Anyone Doing Physiotherapy? (1 Viewer)

oompaloompaman

HSC
hey dudes!

i'm in year 12 atm and i'm wondering if physiotherapy is a good option...it doesn't seem too bad..and i thought the fact that i did pd as a subject it would help, but then i looked at the course structure and there is so much biology and stuff...yuk!..any opinions on this course?

juggernaut

HSC
yeh im looking to do it too...

for syd the assumed knowledge courses are maths, phys and chem.. so dont worry about the biology..

puffkenny

HSC
yes if u do physio, u'll end up in cumberland campus, the 1 in lidcombe and almost next to Rookwood Cemetary!!!!
and yes, my friend does the course there and he said that he hates the campus. but yeh. It's really up to u

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by puffkenny
yes if u do physio, u'll end up in cumberland campus, the 1 in lidcombe and almost next to Rookwood Cemetary!!!!
and yes, my friend does the course there and he said that he hates the campus. but yeh. It's really up to u
well true tat...but that shouldn't b that much of an issue, its more abt. the course u do!! and personally i wouldn't mind going to lidcombe campus- its not that bad, and its closer to my house. :p

puffkenny

HSC
I'll become a necrophelia....if that's how you spell it, if i go to that campus

Leap

free falling
HSC
I'm at Cumberland campus and I like it. Its much easier to make friends there cause its so much smaller.
By the way, the reason I suggested Occupational therapy is because its a similar area of health care to physio, so if you're interested in physio, you might like OT as well.

Last edited:

danif

HSC
meh. I'm going to try to get into Physio as the field seems much more interesting than OT. But each to their own as they say.

P.S. its necrophiliac ;)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
OT rocks!!
its pretty similar to physio i guess, except OT looks more at the rehab side of things, getting people back into their normal lives, whereas physio tends to be more getting them over their injury.
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/faculty/health/undergrad/occuption-therapy.html

cutoffs for 2004 (from memory, give or take a few marks)
newcastle- 90ish
sydney- 80ish
western sydney- 74ish (normally 80ish)
csu- 80ish

tha_fairy

hey i'm doing physio at usyd right now, and i definately recommend it! it's really excellent, altho it does have long hours, but not as long as the other degrees tho! but yeah, the campus isn't too bad - it grows on u. what leap says is true too - it is alot easier to make friends. the campus is small, so u end up seeing everyone that you've met! and u also don't have to walk far to get to different lectures too - the only thing is that during three hour breaks, theres not much to do. but yeah, if u want more details about it, feel free to ask!

oompaloompaman

HSC
is the course a practical affair? or is it mostly theory on the body and stuff?..cos i was checking some of the details out and there is all this molecular bs..and well..its just not my thing..and what this about every student has to strip down to model for the class?...like what the?...

how bout the career opportunities?..cos i reckon its pretty hard to open up your own practice..so is it mostly in the hospitals and stuff?

tha_fairy

well, the course is a combination of practical and theory, and our bodies are made up of molecules and chemical reactions, therefore, to understand the function of our body systems, which in turn affect the function of the muscles and joints etc you you need to understand the theory first before you put it into practice, which is what we do in 1st year, which is all the molecules, functional anatomy etc. otherwise, you'll pretty much be thrown in the deep end, when it comes to analysing patient's problems.
there is more practical in later years, but first year does have quite alot of theory.

and you do need to take clothes off, for surface anatomy, however, it's not as bad as you think. it is a part of the learning process because u can find landmarks on the body, making it is easier to identify the areas which contribute to the problems.

with career opportunities, to open up your own private practice is difficult,because it would require very long hours, however, it is not impossible. in nsw, physio is only offered at usyd and at newcastle, so it's not like a degree, like commerce, which offers degrees in every single freakn uni, which makes accountants low in demand. physios are high in demand overseas, especially australian physios, and also if u look at the age demographics, we are an aging population, which means that there will need to be physios about to assist with treatment, meaning more job opportunities. you also need to start off in the hospitals as a graduate first, to gain more experience too.
hope this answers any of your questions!

Last edited:

juggernaut

HSC
whats the workload like the_fairy?

when school finishes i know id be the type of person who wants to go out alot n shit like that... not one of those freak students who just dedicate themselves directly to studies straight after school

i mean, is there still room for a fun life?
these younger years r there to go hard n have fun!

tha_fairy

Originally posted by oompaloompaman
ohh Thanks Heaps For The reply!

Do you have any negative thoughts on the course?
well, some of the lectures are boring, and its really hard to concentrate on anything when u have an 8am start!! umm, the only negative things would be the amount of information that you really need to know, because u have to understand the concepts really reallly well, as the following week's information is based on what you have just learnt. it's not such a negative thing though, because it is all still really interesting. one of the subjects is stupid too, i.e. design and research for health sciences, however it is useful later when you're doing honours or a master degree or phD, because it's based mostly on research, if not all.

Originally posted by juggernaut
whats the workload like the_fairy?

when school finishes i know id be the type of person who wants to go out alot n shit like that... not one of those freak students who just dedicate themselves directly to studies straight after school

i mean, is there still room for a fun life?
these younger years r there to go hard n have fun!
well, the workload, as i mentioned above is pretty heavy. however, being in uni, you ARE supposed to have a life, and lecturers do remind you of that, but in order to do that, you have to organise your schedules so that u can 'work and then play'. but yeah, u will have to prioritise what you do - i still go out every weekend, but it means i have to put in more hours during the week of studying. what they actually recommend for physio, because it is a tough course, is that u have to study for every hour that you are at uni, which is 22 hours, meaning you have 44 hours total devoted to studying, being at uni etc. but yes, you do still have a life!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)