" - isn't there an ABC1 program entitled this?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
5233andy said:
LOL is that why you dropped it? She did check it - but most of the class only did the first two pages done - they got away with it. I still reckon that the nature of evil is still a fantastic topic to study. Conrad's novel, "Heart of Darkness", is almost a revelation of the nature of humans and how perhaps despite the advancement of society, humans have changed little. Initially, I was shocked at how awful the book is - it's particularly long-winded. However, after analysing it, it's a very clever novel and somewhat interesting.

I'd say that the best prescribed text for the Nature of Evil that I've studied would be TS Eliot's poem, "The Hollow Men" - isn't there an ABC1 program entitled this?
Basically. That just reflects my commitment levels to English :p

5233andy

HSC
the-derivative said:
Basically. That just reflects my commitment levels to English :p
lol well you did so at a good time. Since the comprehension sheets, we've been assigned writing tasks to aid us for the future - yum!

I certainly do hope that my EE1 exam results qualify me to do EE2.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
This year we studied superheroes in terms of context and all that stuff and then watched batman begins.
Second term we looked at Emma and Clueless
Last term we did a genre study and then wrote a creative peice within that genre (or we could have done an author study)

Extension English and PDHPE are definately my favourite subjects.
I really want to do Extension 2 next year but I still havent decided.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)