Anyone doing BCom and/or BCompEng? (1 Viewer)

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
hey

I'm looking at perhaps doing a double degree in Bach Commerce and Bach Engineering (Computer).

1) The double degree always seems to be listed as "BCom/BEng" on the website, is the Engineering part a general degree or can you choose specific areas of interest (such as Computer Engineering)?

2) Anyone doing either or both of these courses?

3) What do you think of the courses?

4) What's the faculty, teachers etc like?

cheers

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
1) BEng contains core subjects common to all disciplines of engineering in the first year after that you choose to specialize into which ever field your interested in. It's designed to give you a broad overview of what you're good at/interested in of each type engineering.

2,3,4) I can only comment on the commerce/eco faculty since I'm actually doing an actuary degree / (considering dropping law). The 1st yr units for actuary are the same as those taken for a BComm (except for stat2001) regardless of major. Lectures tend to be rather dry & content is mostly what is written in the text book. You'll find tutes are more valuable in understanding than lectures. Tutor quality varies and in economics a bad tutor can affect your grades quite dramatically.
Lecturers are approachable as with tutors. Generally quite friendly.

ByrnEsy

HSC
There are only two engineering degrees offered at ANU, Bachelor of Engineering and bachelor of Software Engineering. Im not a 'softie' so i can only speak for the engineering degree, softies and engineers do all first year courses together, with the exception of one in 2nd semester where engineers do materials, while softies do an extra computing course. Other than that, everyone starts out doing basic physics, maths, electronics, statics and usually some IT courses, these just set yoiu up for any course you do in 2nd 3rd year(the IT components are usually postponed untill later years for people doing combined degrees, ie BEng/BSci).
Officially engineering at ANU is Systems engineering, so from what i gather we're mostly being set up for a management role once we graduate. You still pick specific areas as majors, ie Mechatronics, electronics, sustainable energy systems, ect. you do two of these in your degree, but everyone comes out at the end with the same degree. Theres no computing major in this degree, most people who wish to lean heavily toward computing do BEng/BIT or just BSEng(software engineering), these two dont have a whole lot of difference as far as im aware, im sure the differences will become apparent next year.
If you are really really looking toward doing computing, id suggest you do BCom/BSEng or BCom/BIT, but remember BEng does have some compolsary computing courses.
maths and physics tutors are realy helpful and approachable as are most lecturers, but ive only ever met 2 computing tutors that are australian and speak proper australian english. and as yet ive never had a tutorial for an engineering course, except Discovering engineering but that doesnt count.

check http://feit.anu.edu.au/Future_Students.php for more info on engineering

HSC
1st year commerce is good. I found the lectures were not overly great but the lecturers, tutors and tutorials in general are great. Tis an awesome degree, and combines well with most degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)