Anyone Doing Physiotherapy? (1 Viewer)

tha_fairy

nope, and thank God for that. 22 hours is enough for my brain to hurt already. if you've looked at a timetable, and counted the number of hours, you've got to remember that ALL the tutorial groups have been timetabled, so you're not going to every single class thats been timetabled - only what's applicable to your tute group.

danif

HSC
hey tha_fairy, you seem to know a lot about this :) i heard that the course is quite physically demanding - is there any truth to this? If yes, how so?

tha_fairy

Originally posted by danif
hey tha_fairy, you seem to know a lot about this :) i heard that the course is quite physically demanding - is there any truth to this? If yes, how so?
yeah, i do know quite a bit, because i'm doing the course!! what do u mean by physically demanding? it IS mentally challenging, because it is a tough course, and i've found that during the 5 weeks that i've been at uni, i've been coming home exhausted, and i'm pretty much drained by the end of the week, due to all the information that's been thrown at me. is this what you're refering to?

juggernaut

HSC
danif its physically demanding because its PRACTICAL
its a practical job remember?
your constantly massaging etc.
the course itself requires 1000? clinical hours
so yeh, u can see why they refer to the course as "physically demanding"

danif

HSC
yeh i see your point juggernaut- meh, i assumed it would include a lot of physical work- but for some reason "physically demanding" startled me. I'm really keen on doing the course - but lately ive been having some joint problems in my wrist (man, i sound like im getting old) so yeh, i was just wondering if it would still be wise to consider doing the course.

tha_fairy

danif - if you're really passionate about doing something, then you should pursue it, and not give it up because of a little aspect - shit i sound like some sort of therapist!! but yes, being a physio will be a good profession for you, if you do have wrist problems! because u'll have one of the best connections to meeting some really great physios who can treat u, if you're not getting treatment already, and also because you don't have to do manual therapy, believe it or not. u can major in that, which is generally what most people prefer, however, u can also major in the diagnostic side i think - i'll need to check up on that one - where you're using ultrasound machines etc to treat your patients.

we also don't start doing practical manual therapy until next year - this year is just all the basic sciences to build the foundations.

danif

HSC
heh you're right. i was discussing it with someone else and they were telling me not to do it because of my wrists, but yeh :) i won't listen to them. i just hope i get in now :)

juggernaut

HSC
what is the difficulty of the course like?
is it alot of physics or mathematics or what?

tha_fairy

Originally posted by juggernaut
what is the difficulty of the course like?
is it alot of physics or mathematics or what?
it's a pretty tough course, because you really need to learn alot of work, in a very limited amount of time. i've only been at uni for 6 weeks, and im already having one hour long exams!! but it's not as much maths or physics than it is chem and bio currently. theres only one subject, biomechanics, that really incorporates both maths and physics - we don't do much on either in the other subjects, we just briefly touched on it.

Jessisbored

HSC
i know im intruding...but does anyone know about Occupational Therapy...I'm in deep stress mode atm coz i want to make a decision and the idea of having a really small campus is starting to worry me.

tha_fairy

Originally posted by Jessisbored
the idea of having a really small campus is starting to worry me.
from what other people have said about main campus, a small campus is actually better, because people are alot friendlier, and it's easier to make friends.

juggernaut

HSC
im pumped to do physio

(if not, exercise and sport science hehe)

Jessisbored

HSC
Originally posted by tha_fairy
from what other people have said about main campus, a small campus is actually better, because people are alot friendlier, and it's easier to make friends.
i g uess thats always a bonus...
i dont know yet coz im just thinking about the "whats ifs" but that could be annoying bcoz yu r always with the same ppl them...what if that gets annoying? wow four years of that could be a worry?

Does anyone have any comments?

juggernaut

HSC
haha
annoying cos ur with the same ppl...
didnt you experience high school?

who really cares about shit like that... if u wanna do the course, then go do it... dont worry about things like "a small, shitty campus" or "seeing the same ppl all the time"

tha_fairy

Originally posted by juggernaut

who really cares about shit like that... if u wanna do the course, then go do it... dont worry about things like "a small, shitty campus" or "seeing the same ppl all the time"
i totally agree

Leap

free falling
HSC
Originally posted by Jessisbored
I'm in deep stress mode atm coz i want to make a decision and the idea of having a really small campus is starting to worry me.
Don't worry about it, its really not all that small!
Yes, you are with the same people all the time, but for subjects like Psychology, Sociology and Chemistry you still have really big lectures with 400 people and people from all different degrees.

dancegal

HSC
hey ppl,
yes ive posted before on this topic but its still bugging me...

would an english/history/economics student who has done no HSC science be able to do physio...as in be totally lost even after having done a bridging course in chem and physics?

is there anyone on this board doing physio who was in this situation or know of anyone in the course was? anyone else in yr 12 thinking of doing physio who hasnt done sciences?

thanx,
dancegal

juggernaut

HSC
haha well your courses have zero relation to physio (except english - which is assumed knowledged at other unis physio).. so, you would assume, a person who did HSC chem and phys are going to understand the course better than someone who just does the bridging courses and learns the 'fundamentals'

i cant tell you whether or not these fundamentals will be sufficient to understand the course...

it is a weird situation tho... if you didnt choose any sciences in year 11/12, then are you not a science person?? i wouldnt recommend doing physio then!!

Last edited:

dancegal

HSC
haha...its not that im not a 'science' person... i dont hate science...i just knew i would more easily be able to achieve higher marks with English related subjects/

and anyway, in year 10 when you're 15 years old how are you supposed to know exactly what course you will want to do by the end of the HSC?!?! there must be heaps of ppl who change their minds and go into fields totally unrelated to their HSC subjects.

you have such a narrow minded outlook...i hope you never -gasp- are in a situation where you have several options available to you and are unsure what to do coz well, wouldn't that just be a laugh? haha.

i posted asking for constructive advice - not be condemned and treated like an idiot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)