Anyone do or want to do journalism? (1 Viewer)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Thanks! to both braindrained Ash and Agronaut...u've confirmed what I've heard about journalism.

Do either of you know anyone doing Journo/Law though?
That would be worse than plain journalism....as both industries are rather competitive...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah some of my friends at uni are in journo/law.... it opens up other career options besides just journalism and/or law because you can work in media companies in legal consultancy, write stories for legal publications etc. It is a very useful double degree... law knowledge is really useful for journalism, and a good knowledge of the media can also be great for law so it is very complimentary.

S

Shuter

Annegelic said:
You obviously don't know much people.
My area is pretty far from usyd, unsw, uts, mac etc. travelling would be a bitch.
What is your area? UTS is not hard to get to from almost anwhere seeing as it's right at central station.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Basically, UTS and CSU are the best for journo. It depends on where you live, where you wanna live, and what marks you get as to which one you should go to. They are both very different unis, one being city and one being country, but they both have excellent industry links and repuations.
man.. i've wanted to be a journalist since year 3 and not going to CSU or UTS seems like such a disadvantage for me now, but i truly didn't know they were the best unis for it til now.. =/

Shuter said:
What is your area? UTS is not hard to get to from almost anwhere seeing as it's right at central station.
it's not hard, it would be long. train takes at least an hour. would have to wake up a couple hours earlier to catch the bus and then the train, and i value my sleep. no thanks.

Acid

HSC
Annegelic said:
man.. i've wanted to be a journalist since year 3 and not going to CSU or UTS seems like such a disadvantage for me now, but i truly didn't know they were the best unis for it til now.. =/
Seriously - it won't matter what Uni you went to for a job in journalism. For other careers it's more important, but for journalism there are a lot of other qualities an employer looks at as opposed to where you obtained your degree. Also, before you get any type of job you'll have to submit samples of your work and that's the main basis they use for judging whether or not they hire you.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Annegelic said:
it's not hard, it would be long. train takes at least an hour. would have to wake up a couple hours earlier to catch the bus and then the train, and i value my sleep. no thanks.
For what it's worth, an hour on the train isn't that bad and you get used it... I think that shuter's point is that if he can be on a train for so long (Springwood to Central, I believe), then your own travel time could easily be endured. Of course, if an hour for you is too long, then it's too long.

S

Shuter

Generator said:
For what it's worth, an hour on the train isn't that bad and you get used it... I think that shuter's point is that if he can be on a train for so long (Springwood to Central, I believe), then your own travel time could easily be endured. Of course, if an hour for you is too long, then it's too long.
Yes, now quit stalking me :p.

But also, I know someone who lives another half hour up the mountain who goes to UTS, and also, someone who lives even further who goes to UNSW, that's over 2 hours each way.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
Yes, and I know people from my area who go to UNSW, Mac and USyd who absolutely hate the travelling they do. But they endure it cos.... they're geeks ? eh I don't know, but I wouldn't want to. I really value my sleep, I get so little of it these days.

S

Shuter

Annegelic said:
But they endure it cos.... they're geeks ? eh I don't know, but I wouldn't want to. I really value my sleep, I get so little of it these days.
That's the UWS spirit!

*runs*

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Haha Shuter!

I went to Wollongong to begin with --> 90 minutes each way, you can sleep on the train mate ;)

As for Moving away from home, I pay for everything myself and expect nothing for my parents. It's not too hard being self sufficent you know ;)
The social life is worth living on Pasta and rice :p

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
Annegelic said:
I didn't know CSU and UTS were best for journo.. they're both too far for me >.<
Yeh... CSU is one of the top uni's in Australia to do journo. Andrew Dention & Jessica Rowe did their Journo degrees there as well as good family friend and well known Journo John Lloyd-Green, who graduated with honnors at CSU.
I appiled to do journo at CSU but didn't get in, it's real tough so apply for as many uni's that offer journo as you can.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
My mate did a B Comm at UTS and is doing quite well for herself. Editor of some kids mag.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
UTS Journo grads go far..... UTS students got 4 of the 7 Fairfax cadetships that are offered in Australia last year (known as being one of the best ways to get in to journo, fairfax cadetships are gold and so hard to get).

Funnily enough it would probably be so much cheaper for you to move to Bathurst..... rent and life in general is so much cheaper in rural areas than in the Sydney CBD!!!!! Bathurst also has a campus life which UTS kind of lacks.

But UTS makes up for that in other areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)