anyone doing Coleridge? (1 Viewer)

zelda

heyz, his full name is Samuel Taylor Coleridge. I rkn its pretty hard to understand at first, but when you analyse it in class with teacher..it all begins to make sense and you get the idea...because its kinda repetitive the style he uses...and theres heaps of similarities and differences between his poems.
We only did like 3 of his poems but didnt get to finish the 4th one coz it was long.
Anyway we did Coleridge as part of our AOS Imaginative journey's.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
on avge., how long r each of his poems, we're doing it next term

zelda

Well Frost at midnight and TLTBMP are pretty much the same length..about 1 3/4, around 70 lines...Kubla Khan is a bit less..1 page and a bit...so around 50 lines?
The longest one is The Rime of the ancient mariner..which is a lot of pages.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yeha im doing coleridge right now but finding myself slightly overwhelmed by the multitude of connections available for use. it can be quite hard to use a one line quote from a 50 page poem (ROTAM), but rather i try to focus on other techniques such as structure/repetition of stanzas.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
PS im also having apparent difficulty fathoming the stupidity of a topic such as imaginative journeys. does this just mean a fictional text? how is kubla kahn a journey? how is frost at midnight imaginative or a journey? please clarify for sanitys sake

Cicciolina

HSC
This is going to be pretty short and not that helpful since I did Coleridge last term and haven't had looked over it since:
Kubla Khan is an imaginative journey because it takes the narrator (Coleridge) and the reader through an imaginative journey. In the first stanza the rhythm is pretty much constant and the imagery used is fairly safe and restrained (I think some quotes are 'bounded', 'limited', etc but not sure). Then in the 2nd stanza it becomes wilder, the flying fragments, demons, etc. Then the last stanza becomes restrained again. The narrator is drawing you into the imaginative journey, first through the order, then through the chaos, then returning to order.

With Frost at Midnight... I'd have to get back to you on that one. Err I'm just thinking that what I said on Kubla Khan made absolutely no sense :S

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
We studied Coleridge in extension english when I was in Yr 11 and I really loved his poems.... I thought they were beautiful. Which ones are the ones set for HSC study now??

I'd try and help but I'm not sure of the whole imaginative journeys paradigm so my help might not be so helpful lol.

beverly

HSC
N/A
even though LTBMP and Frost at midnight are much shorter, i think the Ancient Mariner is much more useful. however, i had studied it in yr 10 in much depth, so when doing it for AOS i found it more of a adding process, not an arduous task

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
i'm doing coleridge as well...we're doing our aos this term though..

nik

we've just finished Coleridge and the imaginative journey!!! i thought the poems were great - very interesting stuff!!! kubla khan was a drug - induced dream (hence the reason why its an imaginative journey). Also, Xanadu is a fictional world - created by the imagination ... if that helps skypryn

Numero Uno

HSC
Originally posted by zelda
Well Frost at midnight and TLTBMP are pretty much the same length..about 1 3/4, around 70 lines...Kubla Khan is a bit less..1 page and a bit...so around 50 lines?
The longest one is The Rime of the ancient mariner..which is a lot of pages.
Bah i did Rime of the Ancient Mariner in year 8
it was so boring ...

KarmaKitten

HSC
Its very descriptive, lots of imagery. lots of references to nature.
I cant stand him really.
I just dont like the romantics period.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
um..yeah thatnks for the help. at least the questions never really ask us to describe anything about how it is an imaginative journey. its always 'what techniques and what do they show" kinda crap.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by skypryn
um..yeah thatnks for the help. at least the questions never really ask us to describe anything about how it is an imaginative journey. its always 'what techniques and what do they show" kinda crap.
that makes no sense to me.
the questions are how the techniques help show its an imaginative journey right?

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by KarmaKitten
that makes no sense to me.
the questions are how the techniques help show its an imaginative journey right?
yeah, like i said

olay

HSC
Frost at midnight has a lot of small imaginative journeys within it. like when he daydreams at school - thats an imaginative journey. ditto his hopes for his lil bubby.. he's *imagining* what he'd like his/her life to turn out like. overall its about the power of the imagination for escape and how its a tool of foresight.

kubla khan, the sunny pleasure dome is a creation and the entire place is a figment of his imagination. So an imaginative journey must have been taken to envision it.

i didn't like any of his poems except for kubla khan [sorta] and yeah. thats about it. :D lots of stuf to write about though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)