• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone doing english Extension 1 or 2 ? :) (1 Viewer)

GabbyS

HSC
Yes - doing English Extension one and two, although no classes scheduled for ext 2 yet. Only subject I'm really excited for!

VenomousCharm

HSC
Doing both. Unfortunately I start school tomorrow and missed out on extension today :( Extension 2 doesn't have classes does it? as far as i know we just schedule times with our teacher for private tutoring

historia

HSC
Yeah Extension one and two, first class is on Friday.. Anyone have some sort of idea as to what they will do for extension 2 yet?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Hey! :) doing 1 and 2 and planning a suite of poetry for my major work, I'm combining philosophy/poetic movements and eras to create a new genre, and am considering making it a performance piece in spoken word. Not exactly certain on the finer details yet but really keen to properly start it! In ext 1 I'm doing After the Bomb, which I voted for so I'm stoked it won. What about you all?

historia

HSC
Lucky you got to vote, my school picked crime writing for extension 1. Should be interesting, haven't read many crime novels.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Lucky you got to vote, my school picked crime writing for extension 1. Should be interesting, haven't read many crime novels.
I wasn't too keen on crime, it was either Romantacism, Gender or After the Bomb for me! But I know people who have done it and loved it so hopefully you will too :)

GabbyS

HSC
My school always does the same units for ext 1 - we're doing crime writing too. Mixed feelings, but hopefully I can use some Agatha Christie as related texts :) I think my teacher does "classes" for ext 2 for this term mainly, in groups until we've got a bit of momentum.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Yes! Ext 1 :) was also deliberating about Ext 2 but decided against it, otherwise I would have two majors.

historia

HSC
I wasn't too keen on crime, it was either Romantacism, Gender or After the Bomb for me! But I know people who have done it and loved it so hopefully you will too :)
I would've voted for Romanticism if I was in your position. I have a strange affection for Wuthering Heights and nature poetry. Probably should've lied and changed my gender to female before I wrote that :D. The texts for After The Bomb seem good though, I liked The Spy Who Came In From the Cold and Catch-22 is supposed to be pretty good.

hfis9

HSC
N/A
Yes I am doing English Extension 1 and 2, our class is doing Science Fiction (should be good). The creative writing could be difficult :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I would've voted for Romanticism if I was in your position. I have a strange affection for Wuthering Heights and nature poetry. Probably should've lied and changed my gender to female before I wrote that :D. The texts for After The Bomb seem good though, I liked The Spy Who Came In From the Cold and Catch-22 is supposed to be pretty good.
In year ten we devoted the entire year of English to a depth study on a single book, I chose Wuthering Heights. I really enjoyed it, btu whether I could spend another whole year pulling it to pieces is in doubt. I love Catch-22, and I'm really into Plath as well.

russ3l

HSC
i believe the 'ways of thinking' module is great, regardless of what era studied :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
i believe the 'ways of thinking' module is great, regardless of what era studied :)
Agreed, great psychoanalytic deconstruction potential and you can really immerse yourself in the era.

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
I'm a 2013er, but good luck to all you guys doing the English Extension courses.

I worked my ass off in year 10 to get into Ex 1 English. Then I got lazy for the first half of year 11, forcing me to work my ass off to scrape a spot for Ex 2 English in year 12. Old habits die hard! In year 12, I never really bothered to put consistent effort for my major work. I stitched up a horrendous story for my Ex 2 trials and got 11/20 for it. Ended up dropping down to English Advanced after trials (even though I was coming like 3rd for Extension 1, people said I was crazy but I didn't want to do Ex 1 without Ex 2) So guys, don't make the same mistakes I did.

Be consistent! Don't slack off thinking you have 7 months to do it.

English Extension is fun. You just have to put the weekly effort in and get constant feedback from teachers, your friends whom are beast at English and other 'intellectuals'. English is not like maths. You can't do a few practice papers the night before and expect to ace it. Writing takes time to develop.

If anyone's doing Mod C Textual Dynamics for English Extension 1, I'd be happy to share my essays (Got 24/25 for first assessment and 14/15 for the speech - apparently my tone of voice wasn't engaging enough to get a 15 haha)

Best of luck guys!

NWO

HSC
What do you ppl do in extension 1 and 2? Write stories? Then thats more interesting than standard...

jessica95

HSC
Also a 2013 HSC student, ranked first in both Advanced and Extension 1. I refused to do Extension 2 as I am quite lazy and saw no interest in it during year 11. I also did Crime for Ext and I LOVED IT. It was engaging and catered for my analytic lens. Although Crime at first glance may seem like a dull and outdated, traditional elective, it is actually quite the opposite; it is dynamic and has an enduring relevance to societal functions. You will be exposed to a variety of crime-texts and sub-texts, from the traditional of Poe and Doyle, to the cosy genre of Christie, the noir/hard-boiled, golden ages and finally to the modern or contemporary. It is through studying a variety of texts that you will see how the genre evolves in response to its context and unlike Advanced where you question "how", in Extension you will question "why". Why has the composer constructed this text in this way? What was his purpose? The answers are complex and in most cases, of the utmost brilliance. Specifically, I loved Michael Ondaatje's novel Anil's Ghost as it perfectly captured the corruption of the government and how in essence, the government is arguably the worst criminal.

Sorry for the long response! If it wasn't obvious, I plan to be an English teacher haha. One piece of advice: It is never too early to start writing, or reading in search for the perfect related text.

Cassandra11

HSC
I'm currently doing Extension 1 and Extension 2 English. Our module for Extension 1 Is 'After The Bomb' and it's really interesting, our classes mostly consist of a class discussion on the topics we are looking at but I find the essay questions we have looked at are hard to understand and incorporate the texts into. Anyone else finding that?

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
Our module for Extension 1 Is 'After The Bomb' and it's really interesting, our classes mostly consist of a class discussion on the topics we are looking at but I find the essay questions we have looked at are hard to understand and incorporate the texts into. Anyone else finding that?
What texts are you studying for ATB?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)