anyone doing Medical Science at ANU? (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
anyone doing Medical science at ANU?

i'm thinking of doing it, but i duno if i should do law. personally im nor really into law, or anything remotely to do with social sciences but it seems like a high paying job. hmmm so what colleges do u guys stay at, and is the b med sci the same as bmed sci at say usyd?

i'm thinking of moving to campus

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
If you aren't into law, obviously don't do it. Best cliche ever : Go with what you feel you'll be best at, whatever occupation you choose - if you're good at it, you'll earn quite alot of money. From memory the occupation that receives the highest amount of money on average are geologists (taken from that government careers websites) since they determine sites for coal mining etc.

The average wage for law isn't actually that high...

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx?PageId=AscoDesc&ASCOCode=2521

$1234 a week before tax.

Can't help with science, sorry, but my advice would be to look at the faculty websites at both universities and check the course structure.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
neo_o said:
If you aren't into law, obviously don't do it. Best cliche ever : Go with what you feel you'll be best at, whatever occupation you choose - if you're good at it, you'll earn quite alot of money. From memory the occupation that receives the highest amount of money on average are geologists (taken from that government careers websites) since they determine sites for coal mining etc.

The average wage for law isn't actually that high...

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx?PageId=AscoDesc&ASCOCode=2521

$1234 a week before tax.

Can't help with science, sorry, but my advice would be to look at the faculty websites at both universities and check the course structure.
cool, this is just a degree that i have to choose if i get into the provisional medicine course, so i dont think it actually matters, as long as i do well in the course that i choose.

BUT i dont wanna move to canberra :(

all my friends are in sydney, and i'm doing kung fu and in a couple of months i will get my sword....damn it

but then again if i do get into the pro. med course i think i will have to go because thats the career path i want, and i wont have to do UMAT or GAMSAT ever.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
dark_angel said:

i'm thinking of doing it, but i duno if i should do law. personally im nor really into law, or anything remotely to do with social sciences but it seems like a high paying job. hmmm so what colleges do u guys stay at, and is the b med sci the same as bmed sci at say usyd?

law and med are the most frequently chosen careers for people who get high UAIs.
I wonder how many people were actually interested and not pressured into them.
Personally I'd love to get into music but I suck, so I'm going to aim for law.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
dark_angel said:
cool, this is just a degree that i have to choose if i get into the provisional medicine course, so i dont think it actually matters, as long as i do well in the course that i choose.

BUT i dont wanna move to canberra :(

all my friends are in sydney, and i'm doing kung fu and in a couple of months i will get my sword....damn it

but then again if i do get into the pro. med course i think i will have to go because thats the career path i want, and i wont have to do UMAT or GAMSAT ever.
Canberra seems fine, and im sure if you get a reference of some sort from where you currently do Kung Fu youll be in the same position down in Canberra - they WOULD have kung fu colleges you know :p

It's not like you can't see your friends in Canberra, someone on the forums said before that some of their friends drive up to Sydney every weekend from ANU, and you'd have to move out eventually at home anyway - This way it's going to be cheaper in the long run since living in Canberra is so damn cheap.

omg_a

HSC
I would definitely say apply for what you actually want to do, don't think about which one will earn you the most money. Fact is if you aren't interested in at all, you will struggle through uni to motivate yourself, and end up working in a job you hate. Lots of people drop out of law because they only did it because they had the uai for it not because they were interested in it.

mack

Banned
HSC
dark_angel said:

I wouldn't recommend you do law if you have no interest in it, and just going for the 'prestige' or 'high income' factor. It's stupid. Also to do law you have to be interested in it, remember it is a 5 year degree, if you have absolutely no interest in law you are likely to drop out a short way into it. You'd also be taking a spot away for someone who truly wants to do law.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
mack said:
You'd also be taking a spot away for someone who truly wants to do law.
and driving up the UAI for us poor sods who actually wanna do it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)