Anyone doing Computer Science and Technology (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Hi i got my target UAI to get into this course and i'm quite happy i hope it doesn't rise, but just wondering who ever does this course is it good do you think, difficult? Is it long hours and alot of programming or alot of science stuff?, what maths do you think is needed ? i did mathematics. And also is it true that there's going to be a new building for IT, because that's what i heard from the talk at USYD on the open day this year.

Thanks.

Huy

HSC
N/A
512070 B Computer Sc & Technology 82.00

Is that it?

If so, I might even consider this - just to kick some ass.

Well, yours. :rolleyes:

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
my friend does this course and he told me that he did a bridging course for mathematics extension one, not sure if its required thoz

Generator

HSC
N/A
You should take the bridging course, as the BCST requires that you take the normal mathematics units rather than the life science units (which only assumes that 2 unit mathematics was studied during the HSC).

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
512070 B Computer Sc & Technology 82.00

Is that it?

If so, I might even consider this - just to kick some ass.

Well, yours. :rolleyes:

What did you get anyways for your UAI Huy? :S... wasn't it 98 or 99... anyways so is this course any good i'm just hearing people say the facilities at USYD for computing is shit.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by sukiyaki
my friend does this course and he told me that he did a bridging course for mathematics extension one, not sure if its required thoz
Does your friend like the course, and can you ask him did any of the maths ext 1 stuff help in it?.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
yup he enjoys the course

friend mention that some maths courses required some assumed 3unit maths but didnt felt the bridging course was useful.

Winston

HSC
Woah cool :D... but can you ask him is the facilities at USYD any good for computing?

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
He says its okay but some the computing equipment are pretty good

Huy

HSC
N/A
Winston,

I don't think I was serious when I considered this course.

*removes it from his list of prefs*

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Winston,

I don't think I was serious when I considered this course.

*removes it from his list of prefs*

LMAO, well if you enjoy programming i'm sure this course will come to interest.

Huy

HSC
N/A
I don't know anything about programming, so this isn't for me.

I'm just here for the girls, going to an all-male school and all... it's a welcome change.

I never really considered other universities, but now, I am.

Things change

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
my sister just finished her first year of it
it is a good course, but it is hard and a lot of hours...i think she had around 25
the maths in it is hard...she did 3 unit and found it hard, but if you just did mathematics, you automatically qualify for a special help service if you need it

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Courtenay
my sister just finished her first year of it
it is a good course, but it is hard and a lot of hours...i think she had around 25
the maths in it is hard...she did 3 unit and found it hard, but if you just did mathematics, you automatically qualify for a special help service if you need it

nice what do you mean by special help service like a free bridging course? :p... can you ask your sister if 3 unit maths is actually like really necessary or just some parts of 3 unit maths would be necessary?

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
calculus is hard in it
not a free bridging course, just support throughout the year which you don't qualify for it you did 3u

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
uh the computing resources at usyd are ok, provided that you can find a spare computer when you need one!! :)

as for the new building, its still in its design stages. i think the final year students are designing it cuz my tutor surveyed us on how we would like the building, but i don't think that matters since its not going to be done in the near future (i mean sometime in the next 3 years) for us to use.

as for the maths, uh the thing with it is that the majority of people just copy the assignments and avoid the 8am math lectures!! uh there is no free briding course but there is a department at the uni (i forget the proper name) that offers free tutoring in maths and other subjects which i THINK is offered to everyone, i'm not sure, you gotta check up on that! but i'd take the bridging course, because later on in 2nd and 3rd years, it starts to get really maths intensive, expecially if you decide to major in programming, multimedia or digital design or something.

Winston

HSC
ok thanks guys... but meh im just deciding between UTS BscIT and this course, because out of honesty for people doing this course do you think it will get you a good job, is what your getting taught actually good and useful, is the teaching methods any good and most of all do employers from large corporation look up to the name "USYD" or they dont care now? Because some say UTS is good with all the good facilities and connections to other companies, and UNSW is also excellent in terms of facilities and connections, and jlh what do you mean if i can get to a PC? what do you mean they dont have enough for students to use?! And are the PC's really slow that you can't even program in them, and a few more questions im planning to major in programming, so i should better off be bridging 3 unit maths?, and is physics any necessary? Thanks

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i'd go to UTS for sure!! i was in the same predicament as you about a year ago. i was leaning towards UTS, but went for usyd's reputation and the fact that after your 3rd year, provided that you have pretty good results, you can transfer into the b. info tech degree without losing any time!!

and what i meant by, if you can get to a pc, when your not in your lab. they don't overfill the pracs so that there are not enough computers, but outside of the lab when you need to use a computer for other purposes!! the comps are pretty speedy, and yes you can do programming on them!!

well i'd do the maths briding course mainly cuz i didn't do any maths in year 12, and they really do recommend it if you plan to major in programming. and i don't think physics is necessary!! i don't know anyone in comp sci that does physics!!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jlh
i'd go to UTS for sure!! i was in the same predicament as you about a year ago. i was leaning towards UTS, but went for usyd's reputation and the fact that after your 3rd year, provided that you have pretty good results, you can transfer into the b. info tech degree without losing any time!!

and what i meant by, if you can get to a pc, when your not in your lab. they don't overfill the pracs so that there are not enough computers, but outside of the lab when you need to use a computer for other purposes!! the comps are pretty speedy, and yes you can do programming on them!!

well i'd do the maths briding course mainly cuz i didn't do any maths in year 12, and they really do recommend it if you plan to major in programming. and i don't think physics is necessary!! i don't know anyone in comp sci that does physics!!

So from your advice really UTS or USYD, i'm so in a half way here and there now i duno becoz it sounds to be i wont be educated well enough from USYD becoz of such poor facilities in comparison to the other two unis that is, but yeah i duno.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
now your putting me on the spot!! i haven't experienced bscit at UTS so i can't comment on it. but what i've heard, comp sci at usyd isn't as recognised as uts, afterall, uts is the uni of technology!!

oh and as for the poor facilities, usyd's facilities arn't poor, i don't know anyone that complains abouts them, except the lack of spare computers in the access centres!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)