• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

anyone doing prelim music? (1 Viewer)

watermelon_pie

HSC
hey

i was just wondering if anyone else was doing music, as an elective

i need some pointers in answering some pracise aural questions

NobodyKnows

HSC
Aural's pretty easy if you know your stuff... I take music 1 as well, I can help you if you like. PM me, and I can give you some pointers. :)

In reference to what pieces to perform for haf yearlies - what's your instrument, and what are your topics for your HSC?

sarahxx

zapmaa
HSC
Hey i did music
im doing hsc now
dont get too stressed out doing preliminary performances just think of it as a practice for the real thing next year. im telling you now if you get nervous performing than you really need to start performing pieces infront of people when ever you can and get feed back. whether its infront of music classes in lower grades, at school assemblys or at eistedfords. try busking and get public feed back

watermelon_pie

HSC
i hate performing so much, i just get so nervous.

Do you think that if i play more in front of people i'll get used to it?

oh, i play piano, and i'm doing 7th grade

any suggestions on pieces the markers may like?

NobodyKnows

HSC
Seventh Grade?!?! Omigosh, I'm so jealous... I'm singing for my HSC and I play flute as well - except I'm only like, Fourth at the most. :rolleyes:

The only way you can improve your performance is to do it! I know what it's like, I used to have the worst possible stage fright (I still get a little bad at times) but I finally mastered it last year. My secret is - go out and perform as if you are ALL THAT. Tell yourself that you are the s.hit, the absolute BEST the world has ever seen... give yourself a biiiig pep talk, and you'll be fine. It really works!!!!

Since it's a Prelim performance... do Moonlight Sonata. Something well-known that pianists use in HSC performances all the time should prepare you for the real thing next year.

Good luck!!!!

em
xx

craziigal

HSC
=)

humm.. i do music 2...
but the written part for music 1 and music 2 are different.. isn't it..yes.. it should be..
Performance wise? i'd recommend you choose something that shows off alot on technique and expression...your piece doesnt neccessarily need to be long and dragging on.. about 3-4 minutes is enough..as long as it really is up to standard..really SHOW WHAT YOU GOT!!unsure of wat to play?i got afew pieces if you want to get an idea.. or ask your teachers for their recommendations
for music 2 at least grade 7 and above is relli recommended..

yup i play piano too..we alwayz have to perform as an assessment :mad:
not that i enjoy it at all..got afew people in class doin Lmus and quite afew doin Amus T_T
improve your performance by actually recording it while playin and wen u finished..listen to it and see how u can improve.try to get a hold of a copy of the "composer" or their students playin it.. listen and improve on wat u think is best..and play infront of family members as much as you can.
aural? as in melody dictations and sight singing? I CANT STRESS THIS ENUF BUT PRACTISE PRACTISE AND MORE PRACTISE..get ur teacher to go through as much of this practising as possible!!!

craziigal

HSC
oh yeh.. markers.. i heard they don't mark "jazz" instruments/ pieces as high as the other styles..expression is relli important for romantic..as the technique is relli important for bach and those types of pieces~

watermelon_pie

HSC
Thanks for the help

I just realise i don't know how to set out my answer to the Aural Paper

Do you have to write in an essay style
or can you use point form??

craziigal

HSC
aural? ohh..the one where you listen to and write about the pieces they play?
its however you want to write it..but i prefer point form more..alot quicker and easier to pass ideas along.
I don't kno y but i've forgotten if they give u reading time or not..but.. if i get spare time i usually write the intros to the other questions..
EG. Describe the compositional devices..
i'd go ahead and write before the playing "the compositional devices used in this excerpt are _________" <<not that i think you really need to write in full sentences.. JUST GET THE MAIN POINTS OVER AND YOU'LL GET MARKS FOR IT...

stainmepink

HSC
watermelon_pie said:
i hate performing so much, i just get so nervous.

Do you think that if i play more in front of people i'll get used to it?

oh, i play piano, and i'm doing 7th grade

any suggestions on pieces the markers may like?

7th grade?

by the way can i ask why people look down on music 1 people. im doing music 2, piano. but is ur course actually easier or what. even my music teacher at school looks down on the music 1s.

watermelon_pie

HSC
well, i'm doing music 1, because they don't offer it at my school

i don't really know what the difference is? does anyone? Isn't music 2 for for advanced people or something?

craziigal

HSC
ermm.. i tink u actuli hafta perform more for music 2.. and be able to do music extension in yr12..and i tink the paper is different for music 2 compared to music 1 also..
yeh same here.. my teacher at school don't really encourage us to do music 1 that much.. unless you're not at least in 7th grade.. or if your class is relli competitive in the instrument you're in..and you're not near the top..she advises them to either do music 1 and get top marks or do another instrument in music 2

craziigal

HSC
ermm.. i tink u actuli hafta perform more for music 2.. and be able to do music extension in yr12..and i tink the paper is different for music 2 compared to music 1 also..
yeh same here.. my teacher at school don't really encourage us to do music 1 that much.. unless you're not at least in 7th grade.. or if your class is relli competitive in the instrument you're in..and you're not near the top..she advises them to either do music 1 and get top marks or do another instrument in music 2

stainmepink

HSC
i thought u performed more in music 1, music 2 was more musicology.
oh well we're practically all in the same boat. i never did music in year 9 and 10 so im at a disadvantage. *shrugs*

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Music 1 is more performance, music 2 has much more theory and musicology. The music 1 course is designed for people who either haven't studied music in years 9 and 10 or who haven't been playing for long and aren't up to the technical standard or musical understanding of course 2 work.
The written paper for music 2 is marked more harshly than the paper for music one, although you get askes similar questions, you don't have to go into as much detail.

craziigal said:
oh yeh.. markers.. i heard they don't mark "jazz" instruments/ pieces as high as the other styles..expression is relli important for romantic..as the technique is relli important for bach and those types of pieces~
Not true. Jazz is a very different technical style to classical and romantic style pieces, and is by no means easier! I know some absolutely brilliant classical pianists who can't play jazz, it's a completely different technique and usually involves a lot of improvisation. The markers know these things, and they mark you on how well you present and play your pieces, not what style they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)